Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Got to own a full stack once in your life

The joints I've played and would be likely to play couldn't accommodate a full stack.  Hell, they could barely accommodate a half stack. Living in a townhouse with a real douche bag neighbor next door, a full stack is next to pointless. Since getting the Fractal Axe FX3, my 50w Marshall JVM and 1960 B 4 x 12 have sat gathering dust. For me, owning a full stack would serve but one purpose: check off a box on the list of accomplishments that have no real significance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

...would serve but one purpose: check off another box on the list of accomplishments that have no real significance.

FIFY

...but it would be soooo cool, especially with a DB neighbor.

22 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

FIFY

...but it would be soooo cool, especially with a DB neighbor.

Well, my check list of accomplishments that have no real significance is essentially my life's story so... yeah. Split that hair. Another box. Next...

This was my bedroom rig back around 1980.  Learning to play in the late '70s it was just assumed that everybody needed a full stack.  After a while I came to my senses and "downsized" to a JMP 2203 on a single Marshall slant cab.  By the time the disco era ended and I hooked up with an actual working band, I had downsized again, re-potting the 2203 chassis into a 2x12 combo with EVM12Ls (a DIY version of the amps Neil Giraldo was playing in those days).

spacer.png

These days, my DIY single twelve 18 Watter clone is about 3x more amp than I need.

Well I started playing at age 15 and went 42 years before owning my first full stack. It was a bucket list item for sure.  Now I have 6 of them.  As I tell my wife, just like your closet full of shoes Imelda Marcos that match certain outfits, each cabinet pairs with certain guitars and amp heads yielding a different tonal flavor and purpose.  They are all LOUD AS HELL but fortunately I'm in a place where I can crank them without bothering the neighbors - with ear protection of course.  And yes, it is a very happy place indeed. 

On 3/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, scottcald said:

Every time I see that Spinal Tap picture, that whole dialog runs through my brain and I laugh out loud!

...and as soon as I get done playing the scene in my head, I always fantasize about introducing a tweed Bassman going to "12" into the conversation...

18 minutes ago, rallye440 said:

It's nice to have some stuff in your man cave. Keeps you in good shape lifting and rolling them around frequently.

20210207_210300.jpg

Gawwwwddddddd ** Edit: Floyd and a Kahler in the line up. Nicely played, sir.

1 hour ago, rallye440 said:

It's nice to have some stuff in your man cave. Keeps you in good shape lifting and rolling them around frequently.

Oh WOW that is some serious hardware. What are those amp heads up top? I know I recognize the badge but I can't place it.

9 hours ago, butcher said:

Pics, or it didn't happen.

Here you go.  My favorite kind of wallpaper.  Taken Spring '20.  Two more on the wall to the right.  Added a Metropoulos 12000, Aiken Intruder, Rockitt Retro RR50, Bogner Helios, and Mesa Dual Rectifier since then.

IMG-4455.jpg

1 hour ago, rallye440 said:

20210207_210300.jpg

That's a beautiful thing.  Love redecorating with 4x12s.  I'm hearing Michael Schenker in my head for some reason right now!

47 minutes ago, eddonordo said:

That's a beautiful thing.  Love redecorating with 4x12s.  I'm hearing Michael Schenker in my head for some reason right now!

You are a pervert and I reported you to the Cool Amps And Gear Guild. Send 100w to me now to make this hardship disappear.

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

That's hotter than most of the babes in the red head thread. 

At this stage in my life? Hot red head babe > full stack. No contest.

I got to play through my buddys very strange marshall. it was a blue tolex covered beast with a matching cab that had 6-10's in it. it was a monster crankage and you could hear it 2 blocks away at my house

I once had two late '70s Hiwatt heads about 25 years ago that I bought cheap, a 50-watt DR504 and a 100-watt DR103...and all I had to play through speaker cab-wise at the time was a '80's Marshall 1965B 4x10 cab and a '90's Marshall 1936 2x12 cab.  Owning and trying to use the Hiwatt heads was something I never could do to their full potential for any number of reasons (the heads worked fine BTW, so it wasn't a maintenance issue); so I wound up selling the heads and going to something much more manageable and realistic for my needs.

7 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Oh WOW that is some serious hardware. What are those amp heads up top? I know I recognize the badge but I can't place it.

Those are my DIY amp heads. Friedman, Marshall and Wizard style builds. Just a nice hobby, not business related.

15 hours ago, eddonordo said:

Here you go.  My favorite kind of wallpaper.  Taken Spring '20.  Two more on the wall to the right.  Added a Metropoulos 12000, Aiken Intruder, Rockitt Retro RR50, Bogner Helios, and Mesa Dual Rectifier since then.

IMG-4455.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! 

I like the little brother:

DSC_0295.JPG

Archived