Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Age old Lester questions...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Those Slash pups are the business.  I threw a pair in a Hamer Standard korina which I should have never sold.  

Hell, I just remembered that I have a set of Alnico Pro II Duncans with chrome covers in my pickups stash. I've not been as happy lately with the pickups in my Studio. Time to get out the soldering station.  

One thing I've 'cultivated' over the years (especially being around USA Hamers and those who like them) is a 'champagne taste on a beer budget'.  I went through a LP phase for awhile several years ago, and found that late 80's~early 90's LP Studios satisfied that jones very well.  They had one-piece mahogany bodies with 9-hole weight relief (I never could tell any difference in sound or weight, of course they always had two-piece maple tops), they went to two-piece mahogany bodies around 1995 (I avoided those), and most had ebony fingerboards...think 'poor man's LP Custom'.  Plus they were relatively cheap at the time (about $750 or so, give or take $100), of course prices have gone up since then.  I don't have those anymore, I'm pretty much into Teles and Partscasters now, but if I had to recommend buying a LP to thrash on a budget, it'd be a late '80's~early '90's LP Studio.  Just my $0.02.

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Ooh...  would love to see a pic of this guitar you’re not selling. 

Would also love to hear how the Gustavvson’s compare to the Monaco Elite. I was just looking at some Gustavvson’s this morning on a whim. Not that I’m in the market for one. But if the Monaco Elite compares favorably to it, then that would be great to hear. 

I deliberately refrained from posting pix. Seems like that gets further off topic and leads to hijacking the thread.

Options(?)

1. Start  new thread.....Maybe something like,  "If not a Lester (with a G), What?" We could have a bunch of new/old guitar pron. Or

2. Leave that more detailed discussion to TGP. 😉

19 minutes ago, crunchee said:

One thing I've 'cultivated' over the years (especially being around USA Hamers and those who like them) is a 'champagne taste on a beer budget'.  I went through a LP phase for awhile several years ago, and found that late 80's~early 90's LP Studios satisfied that jones very well.  They had one-piece bodies with 9-hole weight relief (I never could tell any difference in sound or weight), they went to two-piece bodies around 1995 (I avoided those), and most had ebony fingerboards...think 'poor man's LP Custom'.  Plus they were relatively cheap at the time (about $750 or so, give or take $100), of course prices have gone up since then.  I don't have those anymore, I'm pretty much into Teles and Partscasters now, but if I had to recommend buying a LP to thrash on a budget, it'd be a late '80's~early '90's LP Studio.  Just my $0.02.

I had an LP Studio from that era.  It was white w/ebony.  It got stolen, and with the insurance money, I got the 78 LPC. 

It was a great guitar if I remember correctly, though I was still learning how to play.  I thought I saw it pop up on Craigslist back at Christmas - it was stolen over 20 years ago.  Never could get in touch with whomever, but same year and same color.  Plus, I put Seth Lovers in it with chrome covers despite the guitar having gold hardware.  This one had chrome w/gold as well. 

18 minutes ago, django49 said:

I deliberately refrained from posting pix. Seems like that gets further off topic and leads to hijacking the thread.

Options(?)

1. Start  new thread.....Maybe something like,  "If not a Lester (with a G), What?" We could have a bunch of new/old guitar pron. Or

2. Leave that more detailed discussion to TGP. 😉

New thread! New/ old pron!

image.gif

15 hours ago, RobB said:

I dunno. Maybe. Probably. I have a ‘95 LP Classic Prem+ that is as nice as any R60 I’ve run across. Maybe I got lucky? I don’t feel a Historic/CS would be worth double the price. I’m very stoked with the Classic. 

I've owned a '92 Classic Prem+ with Pearly Gates for the past 14-15 years, and its a beast. Love it. I like it much better than a 2013 70s Tribute I have. I'm no expert but based on what I have, I believe Gibson was putting out some good stuff in the early 90's thru late 90's. What I like about the early Classics is that they seem to be built 'above their pay grade', so to speak, not to mention the headstocks had no reference to "Classic"... To my untrained eye, I would not be able to differentiate them from the LP Standards although I'm certain many could. I also have a '96 SG '61 RI that I love, the quality is awesome on it as well. So maybe I'm lucky too, or maybe it was a good era for Gibson.

Btw, I have a friend who "went through a whole room full of LP's" to find the one that tripped his trigger... He later sold it and went straight Hamer, if that tells you anything. He made his living with guitars and skills. Out of over a dozen Hamers, I have no bad ones. Definitely there are some that I prefer, but none are just so-so. I have played bad Gibsons.

OP...

1) PG off

2) Based on my '92 Classic, I have great difficulty believing that for the price difference of the Historics, etc., that you would be getting substantial returns for your investment. If you have no debt and are pretty well set with money to burn, then why not? Enjoy life.

I didn't know we were sharing pictures.  Here are mine, heaviest on the left and lighter as you go.

image.png

Not surprisingly, the '73 Deluxe is tied with the Aria Pro II as the heaviest at a whopping 8lb 13oz (find another < 9lb Norlin).  From there, the Yaron is 8lb 12oz, the Chibson 8lb 9oz, and the all hog MIJ Epi Custom is 8lb 3oz.  It's an LP thread, we have to list weights, right?  I agree with @DaveL about the ABR bridge with the posts straight into the wood and it's something these five all have in common.  F the Nashville tune-o-matic. That's also the spec that I found attractive in the 90-93 Classics.

Re: the 5-10% thing...my Yaron is as good a Les Paul as I've got my hands on, but it wouldn't shock me if there are GCS guitars that are better.  I may feel that way because Gil gave me a very fair deal that was inline with GCS street pricing.  Had I paid $10k it would be a much better guitar.  Quality with Gibson is a numbers game.  Small luthiers build several dozen guitars a year and they're all stellar.  Gibson builds thousands of guitars a year and several dozen are stellar.

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

2) Based on my '92 Classic, I have great difficulty believing that for the price difference of the Historics, etc., that you would be getting substantial returns for your investment. If you have no debt and are pretty well set with money to burn, then why not? Enjoy life.

I'll see if I ever have no debt and money to burn if I take that view, lol.  

I think I grew up a little too austere at times to be comfortable having an instrument over $3k.  I was looking at some reissues and kept thinking, "That would put a porch on the house or remodel a bathroom."   I had a great korina standard that, seeing how much they seem to be going for now, I should have sat on, but (and I'm going to be murdered now) I just like Explorers more for whatever reason.  It was a really love guitar and an great example of just how great Hamer can be, but I never really got over feeling I had a lot of money tied up in an objectively lovely and better built guitar when there were guitars out there that scratched that itch for 1/3 the price used.   I'm a bit impulsive, but I do have a practical streak.  My current Explorer is nowhere near as well built as that Hamer, but I play it more than I ever played the Hamer.  Go figure.

That being said, every day I wish I'd never sold my Tally.  I loved that guitar, sold it for a completely stupid reason, and will never be able to purchase another one again at anywhere close to the $1500 I paid for it.   For me, that was "the" Hamer and just a damn unique guitar that wasn't quite like anything else.   But having to shell out what they go for now to replace it in my collection is just too much salt in the wound, one for which there is no one to blame but myself. 

I own 6 Gibson LP guitars, but 2 of them are exceptional.

The 1st is my "jimmy Wallace".

I bought my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58RI "Prototype"  LP Standard back in '84 for $500.

I gigged this guitar for about 5 yrs. without even knowing what I'd bought.

Once I finally found out what I had on my hands, I stopped gigging it for fear of knocking it off the guitar stand or having it stolen at a gig.

This guitar has the perfect neck and it plays and sounds amazing.

50017221813_c1e02223ba_b.jpg

The second amazing LP I own I also picked up for a killer price last year is my

'00 Gibson Amber Classic Premium Plus LP

I think the neck feels perfect for me and I actually like the stock pickups loaded in this guitar.

The snot green inlays don't bother me one bit, I think this guitar has an amazing top.

49771543142_541a4e081a_b.jpg

I've owned two. My first real guitar was a 1991 Studio Lite. No complaints, good guitar, traded it in towards my Kendrick 2410 (Bassman). My second real guitar was the "Custom Shop Edition" Special I still have, and served as my only electric for almost a decade. It's one of those amazing guitars that just does everything you expect and more. Haven't found its equal after 27 years.

The bottom line when it comes to Les Pauls (and Gibsons in general) is this: Pay no attention to price or trim level. I've played $5k+ CS and Historics that were beautiful boat anchors, and bordering on ugly or plain-Jane "regular" models that were tone monsters.

Whatever feels right and sounds right is right. If you can afford the one that speaks to you, get it. Don't stop looking because one that's doing it for you is a second mortgage and a kidney away. Keep playing em until lightning strikes. There are great LPs from (almost) every year and trim. There are just a lot more that are "meh," so play before you pay, regardless of year or model.

And pickguards only belong on some goldtops and tuxedo customs!

I know jack shit about LP's other than I wanted one in the worst way back in my 'tweens. Hey, Ace played one and he was the guitar idol at that time. I settled for a Hondo II LP copy in tobacco burst.

I had a blue Studio Lite for a brief time in the early 90's, too short to really be of any help here. My only other LP is the Custom Shop Axcess dog I still have for the moment. I feel confident in saying that this one is not a good model for answering OP's questions. It's chambered, it has a factory Floyd and the hardware was complete shit. Essentially, all the items that make an LP an LP are missing from this. But at least it looks like an LP. :P

And I couldn't imagine this with a pickguard. Yuck.

LP AXCESS.jpg

22 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I know jack shit about LP's other than I wanted one in the worst way back in my 'tweens. Hey, Ace played one and he was the guitar idol at that time. I settled for a Hondo II in tobacco burst.

I had a blue Studio Lite for a brief time in the early 90's, too short to really be of any help here. My only other LP is the Custom Shop Axcess dog I still have for the moment. I feel confident in saying that one is not a good model for answering OP's questions. It's chambered, it has a factory Floyd and the hardware was complete shit. Essentially, all the items that make an LP an LP are missing from this. But at least it looks like an LP. :P

And I couldn't imagine this with a pickguard. Yuck.

LP AXCESS.jpg

The biggest problem I see keeping that from being like more orthodox LPs is that the D and G strings probably actually stay in tune, haha.

Like I said, I'd love to get an HP.   I'm all about finding how one with the titanium zero fret, sculpted heel, and wider fretboard feels.  Lester fans are conservative even for guitarists, and, while I know John Sykes, Zakk Wylde, and Randy had no problem burning the board down on LPCs,  I think there's definitely room in the line up for some modern variations. 

Which, as I bring up more questions here, makes me wonder why guitarists are so conservative but bassists seem quite open to innovation.  

Definately no pick gaurd, mine came in the case (No holes for it from the factory) and I like it that way. Not they don't look alright, just not my preference. I played a ton of LP's to find this one and it isn't without flaws. Even with locking tuners and minor nut work it still doesn't stay in tune as good as any of my Hamer's but it's not bad. That being said, I also don't care for pickup covers either but I've been too damn lazy to take these off.

LP.jpg

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

The biggest problem I see keeping that from being like more orthodox LPs is that the D and G strings probably actually stay in tune, haha.

Like I said, I'd love to get an HP.   I'm all about finding how one with the titanium zero fret, sculpted heel, and wider fretboard feels.  Lester fans are conservative even for guitarists, and, while I know John Sykes, Zakk Wylde, and Randy had no problem burning the board down on LPCs,  I think there's definitely room in the line up for some modern variations. 

Which, as I bring up more questions here, makes me wonder why guitarists are so conservative but bassists seem quite open to innovation.  

I hear ya re D and G dude! File the nut for D and G and slightly angle towards the coresponding string post then use a little nut sauce.  Lol. He said nut sauce... Beavis... 

32 minutes ago, jettster said:

Definately no pick gaurd, mine came in the case (No holes for it from the factory) and I like it that way. Not they don't look alright, just not my preference. I played a ton of LP's to find this one and it isn't without flaws. Even with locking tuners and minor nut work it still doesn't stay in tune as good as any of my Hamer's but it's not bad. That being said, I also don't care for pickup covers either but I've been too damn lazy to take these off.

LP.jpg

I like the pickup covers on the blander ones (subjective I know) but a beautiful finish like yours and Diablos look great without. I dont have the heart to put one on mine and mine doesn't even have as nice of a grain as your guys. 

Just now, Cuda75 said:

I like the pickup covers on the blander ones (subjective I know) but a beautiful finish like yours and Diablos look great without. I dont have the heart to put one on mine and mine doesn't even have as nice of a grain as your guys. 

*pick guard* 

I think it's funny to read about guys like Eddie and other trem bar users prior to Floyd's and how they would kinda flick the bar back quickly to not the guitar back in tune. I've gotten accustomed to doing that with any Gibson I have with the original net angle above the nut.  If I'm out of tune as a song goes, a lot of times, I place a finger across the nut and give it a quick squeeze which, most of the time, knocks it back in.

And yeah, definitely not an issue on any Hamer I've owned, but also not really an issue on Norlins with the shallower neck angle for me either. 

People either love the color or hate it. I liked it because it was different then your typical faded cherry burst. It came to me,  I wasn't looking for a Lester per se, the price was right. The original owner didn't install the PG, and I don't have the heart to install it even though the top isn't AAA or possibly even AA. Lol. 

20181122_123846_resize_70.jpg

The pickguard question is one that is never going to go away. Depends on the player, and on the guitar. Some colors just look BETTER with the pickguard, IMHO. A Black Les Paul almost looks naked without it. Same with the gold top. And if you are going for the more "vintage" look, that needs to have the pickguard. Many also use it as a support for their ring and pinky fingers, so they would need it for that.

The "Historic" and "Reissue" guitars are nice, but honestly some of the features they have are of questionable worth. There's also that fact that they keep changing the specifications, so you never really know what's really "good" and what isn't. Like, with the use of Hide Glue. I think now the "Real Historic" versions use it in more places than just the neck joint. However the original Historic / reissues I don't think used any at all, but they were still quite expensive.

I know plenty of Les Paul fans whose "ideal" Les Paul is the Les Paul Classic or Les Paul traditional.

3 minutes ago, The Shark said:

I think some Sunburst Les Paul's look killer without a guard. It's really specific to each guitar.  But nobody, and I mean nobody, likes Gold Tops without the guard...

gcNLRoS.jpg

Slash says don't hate, appreciate... owning one of each.
image.png

I have two Customs, a Standard, a Goldtop Deluxe, a Special, and an XPL.  Pickguards on the Customs, Deluxe, and Special, off on the Standard, and the XPL never had one.  It depends on the guitar and the color/finish.

As for what models are good or better than others, I have found LP's to be inconsistent.  SG's too.  I have played $6000 ones that I thought were garbage and $500 ones that were magic.  People always love my Standard which is an '81 and should be sub-Standard (pun intended) since it's Norlin-era but it's my favorite one.  With Gibsons, I think it's a must to pick it up and play it to know whether it's a "good" one.

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

As for what models are good or better than others, I have found LP's to be inconsistent.  SG's too.  I have played $6000 ones that I thought were garbage and $500 ones that were magic.  People always love my Standard which is an '81 and therefore a Norlin-era and it's my favorite one.  With Gibsons, I think it's a must to pick it up and play it to know whether it's a "good" one.

I had a good SG standard. No neck dive. Sounded and played great. Then I got a complex about owning a solid color guitar (it was black) and sold it.

SHOULDA. NEVER. DONE. THAT.  Oh well.  I picked up a used 2006 Natural Burst SG Standard, and it's "close enough" to that previous one that I'm mostly over it. I love those 498T and 490R pickups.

Archived