Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Age old Lester questions...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, murkat said:

and if the snotty yellow green traps bug ya too much you could always get them switched out ;)

Absurd.  A used R7 is roughly $2250 and a better guitar with resale value.  

Assuming you would have to pay someone to do that, which over 99% of the guitar playing population would have to, why would you even bother?

I've got an R9.  Wasn't looking for one per se, but there it was.  This one has a mismatched top as well as a couple of dings from the previous owner.  Price was good at the time compared to nicer looking ones.  Not the prettiest, but a good player.  Kind of like that girl in high school with the unattractive face but a killer bod.   It's my only Lester, no better or worse than others I suppose.  

LP2 - Copy (2).jpg

LP1 - Copy.jpg

1 hour ago, Greg G said:

I've got an R9.  Wasn't looking for one per se, but there it was.  This one has a mismatched top as well as a couple of dings from the previous owner.  Price was good at the time compared to nicer looking ones.  Not the prettiest, but a good player.  Kind of like that girl in high school with the unattractive face but a killer bod.   It's my only Lester, no better or worse than others I suppose.  

LP2 - Copy (2).jpg

LP1 - Copy.jpg

That is one to have? Very nice

3 hours ago, Greg G said:

Not the prettiest, but a good player.  Kind of like that girl in high school with the unattractive face but a killer bod.  

Turn her around or turn the lights out. She’ll still feel and sound amazing...

6 hours ago, Travis said:

Turn her around or turn the lights out. She’ll still feel and sound amazing...

Reminds me of one of Benjamin Franklin's(?) axioms... "All cats are gray in the dark". 🤣

Nothing to do with the OP question, but at least getting back to LPs, I think for me the most intriguing USA plant release in a while was the Goddess LP over a decade ago.  2H, 3-way, single V & T, and wraptail on a reduced thickness and chambered mahogany body with maple cap.  

Pickups and knobs would need changing, but the thinner body, wrapper, and two knob config is cool.

Oh, and they came in a host of "girl" colors that were pretty horrible, but they wrapped up the series with basic black.

Edited to add:  Were Gibson to refine this idea a bit and offer a 2 pickup and single pickup version to include humbucker and P90 options I think they would sell.  Who doesn't need an archtop Special or Junior.

CF6N3RRUsAEyBjI.jpg

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

Nothing to do with the OP question, but at least getting back to LPs, I think for me the most intriguing USA plant release in a while was the Goddess LP over a decade ago.  2H, 3-way, single V & T, and wraptail on a reduced thickness and chambered mahogany body with maple cap. 

Yeah, I could see where that would make it easier to smash.

35 minutes ago, cynic said:

Pickups and knobs would need changing, but the thinner body, wrapper, and two knob config is cool.

Oh, and they came in a host of "girl" colors that were pretty horrible, but they wrapped up the series with basic black.

CF6N3RRUsAEyBjI.jpg

Reminds me of the Les Paul Lite they put out in the 80's.  I believe I remember those even having a Floyd option (or maybe they all had them).  The wrap would have been better, but I am certain you couldn't have convinced any of us of that in 1988.

11 minutes ago, cynic said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn they had a bunch of these thin Goddess bodies laying around in the "didn't sell well" pile and used them for the 2019ish revisit of the Lite series. 

You can bet on it.

Keep an eye out for the R19 Les Paul Goddess Custom Shop Reissue.
It will be those exact leftover guitars, just priced $1000 higher.

38 minutes ago, velorush said:

Reminds me of the Les Paul Lite they put out in the 80's.  I believe I remember those even having a Floyd option (or maybe they all had them).  The wrap would have been better, but I am certain you couldn't have convinced any of us of that in 1988.

They still make them, I believe you're referring to the Les Paul Axcess:

image.png

34 minutes ago, cynic said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn they had a bunch of these thin Goddess bodies laying around in the "didn't sell well" pile and used them for the 2019ish revisit of the Lite series. 

My guess is unfinished Axcess Lesters.

9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

They still make them, I believe you're referring to the Les Paul Axcess.

No, this was much earlier even than the Schon LP prototype. It was an extremely thin body with a belly contour and offered in 80’s colors: 

https://reverb.com/item/34891030-gibson-les-paul-custom-lite-1988-metallic-pink?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34891030

51 minutes ago, velorush said:

No, this was much earlier even than the Schon LP prototype. It was an extremely thin body with a belly contour and offered in 80’s colors: 

https://reverb.com/item/34891030-gibson-les-paul-custom-lite-1988-metallic-pink?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=34891030

Oh wow! I remember those! Completely forgot about them.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:51 AM, velorush said:

Visions of Kingdom Clone...

On 3/18/2021 at 9:51 PM, velorush said:

Yup, I have a Guitar Player magazine with Michael Schenker posing with the same color LPC lite

On 3/19/2021 at 12:51 AM, velorush said:

Wow! Studio Lites were nothing like that Custom Lite! My first was a 1991 tobacco burst Studio Lite, and they weren't thinner than a regular Studio or contoured. They were just "weight relieved" by routing out the mahogany and filling the voids with Chromyte (balsa wood). Studio Lites had hotter ceramic pups than Studios (w/o covers) and gold or black hardware instead of chrome. Mine was still a brick, but was the lightest of the available stock when I bought it. If it was thinner and contoured, I might have kept it... or regretted trading it...

3 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Yup, I have a Guitar Player magazine with Michael Schenker posing with the same color LPC lite

That finish was called Sunset Metallic.  I played a Custom Lite goldtop for several years.

q3vw3sp66qxv1akalhbv.jpg

mqnrawnnalz77w4oua38.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 1:31 PM, cynic said:

Edited to add:  Were Gibson to refine this idea a bit and offer a 2 pickup and single pickup version to include humbucker and P90 options I think they would sell.  Who doesn't need an archtop Special or Junior.

CF6N3RRUsAEyBjI.jpg

Cool! I didn't know about those.  But I have a thin, light mahogany guitar with a volume, tone, three way, and wrap-around bridge.  It's a PRS Mira.  No maple cap nor chambering, though (not much room for chambering).  It's my best playing guitar. Not quite the best sounding--and it doesn't sound like an LP--but the one I play the most.  

Archived