Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Boogie Price Check

Steve Haynie

Question

16 answers to this question

Depends on what version it is. Usually that would be a Mark I, which wouldn't have any type of model number on it.

The Hardwood and Wicker Grill were options from the early days onward, and Keith Richards definitely had one like that made in 1977.

I do not know the year of production of my old one. Might have been LATE 70s.....I had a MK II so equipped, with a 15" EVM. Great amp and the wood cabinet and wicker was a real beauty. Might have been bubinga(?) No doubt worth a lot more than I bought and sold it for back then (used). IIRC, the hardwood cabinet was a several hundred dollar upcharge. And I think it is into 4 figures these days.

Mid 70s is mark i or equivalent. Mark iia late 70s/early 80s no effects loop. Mark iib had effects loop. And they got more and more complex each step. 

I have an old mark iic+ Hardwood and wicker. They look good.  the old marks are awesome, heavy, stout and capable of serious volume. Big iron. The evm12l is usually in there and a heavy speaker, too. 

and still great customer service from the original shop.  Just pop out the chassis and mail it in and comes back from the folks that built it nice and tuned up.

original mark i amps command high prices.  More w hardwood. Did I say they are heavy?  .....

I sold my Mark llB for $1200.00 about 6 months ago. It was my main gigging amp for almost 2 decades. also had an anvil case. Excellent condition. I couldn't haul it around anymore!

10 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

I am looking at a beaten up amp, not a bedroom kept example.

What tubes are in it? You often see ones from that era that still have the original old production USA power tubes in them, still with lots of life left.

What kind of speaker does it have? I'm not that much on the up and up on the early Mesas, but I can certainly ask mesa gearheads I know.

Also, make sure that the cabinet isn't plywood. I've seen more than a few people who stripped the tolex off cabinets and stained them to look more like the expensive hardwood examples.

Whats the price of a hernia operation these days? You have to weigh in all the pros and cons. LOL 

If you are looking to buy one and you can get it local then do it. I wouldn't ship one of those anywhere anymore without a road case, four leaf clover, and the winning Lotto numbers. 

Price wise, I would try to be in the range of $1500. EQ, no EQ? Any other options? 

8 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Whats the price of a hernia operation these days? You have to weigh in all the pros and cons. LOL 

If you are looking to buy one and you can get it local then do it. I wouldn't ship one of those anywhere anymore without a road case, four leaf clover, and the winning Lotto numbers. 

Price wise, I would try to be in the range of $1500. EQ, no EQ? Any other options? 

I agree.  $1500 is more reasonable than $2000.  They are heavy even without the wood cabinet.  With the wood, you better be in good shape!

On 3/14/2021 at 11:37 PM, Steve Haynie said:

I am looking at a beaten up amp, not a bedroom kept example.

YES!

There's a 60 watt mark ii with a repainted cab for $750 on the local CL. poster also says it has an EV and Mike B's initials on the chassis.  I already have a ii-b in oak and wicker with the eq and reverb so I don't need another ii lol. Darc used to have a similar 60 watter that was incredible (last seen in SF).

The value depends on what type of wood (Koa mahogany and flame maple are the most expensive) and any options like eq or reverb or 60/100 watt switching (I don't think simul-class was available until the mk iii). Seems like a lot of sellers had road cases, which are nice but will have disintegrating foam by now. I'm still picking foam out of the wicker on mine lol.

I still don't understand why everyone says "signed by Mike B!" in their descriptions. He was the final inspector for pretty much every amp in the mid 80s, so his initials are on pretty much every Mark series boogie up through the end of the Mark II series. Most of the Mark IIIs that I see are also signed by him.

45 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I still don't understand why everyone says "signed by Mike B!" in their descriptions. He was the final inspector for pretty much every amp in the mid 80s, so his initials are on pretty much every Mark series boogie up through the end of the Mark II series. Most of the Mark IIIs that I see are also signed by him.

Back in those days it was commonplace for Mike B to sign off and initial, but it's just a cool factoid like a blackguard Tele with Tadeo's sig in the neck pocket or pickups with Josefina's sig.  Leo Fender didn't sign many guitars (he was too busy building tooling and having fun with the machinery).  In an age of mass produced gear, it's cool to think that a specific legendary individual had worked on a specific piece.  Every time I pick up my Shishkov, I'm amazed that one guy could build such a great guitar (with the help of another guy who winds incredible pickups).

I think Mike B also used to sign off mods (like iib or iic to iic+ which are the ones that are more desirable) so it's also everybody hoping that Mike worked some magic under the hood.  I got my Simul 295 power amp back from service years ago with a handwritten note on the receipt saying the amp 'puts out a very healthy 90 watts per side'.  It's loud enough on the 30 watt setting lol.

Archived