Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Replacing the Lester With...?

Dovetailing off the earlier Lester thread...

I'm considering replacing my Gibby LP Axcess. But with what? I'm need to channel some serious pre-80's hair classic rock. I can tolerate Gibby scale and 22 frets as the classic rock I'm thinking of usually doesn't require much if anything above the 19th.

The only requisites are no Strats, and it look the part ( no modern shapes or finishes) Naturally, must have a Floyd. Set necks and beefy, mahogany bodies would be swell!

This popped up on the Hamer FB page a few days ago and despite the myriad red flags this presents, it has essentially  what I'm looking for. Classic look/bloodline, whammy bar and well, it's a Hamer. Can't go wrong there. But the shit-tastic refin and the prospect of a non-disclosed head stock repair, to say nothing of the dodgy date of the serial # - at that price? no f-ing way. 

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--SXmKE8IZ--/f_auto,t_large/v1614978840/vmaijlzri2vry0t4ijs7.jpg

Other options might be an FB, Floyded Sunburst or Studio. A V would be cool but has limited appeal due to PITA to play seated.

Thoughts?

In terms of Hamers...

No affiliation, but this has been on my Reverb "watch" list for a while:

https://reverb.com/item/37075366-hamer-sunburst-cherry-sunburst-flamed-top-90ies-bound-and-crown-extremely-rare-version-with-floyd-rose

There are a couple 2 HB Floyd/Boomer Firebirds up, too. Black for $4300 and white for 3600. Everything else with a FR is a strattish outline (Chap/Cali/Diablo), one HSS TLE, or a "modern" shape.

I'd keep the Axcess. You may very well regret selling it later (that is if you're planning to sell it). If you're really not happy with the Axcess and just not bored, grab a Hamer of sorts, '80s Hamers were definitely fun, or any properly modded one.

1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

In terms of Hamers...

No affiliation, but this has been on my Reverb "watch" list for a while:

https://reverb.com/item/37075366-hamer-sunburst-cherry-sunburst-flamed-top-90ies-bound-and-crown-extremely-rare-version-with-floyd-rose

There are a couple 2 HB Floyd/Boomer Firebirds up, too. Black for $4300 and white for 3600. Everything else with a FR is a strattish outline (Chap/Cali/Diablo), one HSS TLE, or a "modern" shape.

That Sunburst would scratch the itch for sure-  but not at that price. Oof. 😬

11 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

How about a Floyd-equipped Iceman? That body shape fairly screams "'70s".

Yeah, had one of those a while back that I painted and upgraded... but I like where you're at!

DSCF0550.jpg

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

A V would be cool but has limited appeal due to PITA to play seated.

Thoughts?

V’s are incredibly comfortable to play seated. 

in the classical position....

35 minutes ago, Travis said:

V’s are incredibly comfortable to play seated.

in the classical position....

Yup. Which is why I don't like playing them seated. Nothing classy about my playing. :P

9 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Cough, cough... Scepter! 🤘

Nope- not classic rock enough- much too hair rock-ish for 70's shit.

5 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I'm need to channel some serious (pre-80's hair classic rock)

Oops, sorry I read that wrong 😆... I'm having a hard time thinking of pre 80s  classic rock songs that used  tremolo... except for EVH

23 minutes ago, cynic said:

If you don't want to invest a lot you can find the STM models for well under a grand.

crwfnmihqxrp2ogfgavv.jpg

oubqt94bcmeknays0of4.jpg

Good call.  I came close to purchasing several versions of these in years past and always stopped short. Something about the mojo of the older MIJ Grecos and Ibby's that these don't seem to have. I also believe these are bolt on. Would prefer to have the set neck versions.

41 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Oops, sorry I read that wrong 😆... I'm having a hard time thinking of pre 80s  classic rock songs that used  tremolo... except for EVH

Um...there was also some guy named Henrickson, er... Henson, Jimmy Henson? OH! Jimmy Heindricks!

I recomend a Gibson V 90. 24 frets, Floyd, a integrated Steinberger construction to play sitting, huuuuge sounding and very comfortable playing even to the 24fth fret. Coil split.  Neck PU is a single coil but sounds great. Not easy to find. My white one I could dig last year I play very often cause it's so phantastic. If you can live without a Floyd defenitively buy a Hamer Vector Korina (and then mount a Floyd, but don't show it here :)) Serious: the Vector brings the tone you need. 

20200617083019_IMG_3268.JPG

20200121_160517.jpg

Archived