Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA A 4 digit Standard with a floyd on it

You can ask whatever you want for a guitar or anything else for that matter but getting it.............................too many changes on this one from what it was when it WAS original. Serious buyers only at over 7K? NOPE!

There's a lot going on there.

• The "burst" on the upper horn doesn't look right to me. Maybe it's original, but I don't recall seeing another faded that way.
  • The truss rod cover is wrong.
  • No photos of the back?
  • Creme/black bobbin orientation is set up @MCChris-style, which gives me OCD fits.
  • The 1st sentence, "Used 'reconditioned' like new 1979 Hamer Standard Explorer in near mint condition" is incongruous and grammatically nonsensical.
  • The price, which only an "original owner" could ask.  Clearly he's in love with the guitar and probably shouldn't be selling it, or he has no idea what it's worth.  Neither is acceptable.

But at least the frets are over the binding. Incorrect for a collector, but so right for everything else.

15 minutes ago, DaveL said:

That finish on the tip of the wing is bizarre.  

Looks like they were trying to get a similar look to #0002, pictured at the top of page 40 in The Book. Problem is, they went way too solid all the way around the edges, which just looks wrong/non-factory. Another Standard on page 67 rocks a similar finish, but both of those have a better blend and aren't opaque at the edge.  Given the refin, truss rod cover, electronics changes and other questions, that's definitely an "asking ain't selling" price. It's also described as "Neck through," but there are no pics of the back or heel/blend. Did they even make any 4-digit Standards with neck-through instead of set neck construction? Was that an option on FR-equipped Standards?

19 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

Dig they wood burn in a serial number?! What am I looking at here?

4-digits were stamped instead of inked, but those look a bit... odd. Weird serial stamp, bad refin, truss rod cover wrong, headstock logo doesn't match size and location of other 4-digit Standards... IS THIS THING EVEN A REAL USA? It's so far from original, I'm seriously wondering.

It’s a badly refinished ‘83/‘84.  SO much wrong with that one.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, cmatthes said:

It’s a badly refinished ‘83/‘84.  SO much wrong with that one.

Yeah, definitely an 84.  My 4 digit short scale bass is in the low 700s, and logged into the books in May 1984.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, kizanski said:

The 1st sentence, "Used 'reconditioned' like new 1979 Hamer Standard Explorer in near mint condition" is incongruous and grammatically nonsensical.

Ask if they're willing to trade for a vintage copy of Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style".  

On 3/21/2021 at 11:10 AM, Drew816 said:

Dig they wood burn in a serial number?! What am I looking at here?

HAMER ABSOLUTELY DID NOT HAND WOOD BURN SN's!!! At least as far as I know.

I can smell the ocean from here.

rdm20xmnkavdgxzpga2z.jpg

gsfcnfxb5mpjcvtnkoza.jpg

Just now, Ham Rex said:

HAMER ABSOLUTELY DID NOT HAND WOOD BURN SN's!!! At least as far as I know.

I can smell the ocean from here.

rdm20xmnkavdgxzpga2z.jpg

gsfcnfxb5mpjcvtnkoza.jpg

Looks like a one piece neck too...

On 3/21/2021 at 11:47 AM, joshoowah said:

Looks like they were trying to get a similar look to #0002, pictured at the top of page 40 in The Book. Problem is, they went way too solid all the way around the edges, which just looks wrong/non-factory. Another Standard on page 67 rocks a similar finish, but both of those have a better blend and aren't opaque at the edge.  Given the refin, truss rod cover, electronics changes and other questions, that's definitely an "asking ain't selling" price. It's also described as "Neck through," but there are no pics of the back or heel/blend. Did they even make any 4-digit Standards with neck-through instead of set neck construction? Was that an option on FR-equipped Standards?

4-digits were stamped instead of inked, but those look a bit... odd. Weird serial stamp, bad refin, truss rod cover wrong, headstock logo doesn't match size and location of other 4-digit Standards... IS THIS THING EVEN A REAL USA? It's so far from original, I'm seriously wondering.

Can someone tell me which book you speak of? Maybe point me to a direction?

Thx!

6 hours ago, Eli said:

And sold in the 5's?

God, I hope not! I think they wised up and took a "low-ball" (read: realistic) offer, because I got an email notification today saying another offer was made on it. I sent a message several days ago listing its faults, calling them out as not the original owner, and for misrepresenting it in numerous ways, and finished with an offer with the same numbers moved one decimal place over. Said I'd use the difference to restore it properly (plan was to sell it to one of y'all for $1 more, because I'm not a Floyd guy). They promptly revised the listing (without getting much more right than the first draft) and lowered the price. Never heard back, thankfully, because I didn't really want to drop $800 on it. That serial number still looks wrong, even if the thing was poorly refinished.

I hope not also.  I wish there was an easy way to discover what stuff actually sells for on Reverb (or eBay anymore for that matter).

Archived