Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Grand ole Opry Monaco III

Is this the version designed by a committee?

Whomever decided to put three different types of inlays in the fingerboard should be fired.

1 hour ago, VincentYGB said:

Is this the version designed by a committee?

Whomever decided to put three different types of inlays in the fingerboard should be fired.

I do believe he was. At least in a round about way. 😂

Is this the guitar that was at Willcutt's for a while? I almost pulled the trigger on it then. They were definitely asking less, if I remember. It was also in better condition then.

1 hour ago, duncans said:

Why doesn't this have a "USA" after the Hamer logo?

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

No room maybe? It's definitely a USA made model.

Because it looked like cluttered shit with the other headstock decor.

13 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Is this the guitar that was at Willcutt's for a while? I almost pulled the trigger on it then. They were definitely asking less, if I remember. It was also in better condition then.

Willcutt's sold them when they were new. Did they have one recently?

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Yeah, but the one the OP posted is a legit USA model. The imports were large body single cuts with trapeze tailpieces completely unrelated to the Monaco. 

Exactly.   They’re NOTHING alike.

19 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Willcutt's sold them when they were new. Did they have one recently?

I have a photographic memory (unfortunately) so 8 years ago sometimes seems like last year to me, especially during these days.

If I recall it may have been a display model or something similar.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Yeah, but the one the OP posted is a legit USA model. The imports were large body single cuts with trapeze tailpieces completely unrelated to the Monaco. 

Right you are!  Here is a current listing of an import just for fun:

https://reverb.com/item/39528979-hamer-grand-ole-opry-cherry-cherry

quv6ticrj36m5d1bnhky.jpg

26 minutes ago, Eli said:

I bet they'd deal on it, but the fret wear is a bit forbidding to me.

Shouldn't be a deal breaker. Get a fret job on i. MIII's are killer guitars, and aren't falling out of the trees. The price is in reasonable territory for one of those.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, Tortious said:

THAT... would be the one that I lusted over. Dang, was it that long ago?

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Shouldn't be a deal breaker. Get a fret job on i. MIII's are killer guitars, and aren't falling out of the trees. The price is in reasonable territory for one of those.

Probably could get away with a plek.  I've got a regular Monaco with Phat Cats in it, so I'll probably get in trouble for saying it's possibly redundant to have 3 P-90's (ducks head).   Though getting a Nudie suit for it would be an awesome pairing.

5 hours ago, Eli said:

Probably could get away with a plek.  I've got a regular Monaco with Phat Cats in it, so I'll probably get in trouble for saying it's possibly redundant to have 3 P-90's (ducks head).   Though getting a Nudie suit for it would be an awesome pairing.

Monaco III's and Newports with Phat Cats are not very similar guitars at all. Other than that they both have Bigsys. They sound and feel pretty different. The MIII is like a strat on stereoids. Can be rawer and rock pretty hard. But does blues and jazz too. The Newport is more of a twang banger.

If I could keep only one I'd keep the Monaco III. In my book the best single coil model Hamer built. Very unique and cool in every way, and covers a lot of territory. Super useful and sounds great. Looks awesome too.

Archived