Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ever love a band then go, huh?

21 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Clutch is one band I can think of who I really like who also seems to evolve a bit on about a three album cycle and still drop great albums 30 years into their careers (if you like Clutch), but they seem kind of abnormal for that. 

Clutch and The Sheepdogs are about the only two I continue to buy word unheard.  There have been times for each where I was a little slow to warm up to a new release, but always end up spinning them endlessly.

• Like 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it's heresy, but Metallica really disappointed me on And Justice for All.  I thought it was too much "kitchen sink" of riffs and time changes, and it didn't sound good to me.  Some songs were g

Of course, when I quit drinkin' and druggin' I sort of had the same experience with the Grateful Dead.   So, what did the Deadhead say when he ran out of dope? "Hey man, this music really su

I love Uncle Teddy but if there ever was a picture to go with Zappa’s quote about Shut up and play your guitar, it would be the Nuge.  

Posted Images

Quite a few. I remember being very stoked about albums from bands like TNT, Zebra & Metal Church And by the time I got to their next release, I was like- WTF is this?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

Quite a few. I remember being very stoked about albums from bands like TNT, Zebra & Metal Church And by the time I got to their next release, I was like- WTF is this?

There were a fair amount of those in the 80s.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, scottcald said:

There were a fair amount of those in the 80s.  

Yup.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2021 at 10:21 PM, princeofdarkness56 said:

When Lou Reed had Wagner and Hunter he was really rocking. Then I saw Lou right after those two left and he and band just flat out sucked. Worse concert I ever attended. 

I understand bands that have been around a long time wanting to experiment but when I see rock bands putting out a Christmas album, best of Broadway show tunes or gospel classics, I figure they usually have run out of ideas and are just ringing the cash register. 

Was that when Danny Weiss took up guitar duties circa '74?

• Like 1

No not him. It was the 1976 tour. I’m pretty sure the only guitarist was Lou Reed in that one. Possibly a guy named Ross. Either way it was a snooze fest. 

49 minutes ago, benjammin308 said:

Rush.

Sir, that is blasphemy! 

I understand, though.  Group any three consecutive Rush albums together and you have consistency.  Spread out beyond that and the band's music has significantly changed.  By the end they sounded nothing at all like they did when they started 40+ years earlier.  Fortunately, I still liked Rush. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Sir, that is blasphemy! 

I’ll raise the blasphemy level. I lost interest in Rush when John Rutsley left. 🤭 That first Rush album was straight ahead no frills rock.  Then they started talking about Trees in the Forrest and Tom Sawyer and I lost interest. I do recognize the talent, just not my musical style. 

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

🤭 Then they started talking about Trees in the Forrest 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to love Eric Clapton.  Layla was one of the songs that made me want to play guitar in the first place.  In the 1990s, however, he turned into Eric Crap-ton, as far as I am concerned.  I went to see the Cradle Tour in 1994, naively thinking he was going to put all his recent B.S. behind him, and get "Back to the Cradle" of the Bluesbreakers and Cream material which I loved.  What a mistake!  Instead, the concert was actually "From the Cradle," and he ended up doing a bad impression of Robert Johnson style acoustic blues.  I am sorry to say I acted like a baby.  I walked out after about an hour, one of the few concerts that I have ever attended where I didn't make it to the end. 
Pretending is right. 

In sharp contrast, I still love Hendrix.  Jimi's music is timeless.

Who is this person?

ericclap-journeyny.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

I still love Hendrix.  Jimi's music is timeless.

No criticism, just observation:  It's funny how we judge musicians differently based on whether they died young or lived to tell the tale.  All these folks that died young put out a few albums and if we liked them, it cemented some legendary status in our minds because they didn't make more music.  If they live and make music and it doesn't line up with us anymore, we talk about how awful they are now.  Hell, if Hendrix and Rhoads were alive, the might be alternating between doing G3 tours and working with Michael Bolton or Kenny G.  Or, to paraphrase a Letterman bit from the 80s about Lincoln, they may just be desperately clawing at the inside of their coffins.   🤣

• Like 2

I know it's heresy, but Metallica really disappointed me on And Justice for All.  I thought it was too much "kitchen sink" of riffs and time changes, and it didn't sound good to me.  Some songs were good but it was too much of too much.  I know they had a lot of fans scratching their heads with the black album, but I liked that one.  After that, I've never liked anything they did enough to listen to it more than once or twice and not buy.

I'd add Aerosmith to the list.  I loved them all the way through and yes, including, Rock in a Hard Place.  I thought Done With Mirrors was a little weak production-wise, then I actually liked Permanent Vacation although they didn't sound like "my" Aerosmith anymore.  Each album after that they got worse and worse.

• Like 7

Iron Maiden was my favorite band in high school,  thought the first three records were amazing... the

4th record, Piece of Mind, was pretty good... but then I left for college, my tastes changed.   

I'm happy that those guys had a great career and not shocked at all that they are still playing to great

crowds as they definitely have something that connects with people... 

I just don't think I can listen to any more galloping history lessons with three guitars.           

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, DaveL said:

I just don't think I can listen to any more galloping history lessons with three guitars.  

Priceless. I couldn't have written it better myself.

Still, those first albums have aged well to my ears, even though my tastes--like yours--changed a bit once I'd left home for college. 

20 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Priceless. I couldn't have written it better myself.

Still, those first albums have aged well to my ears, even though my tastes--like yours--changed a bit once I'd left home for college. 

I think someone here maybe Ed R?might have come up with “galloping history lesson”  which I sort of stole.  But it really does sum it up nicely lol

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DaveL said:

I think someone here maybe Ed R?might have come up with “galloping history lesson”  which I sort of stole.  But it really does sum it up nicely lol

Certainly sounds like Rechts; it has his wry, intellectual wit.  Given the content of their early anthology, I submit that it might be more accurately described as "galloping history lesson/literary summary".

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 2

Ted. All my buddies were into Nugent. I still love (most of) the first album and a couple things off the 'Double Live Gonzo', but beyond that I can do without. And it was kind of a light switch - one day I just didn't care for it.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

Ted. All my buddies were into Nugent. I still love (most of) the first album and a couple things off the 'Double Live Gonzo', but beyond that I can do without. And it was kind of a light switch - one day I just didn't care for it.

For me, when he started taking over the mic more, that's when he went downhill.  His best songs are where he's nowhere near the mic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

I’ll raise the blasphemy level. I lost interest in Rush when John Rutsley left. 🤭 That first Rush album was straight ahead no frills rock.  Then they started talking about Trees in the Forrest and Tom Sawyer and I lost interest. I do recognize the talent, just not my musical style. 

I like a few Rush songs, totally respect the chops but:

The lyrics! Horribly pretentious and just plain horrible. 

Edited by sonic1974
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, scottcald said:

For me, when he started taking over the mic more, that's when he went downhill.  His best songs are where he's nowhere near the mic. 

I love Uncle Teddy but if there ever was a picture to go with Zappa’s quote about Shut up and play your guitar, it would be the Nuge.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

I was thinking that exact same thing - just play. Leave the rest to someone more qualified.

About Rush: When my wife busts my chops for some of my favorite movies, I reply, 'Maybe you just don't understand them'. Same thing goes here.

• Like 1

I agree with the vast majority of perspectives and observations hereon and it prompts me to proffer the following theory:

Is it inevitable that all bands will diminish in appeal if given significant time in the general public's ear? I mean, can anyone name a band that has actually had a decade (or more) worth of material wherein they evolved for the better? A chart would likely not show a steadily climbing indices of likeability. Bands change. People's taste generally don't.

Two possible exceptions come to my mind- the Beatles and the Who. Their graph, IMHO, would climb steadily from their start though, admittedly, both had slight downward trend of said index towards their respective ends...  and yes, no Entwistle, no Who. Period.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

no Entwistle, no Who. Period.

No Entwistle, no Moon, no Who.

• Like 3