Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Any Steve Earle fans on the board?

Listening to Guitar Town right now, what a record! Awesome stuff, and I really like his lyrics as well. The only other record that I'm familiar with is Copperhead Road - another good one. 

He's got a deep catalogue! I'm gonna start dipping my toes in other albums. 

I've seen him numerous times at First Avenue in Minneapolis.  He never fails to shred the strings right off his mandolin when he plays Copperhead Road.

My favorite albums of his are very psychedelic sounding to my ears, and start with I Feel Alright, and my personal favorite, Transcendental Blues.  I saw him twice in one year when he toured with the Jerusalem album.  The 2nd time I didn't recognize him when he came onstage, he had lost so much weight in 9 months.

I still occasionally like to sing Amerika V. 6.0 (The Best We Can Do).  And The Unrepentant is one of my all-time favorite songs of his.  The album version doesn't do justice to the live version.  That band flat out kicks ass.  The hair on the back of my neck is raised just thinking about it.

I'm a fan.

Edited to add, this version of The Unrepentant is very good, and captures the live guitar tones I remember:

Love Steve Earle!

His tune Galway Girl has been appropriated by the Irish music scene and is a staple, but I love all of his tunes.

He was a surprise guest with one of my favorite bands, Reckless Kelly, sitting in for a few tunes when I saw them last at City Winery here in NY.

My favorite was him opening a Tedeschi Trucks Band show at The Beacon theater; my favorite venue in the world, I saw the Allman Brothers a hundred times in their March runs there over the years. TTB started doing a Halloween residency a few years back, but always without an opener. The one time I saw Steve Earle open he did it SOLO.... A sold out venue looking to hear an 11-piece horn/soul band, and he came out and did a set BY Himself with only a mandolin... and it was AWESOME 👏 

So it looks like we got some fans, cool beans!

I'm checking out El Corazon right now, cool album. Nice guest spot from Emmylou Harris, that's always a bonus. 

Big fan here as well, have been for years.  Seen him a few times, always a good show.  He does tend to get a little long-winded and political from time to time, but I like that about him, as much as others do not.  Regardless, his songwriting is right up there.

He used to do a radio show, don't know if he still does. I always enjoyed that and the songs of his they'd play on trailer trash radio. Some really good deep cuts there!

One of my favorite Steve Earle songs...Lydia is a fantastic songwriter and her band rocks.  Todd May is a badassed guitarist too.

On his youtube channel there is a bunch of videos he did around the time Justin died where he goes over a bunch of his acoustic guitar collection. He spotlights 1-3 guitars an episode and finishes by playing a tune.  Some good stuff in there.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:55 PM, sonic1974 said:

Listening to Guitar Town right now, what a record! Awesome stuff, and I really like his lyrics as well. The only other record that I'm familiar with is Copperhead Road - another good one. 

He's got a deep catalogue! I'm gonna start dipping my toes in other albums. 

Dear sonic, do Steve a favour and give him back his „e“ in the title of this thread.

He deserves it.

• sonic1974 changed the title to Any Steve Earle fans on the board?
1 hour ago, donner said:

Dear sonic, do Steve a favour and give him back his „e“ in the title of this thread.

He deserves it.

Done! Sorry about that, ha. 😅

Great, man!

Longtime fan here. Saw him live some years ago (maybe 20 or so) over here in Germany.

He had a neck like a butcher, a wild beard and an astonishingly powerful voice. And vibe, too.

Have very deep respect for him how he's dealing with the untimely death of his son.

Great man.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 12:27 PM, BruceM said:

I've seen him numerous times at First Avenue in Minneapolis.  He never fails to shred the strings right off his mandolin when he plays Copperhead Road.

My favorite albums of his are very psychedelic sounding to my ears, and start with I Feel Alright, and my personal favorite, Transcendental Blues.  I saw him twice in one year when he toured with the Jerusalem album.  The 2nd time I didn't recognize him when he came onstage, he had lost so much weight in 9 months.

I still occasionally like to sing Amerika V. 6.0 (The Best We Can Do).  And The Unrepentant is one of my all-time favorite songs of his.  The album version doesn't do justice to the live version.  That band flat out kicks ass.  The hair on the back of my neck is raised just thinking about it.

I'm a fan.

Edited to add, this version of The Unrepentant is very good, and captures the live guitar tones I remember:

You were right, Transcendental Blues is a damn fine album! I feel alright is next on the list.  :)

On 3/31/2021 at 1:27 PM, BruceM said:

My favorite albums of his are very psychedelic sounding to my ears, and start with I Feel Alright, and my personal favorite, Transcendental Blues. 

Came here to post this, yep.

Archived