Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Amp Advice

So, the band I'm in is starting to go in a different direction. ZZ Top, Aerosmith, The Cure, Cheap Trick, SRV, etc. My two amps are a 3 Monkeys Sock Monkey (10-12 watts) and a Vintage 47 (Valco style) at 12 watts. I can't keep up with the other guitar player. He plays various Charvels, always distorted and VFL (very freakin' loud).

Suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you can still hear yourself, I’d mic that Monkey into the PA all day long for classic rock tones.

If that option won’t work for whatever reason, you will need a bigger amp....or maybe an ext cab with mega-efficient speakers like Emi Red Fangs. They kill for classic rock.

If you decide to go with a bigger amp, I have a blonde Bassman head at 50 watts that takes pedals great and just ROARS that I may let go...

I suggest either convincing the other guy to notch it down or else, find yourself a 40-60 post-tweed Fender style platform.  Head and cab would give you the most flexibility. A silverface Bassman or Bandmaster might do the trick. 

21 minutes ago, 0054 said:

What is his amp?

Marshall stack. Two of them!! I don't let him bring them for garage rehearsal so he brings a rack unit and either one or two PA type speakers. HMOG!

I found a Peavey USA Bandit 65 in the local pawn shop. Tried it this morning but the speaker was blown, the foot switch needed to be rewired, every pot needed to be cleaned, etc.

14 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

As long as you can still hear yourself, I’d mic that Monkey into the PA all day long for classic rock tones.

If that option won’t work for whatever reason, you will need a bigger amp....or maybe an ext cab with mega-efficient speakers like Emi Red Fangs. They kill for classic rock.

If you decide to go with a bigger amp, I have a blonde Bassman head at 50 watts that takes pedals great and just ROARS that I may let go...

I like this option to mic the Monkey (peter gabriel shock the monkey?). The most cost effective. Since we retired I just don't have the room for another head and cabinet.

16 minutes ago, RobB said:

50w plexi RI. Fender Prosonic. Budda SD45. 2x12 cabinet. 

I feel like a good 50w plexi is the answer to any of life's problems ranging from IRS audits to erectile dysfunction.  Sure, some say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

In all seriousness, vote for old Budda stuff.  I actually went from a Sock Monkey 18/12 to a Budda SD18 II, so I've kinda been in this situation.  The Budda is A LOT louder than the Sock Monkey was. I have no clue as to why, but 18 Bober watts is fucking loud. 

Amps are really versatile too.  Depending on how you work the Master and "Drive" (clean channel gain basically), Channel 1 goes from clean chime to baby plexi.  And if you need to get there at a little lower volume, Channel 2 has plenty of gain on tap.  I'd imagine the SD 30 has more headroom and gets a bit louder and that the SD 45 just sterilizes the audience.  

They also can be had in good shape for well under $1k if you look around. I saw a SD18 combo here locally on CL for $650 just a month ago.

14 minutes ago, rugby1970 said:

I like this option to mic the Monkey (peter gabriel shock the monkey?). The most cost effective. Since we retired I just don't have the room for another head and cabinet.

One other idea to ponder.  In my band, the other guitar player and I have a gentleman's agreement to use comparable firepower in our rigs so as to avoid decibel-raising contests. He leaves his Peavey half stack at home, and I do the same with my Marshall half stack. 50w combos max during practices is our rule. YMMV.

23 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

One other idea to ponder.  In my band, the other guitar player and I have a gentleman's agreement to use comparable firepower in our rigs so as to avoid decibel-raising contests. He leaves his Peavey half stack at home, and I do the same with my Marshall half stack. 50w combos max during practices is our rule. YMMV.

I've already explained to him that when we play out it's only with one head and one stack; we're not doing arena shows.

BTW, he's a real nice guy and a hell of a player.

31 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Pssht... this has nothing to do with MAD and detente.  You just don't want to listen to a Peavey that loud, and you know it. 

7 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Well, hell.  Does anyone? 

I did my time having to listen to a 5150 in the early 00s.  Never again. Maybe the head sounded good, sure have been a lot of great recording of them.  But those 5150 cabs were ass. 

1 hour ago, LucSulla said:

I did my time having to listen to a 5150 in the early 00s.  Never again. Maybe the head sounded good, sure have been a lot of great recording of them.  But those 5150 cabs were ass. 

Ha!   “Ass”....  Is it the cab you hate or the Sheffield’s?  I’ve toyed around of swapping out those speakers in my 5150 cab  

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I feel like a good 50w plexi is the answer to any of life's problems ranging from IRS audits to erectile dysfunction.  Sure, some say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

In all seriousness, vote for old Budda stuff.  I actually went from a Sock Monkey 18/12 to a Budda SD18 II, so I've kinda been in this situation.  The Budda is A LOT louder than the Sock Monkey was. I have no clue as to why, but 18 Bober watts is fucking loud. 

Amps are really versatile too.  Depending on how you work the Master and "Drive" (clean channel gain basically), Channel 1 goes from clean chime to baby plexi.  And if you need to get there at a little lower volume, Channel 2 has plenty of gain on tap.  I'd imagine the SD 30 has more headroom and gets a bit louder and that the SD 45 just sterilizes the audience.  

They also can be had in good shape for well under $1k if you look around. I saw a SD18 combo here locally on CL for $650 just a month ago.

Another vote for the Budda stuff. My SD30 kills. @bubs_42 approved...  😜

So much so, that I’ve seriously considered another Budda head or combo for a stereo setup just because I can...

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Ha!   “Ass”....  Is it the cab you hate or the Sheffield’s?  I’ve toyed around of swapping out those speakers in my 5150 cab  

It was probably just the speakers.  The damn thing was so dark.  I know for 100% certain that 5150s are capable of legendary metal tones, and we had an arsenal of high end mics and pres, so it wasn't that.  I mean, at one point during those sessions, we had something like eight u87s on the drum kit at one time just because we had that many Neumans lying around.  Never could get that cab to sound like anything more than mud though, and we tried everything from 57s to a Sony C-800G. I have recordings somewhere or another of it. 

I would say just get an AC30 and be done with it, but...

If I was in your position and really dug what was going on with the band scenario, I'd probably search out a 3Monkeys Orangutan combo.   Especially if you're currently using a Sock Monkey. These things kick.

So many amps so little time. Try a Carr hammerhead combo. 28 watts hand wired and misunderstood so inexpensive. Much as I hate to say it, Skip the head and cab. Rarer and more expensive.  Very flexible w a reverb pedal in front and not big.  

find a combo. I have seen them from 650-900. Don’t pay more for the combo.  Pretty small and light. 

Archived