Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2 Outstanding MIJ Strats - Greco, Sonix/Momose

I have a real love/hate relationship with strats. I have found it difficult over the years to bond with them. It wasn't until I stumbled upon one with a fat, soft V shaped neck that I started to really love them. That I was able to end up with 3 very similar strats that I love to play is nothing short of miraculous, for me anyway. But, I really want to have just one good 50s style strat, so I'm letting go of 2.

$1,500 - 1980 Greco SE-800 - Here we have a fantastic, vintage 50s style strat from the golden age of MIJ craftsmanship. The body appears to be alder to me, though I'm not 100% sure. The one-piece maple neck is nice and fat with a soft V shape that fits perfectly in my hand.

This is a 40 year old guitar and it has some superficial dings and marks here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for a guitar of its age. But I would still describe it as in very good shape.

The neck and bridge pickups may not be original, they do look a little different than the middle pickup, which is more consistent with other Super Real SEs that I've seen. That being said, I find the tone in all three positions to be clean and clear, as expected for a 50s style strat.

Included is a period correct hard case. I do not know if it is the original case, but it certainly is consistent with other late 70s/early 80s MIJ hardcases I have seen.

More Pics Here - Greco SE-800

spacer.png

$1,300 - Sonix Strat - Sonix is a store brand for the Sonix Music store in Japan. Sonix guitars are built by Deviser to the standards of their high end Momose brand. This Sonix is built to a 50s style strat with some nice features. The body is 1-piece of gorgeous ash and the neck is 1-piece maple. The guitar has a lacquer finish. The neck shape is my absolute favorite feature. It is nice and thick with a soft V carve that just sits perfectly in my hand. The action is low and it plays almost effortlessly.

It is in very good condition with only light playwear. There are a few cosmetic issues (all pictured), a small straight line indentation near the upper bout, 2 finish cracks on both sides of the neck pocket and a small finish chip at the rear strap button.

Includes a vintage Fernandes branded hard case.

More pics here - Sonix Strat

spacer.png

Deviser makes awesome guitars. My Deviser-built Crews SG is fantastic. I'm covered for Strats (oddly enough by a Japanese guitar) but these look sweet!

Obviously I'm biased. But the Sonix is one of the best strats to pass through my hands. It's light, the neck is perfect and plays like a dream. The strat that I'm keeping is a Crews Key to the Rock that feels and plays almost exactly the same. It was a tossup as to which one to keep, ultimately had a very slight preference to the sunburst finish on the Crews.

When I picked up the Sonix, I owned a DeTemple which had been my #1 for awhile, very similar neck. I felt the Sonix checked all of the boxes for me that the DeTemple had. I did like the Sweet Spot PUs in the DT and the body had some very nice figuring. But ultimately, I felt the Sonix was every bit the guitar that the DT was at 1/4 the price. YMMV.

Oh, and the Greco is pretty sweet, too. Just on a differnt level.

Archived