Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What made you pick guitar?

I had been playing saxophone for about 6 years, pretty seriously,  private lessons etc...

I was a teenage snob about guitar. Figured everyone had one.

But then in grade ten, I saw the Tragically Hip for the first time, threw my world around. 

The next weekend, I emptied my bank account from part time job, and bought a black strat copy and a shitty solid state amp.

I was in heaven. 😎😎

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because using a pick sounded better than strumming.  ;) :ph34r:

But seriously, in my youth I was glued to both the radio and TV in the '70's and '80's, absorbing music like a sponge.  I didn't need any better reason than the music I was hearing and seeing at the time.

Rick looked as nerdy as me back then and was having a good time.  I was halfway there (minus the talent etc)

the next biggest influence was a tv show featuring the Black & Blue tour (Sabbath with Dio on the Heaven and Hell tour and Blue Oyster Cult).  Heaven and Hell is still my favorite song, and that album still gets played damn near every week lol.  My first rock record was Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak that my childhood best friend gave me, and also still in heavy rotation.

13 minutes ago, The Shark said:

A broken and dislocated shoulder.  Ended my pitching career in high school.  One of my buddies was already taking lessons and he convinced me to try it.  

Fuck, that sucks! Well, you made the best of it. 

Started out on piano and by age 10 or so I was noodling on my sister's guitar and a baritone uke my folks got for me.  Then... my 12th birthday.  Ed Sullivan.  Beatles.  That started a tectonic shift toward guitar as I realized I was never going to attract the chicks by dragging a piano down the street behind me.

19 minutes ago, stedge said:

Women

A puppy mighta been easier.

Hahahaha, I am on your opinion. The guitar spoke of despair and melancholy.

There are several threads on these boards dedicated to the beauty of the female form. And THAT was what started me down the guita road. Chicks dig guitar players, and this guitar player digs chicks...

4 hours ago, murkat said:

yeah. Me too.

I KNEW there was a reason I liked you, Jay! ;)

On 4/2/2021 at 5:29 PM, HamerDave said:

There are several threads on these boards dedicated to the beauty of the female form. And THAT was what started me down the guita road. Chicks dig guitar players, and this guitar player digs chicks...

Yeah... no.

Not in my experience.

I had maybe one or two situations where I could say my being a guitarist had any influence on a woman's decision to hook up with me. And I'm damn sure it's not because of HOW I played. :P

Archived