Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What made you pick guitar?

On 4/2/2021 at 11:49 AM, Dave Scepter said:

8bntfGC.png

I knew something was "off" about this cover from the one I studied obsessively as a kid (see farther below).   Then there's the Amazon symbol in the lower right corner....

8bntfGC.png

R-4085463-1528959748-2880.jpeg.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The song Shine, from Be Bop Deluxe's album Live! In the air Age is what brought me here. I've spent more than 40 years trying to work up to playing something recognizably the same.   

I've experienced a lot of happy diversions along the way.  

1983, I was an unhappy kid violinist at the time. We didn't have TV, so when my brother and I goofed off from practicing we would listen to top 40 radio. Every Breath You Take had me absolutely mesmerized, and I couldn't get that sound out of my head. (Still can't.) A few years later I would steal minutes at a time with my high school friends' guitars, and in college I finally bought my own, over my parents' objection.

Funny to think of it now, but until I saw pictures of the band in high school I thought the singer was black.

It was around the time of the Bicentenniel that I first "discovered" guitar and developed an affinity for it.   Some of that came from Hee Haw (yes, that's true), but it's Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show that really fueled my curiosity and desire, especially for what I later learned were those pointy Gibson Explorers and Hamer Standards. 

"Epilogue: About a decade ago I met up with the former babysitter, she was still living in San Diego, on the same street no less. She was a confident lesbian with a wife and several adopted kids. We had a lot of laughs and are sill firends on Facebook.  Couldn't help but wonder if my off-key warbling of 3DN's "Joy to the World" ("jEriMiAh wAs A bULLfrOg!") made her consider her options, early on".

But was there a sponge bath for old times sake?

Hee Haw taught me what a guitar was.

Ace Frehley showed me a guitar could be absolutely cool as hell.

Eddie Van Halen made me want one of my own.

15 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Oh yeah!! check my avatar

That gent was born and raised ~10 miles from my office and home base.  Townshend's and Page's primary influence for rendering raucous, loud power chords. 

It was the solo in Billion Dollar Babies. 5th grade. I was taking organ lessons and it just wasn't cutting it for me. So I quit after the 6th grade.

Then it was, "Smoke on the Water," from, "Made in Japan." Oddly enough, I didn't know it was that huge Hammond Organ sound that made that song so great. Everyone thinks it's the guitar. 

I believe I got my first guitar lessons in the 8th grade. 

ETA: The solo

I was raised on The Beatles, Stones, Cream, Eagles and 60s folk from my parents' catalog, but MTV emerged in my childhood, and suddenly popular music was on TV all the time! I listened to everything from Michael Jackson to Huey Lewis to hair metal, but I always went for anything with a great guitar riff, even if the rest of the song was terrible. At 12, I finally did the math and realized that was what I wanted to play. Terrible songs with a great guitar riff! No, wait... I think I did that wrong...

• 2 weeks later...

My Mom.  She bought me a nylon string guitar for Christmas when I was about 13.  It was an obvious preemptive measure to dissuade me from playing the drums before I actually figured out how to obtain a drum set, but it worked.  A few years of lessons at the local music store and I was a "guitar player".

She hoped I'd play like Segovia but I fooled her... bought my first cheap electric after a mere ten months with her preemptive classical.  

On 4/6/2021 at 4:30 PM, Ed Rechts said:

Thank god for Catholic School girls and teenage over-clocked estrogen in general.

God that sounds like a Zappa song.

Archived