Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Q for the fender guys

DaveH

I'm not up to speed on Fender guitars at all, never even owned one. Did they have better ranges of years than others, if you were going to buy a (US) Strat online? I'm looking at a couple in the 2003-2004, and 2014-2016 ranges. Any known issues here, or what should I be looking for?

Not that I know of. They've been pretty consistent since the late 1990s and earlier. I had a 2008 Tele that was really good, which I sold but shouldn't have. I have a 2012 tele that is nice as well.

I think with Fender, it's more about the specs you want. Like neck radius, pickups etc...

Aside from 70s ones being inconsistent,  I haven't heard that certain years are the ones to go for.

(Well, except vintage). 

if I bought another Strat it would be an Eric Johnson Signature. 2k, but it's like a custom shop at half the price. listen to Eric's tones if you haven't yet. forget the shred, listen to his chord work

Thanks guys, this helps. It seems that Steats are a much deeper subject than I was aware. Joe G pm'd me with a LOT of great info too, I'm going to have to get off my ass and do some hunting and handling... Much appreciated!

....and I was going to say Daytona, unless you need the Fender neck radius. A Daytona will get you there with a neck that feels more familiar to a predominantly Gibson-type player.

Echoplexing JGale ... I've worked on a couple of Jim's Pacificas, I have one in my shop right now. Simply phenomenal guitars, period. When you consider the price of admission, I don't think a better value in a bolt-on strat-style exists via Fender or anyone else. Here's one I recently overhauled electronically with some hidden bells and whistles. It has body cuts, a neck contour and B/O joint that feel like they were made for me. I see why Jim is secretly stockpiling these things. 

20210220_124110.jpg

Resized_20210217_151308.jpeg

Fender's Corona, CA and Ensenada, Mexico factories are 175 miles and a 3 hour drive away from each other on Interstate 15 (with POE customs delay). Considering that the MIM and USA models are from the same geographic area, you may decide that it's not worth the $ premium.

image.png

Just seeing that map, makes me think "I wish I was in Tijuana, eating barbecued iguana, I understand just a little, just what does he say!"

Other factors to consider in regard to the Ensenada operation ...

They have implemented more and more guitar manufacturing technology as it has become more affordable. One reason why Ensenada product gets better and better with each passing year.

That factory, a product of NAFTA in the mid 90s, has provided American company-owned and subsequently valuable jobs for nearly 30 years now. Meaning they have a very skilled, very experienced workforce with a lot of long and honed tenures by today's standards. Another reason their product gets better and better.

And ... if you consider California has some of the most stringent environmental laws in the country, I wonder how many of the pieces of the typical "American" guitar may have been snuck over the border for some of the nastier not-eco-friendly work - like shooting nitro bodies when applicable or plating hardware in bulk - and then returned to Corona? 

41 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

And ... if you consider California has some of the most stringent environmental laws in the country, I wonder how many of the pieces of the typical "American" guitar may have been snuck over the border for some of the nastier not-eco-friendly work - like shooting nitro bodies when applicable or plating hardware in bulk - and then returned to Corona? 

Just diabolical.

32 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

In the 90s it was my understanding that the USA factory was limited in how many instruments they could spray with finish each day.  The Mexican factory was able to spray more instruments. 

I believe that's why the Ensenada factory came into being in the first place. If memory serves, didn't Fender introduce a series during that transition, of "Sprayed in Mexico, Made in USA" models?  Called them Highway 1 or something.

Also ... before Ensenada, pre-mid-90s, the "cheap" Fender guitars came from Japan. Can you imagine how much money FMIC has saved just on product transportation costs?  Not to mention, the days of MIJ guitars in general being cheap are LONG gone haha

2 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

I believe that's why the Ensenada factory came into being in the first place. If memory serves, didn't Fender introduce a series during that transition, of "Sprayed in Mexico, Made in USA" models?  Called them Highway 1 or something.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/3258/fender-california-stratocaster/

1 hour ago, Jeff R said:

Not to mention, the days of MIJ guitars in general being cheap are LONG gone haha

That said, the first Japan RIs from the 80s are sure bets. Not inexpensive, but certainly as good or better as any of the USA AVRIs.

Q for the fender guys

Qute!  Perfect title for a Fender discussion.  And as expected with all things Fender, this quickly devolved into Q territory.  I would expect nothing less on a guitar forum, especially with such a storied brand.

Qarry on.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the first guitar I ever purchased, in 1975 or thereabouts, and certainly long before there was such a thing as a Mexican Fender, was a Fender Telecaster. I still own it, although it's on loan to a friend's teenage son.  At least 3 people, myself included, used that Tele as a starter guitar.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:21 AM, 0054 said:

Just seeing that map, makes me think "I wish I was in Tijuana, eating barbecued iguana, I understand just a little, just what does he say!"

I literally just sang the same lyrics reading this thread!!!,

Oh, the original Strat Plus all the way is what you should get:  1987-1998 (not the recent Strat Plus series, that has nothing to do with the original).  Some say that these original Plusses were like Custom Shop instruments before the Custom Shop really took off (in price).

I have three Strat Plusses (two maple and a rosewood fretboard), and an Strat Ultra (ebony board), before these names were reappropriated for more recent, much inferior instruments.  The Lace sensors are noise-free, and super versatile. 

This website has all you need to know, and then some:

http://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html

5 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Oh, the original Strat Plus all the way is what you should get: 

Too late now... I pulled the trigger on a MIM last night. I kept bouncing between a Blackmore and a Jimmie Vaughn, but neither had everything that I think I want in a Strat. Then I ran across a Albert Hammond Jr (WTF is that, anyway?) that had the right combination: 7.25 rosewood board, med jumbo frets, big headstock, Olympia white... Pups will probably get swapped tho. Hope it works out, the price was right I think.

7 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Oh, the original Strat Plus all the way is what you should get:  1987-1998 (not the recent Strat Plus series, that has nothing to do with the original).  Some say that these original Plusses were like Custom Shop instruments before the Custom Shop really took off (in price).

I have three Strat Plusses (two maple and a rosewood fretboard), and an Strat Ultra (ebony board), before these names were reappropriated for more recent, much inferior instruments.  The Lace sensors are noise-free, and super versatile. 

This website has all you need to know, and then some:

http://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

I own 3 -  '90 Fender Strat Plus guitars, and for the money, I think they're an amazing value.

Archived