Hamer Fan Club Message Center

DIY Relic chrome pickup covers

Dave Scepter

Question

14 answers to this question

Hi,  can you verify... is it actually chrome, or is it nickel?       Both can be relic'd although chrome is more

durable so you have to distress it first.          I use ferric chloride  (aka pcb etchant)...    It's kind of nasty to

work with however, if you're careful  (gloves,  good ventillation,  etc)  it can be done safely...     Nickel is easier to

age, and I prefer the way it looks...         I know there are some youtube tutorials on aging covers.   

27 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Hi,  can you verify... is it actually chrome, or is it nickel?  

Ah good call Dave... I just checked and in fact it is nickel... do you use ferric chloride for nickel?

Actually now that I have the pickups in hand, the natural nickel doesn't look as bad as I imagined in my head... I think I'll just use these as is 😂

30 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Ah good call Dave... I just checked and in fact it is nickel... do you use ferric chloride for nickel?

Actually now that I have the pickups in hand, the natural nickel doesn't look as bad as I imagined in my head... I think I'll just use these as is 😂

Yes...   ferric chloride works nice on nickel...   vinegar fumes also works well on nickel  (definitely use gloves and wipe with naptha etc

to avoid fingerprints)   but agree,  if the natural nickel looks good as is, good to avoid that rabbithole...   

Zero ... I don't put it in the solution, I paint the etching solution onto the hardware with a brush, using one ply of facial tissue to hold the liquid against the surfaces we're trying to pit and rust. I learned from a video I watched on YouTube a while ago. There are a lot more from which to pick now, which is good because I can't seem to find the one I used. I remember I painted the stuff on, waited about 10 minutes and lifted the tissue to check. I think I had a bowl of water handy to neutralize things when I was satified with the aging. If you don't, I think it keeps on rusting and corroding.

5 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Because in proper context, it makes complete sense and looks good to boot.

May be an image of guitar

Oh, god. I love that. If it had p90’s it would be perfect....

19 hours ago, Travis said:

Oh, god. I love that. If it had p90’s it would be perfect....

Those WRHs are a very special hand-wound FeCrCo threaded rod magnet recipe. The guitar IS perfect just like it is, I promise.

3 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Those WRHs are a very special hand-wound FeCrCo threaded rod magnet recipe. The guitar IS perfect just like it is, I promise.

I will defer to you, my good man. 

Even better if the neck is FAT... 🤤

Archived