Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2 Craigslist Offerings: Tokai 'Talladega' Clone ($825), Hamer Banner ($25)

Interestingly, there are no Japanese “lawsuit” guitars at all. Not even the ones we commonly refer to as. Only “cease & desist”. 

Looks kinda crappy compared to a Tally or Dolphin though. I’m sure it’s a gem.

Cease and desist.......Cue Brewer & Shipley......"One Tokai Over The Line".

I have one of these models, a GA140F 'Anniversary' (Les Paul controls and with stop tail) and although it is not a Talladega, it is a really good guitar: Japan made, Faber hardware, MKII pickups, one piece body, long tenon neck joint.

It is my 'poor man's Talladega Pro' and a keeper

3.jpg.0e5ba9d343ba4c2f1148f3f52e17e1b3.jpg

For what I read it seems that they only built a dozen or so before being force to desist, IMHO it is well worth that price.

"I have it set up with .12's and action high for slide and sounds killer that way. Very easy to lover the action and put lighter strings on it."

Saying that is always a 'red flag' for me. When they say its setup with high action for slide. I am skeptical that there might be some neck issues as they can't get the action low without buzzing etc. 

So, that Tokai was once owned by me, and it is a very fine guitar. Definitely worth the asking price, IMO. But outside of the body shape, it's nothing like a Huber Dolphin or Talladega. It's a regular Gibson scale and has a flat top. If I were comparing it to a Hamer, tonally, I'd say it's more like a Special FM.

I've never heard the story about these needing to be discontinued due to pressure from a US company. They just weren't very popular. In fact, at the end of the very small run, dealers were practically giving them away.

When I had it, it had 10s on it and the action was fairly low with no buzzing. No neck issues.

You could do a lot worst than this for the price.

I have one of those ... Tokai SC-2 ... Mine is Amber Quilt. Very nice guitar. Light, resonant, nicely finished body and fretwork. Quality hardware and electronics, although I did change out the pups even though the MK2s are nice PAF style offering, I just prefer 498t/490r in this one. If I remember the story correctly Tokai brought this (Original) model to the NAAM show in NYC I believe 2006 and immediately they were harassed by all the big companies claiming the SC-2 was a copy of one of their models. Tokai pretty much said "F" this and packed it up and went home and pretty much gave up on the US market. I lot of Shops in NYC and surrounding areas bought some inventory in high hopes for something that never evolved. I think the retail on mine was $1400. but I was able to pick one up for less than $600. IIRC as they were trying to recoup the misfortune ... Great guitar, I love mine

tokaiSC-2b.jpg

tokaiSC-2c.jpg

tokaiSC-2d.jpg

tokaiSC-2e.jpg

tokaiSC-2f.jpg

Archived