Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anybody like P90s?

On 4/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, burningyen said:

spacer.png

That is such a gorgeous instrument, and none of the flashy maple or anything.  Just elegance.  

I have a 93 Special with P90s I got about 7 years ago.  Never knew I liked P90s until then.  

8 hours ago, burningyen said:

Does Josh do noiseless P-90s? The noiseless part is why I'm specifically looking at the Fantoms.

6 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Yes, and no. There is really only one company I would consider to have created noiseless P90s and other pickups that don't lose something along with the noise

Kinman.

I believe Josh was toying with the idea but in the end came to the same conclusion as @tbonesullivan

48 minutes ago, cynic said:

I believe Josh was toying with the idea but in the end came to the same conclusion as @tbonesullivan

Yeah. Kinman really has gone so far beyond just about everyone else. He's had a whole bunch of different versions, and is always working to improve them. You almost need to be an electrical engineer to just understand his explanations of why and how his pickups work.

I mean, there have been plenty of great noiseless pickup designs, like the Lace Sensors, etc, but no one has really gone after making a "no compromises" version like Kinman.

3 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

I love that gold top. 

It's a great guitar. I'm still on the fence about swapping out the stock hot Seymour Duncan P-90s for something more "vintage", but I love the sound they get with overdrive.

My 1993 "Custom Shop Edition" LP Special was my only electric for almost a decade. Swapped out the stock P100 stacked hbs for a custom set of proper P90s from Lindy Fralin after a year or two (as soon as I could afford them). Not too hot, but still has all the balls. Took an amazing guitar to a whole new level, between the pups and replacing all the stock crap Gibson put in it, including an imported switch, jack, and garbage pots. Still my #1, though it has spent alot of the past two years resting while I got to know my three Hamers, especially the Artist and Superpro. Hollow or semi with P90s is next on my list!

20210413_175429.jpg

Archived