Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WHAT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE GUITAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED....................HAMER OR OTHER?

WELL MINE WAS THE GIBSON L-5S..............AND I OWNED THREE OF THEM 2 78'S AND 1 79...........

............MY LAST ONE WAS THIS ONE BUT THE FIRST ONE I OWNED I PAID THE MOST FOR AS IT WAS BRAND NEW FROM GIBSON. TrPSPUF.jpgV8DQE9D.jpg7P6n4Ft.jpgDktugmX.jpgYqjkIFJ.jpgBAlHME0.jpgwcWyWSC.jpg

• ARM OF HAMER changed the title to WHAT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE GUITAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED....................HAMER OR OTHER?
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1959 Stratocaster.

DSC_1125.jpg

The only "mods" were a replaced pot (I was able to repair the original and replace), the frets were worn, and the finish had been removed.
All that and it was still really expensive, but the seller was Dave's in Lacrosse, WI, so I was confident I was getting what I was buying.

All of the plastic was primo and the pickups were gorgeous.

DSC_1115.jpg

I had the body resprayed (original sunburst was still in the pickup routs) and gave it a proper fret job.

DSC_1772.jpg

After that it was THE Stratocaster that I had always dreamed of owning; it played perfectly, sounded beautiful and was feather light.

DSC_1782.JPG

So of course, I sold it.

image.png

This one. Could not resist getting a Prototype of the Rietbergen. I HAVE had some thoughts about selling, but only out of "guilt" for paying that much. Still, it might well be the "best" guitar I have ever played, so it is still hanging around.......

REITFRONT.JPGREITBACK.JPGREIT 1.JPGREIT 4.JPG

REIT 2.JPG

REIT 3.JPG

REIT 5.JPG

REITBODY.JPG

Sadly, it'd have to be the guitar I use the least- my '12 Gibby CS LP Axcess. 1 of 3 in Fire Tiger finish. An inverse ratio of cost to quality. Said it before and I'll say it again: Most expensive POS I ever bought. I've labored long and spent scads of dough on making this the fire-breathing, rock instrument of destruction that it finally is. All new electronics, hardware and even some aesthetic touches to get this to be worthy of it's place on my rack of Hamers and HELs.

Even the clear coat sucks. Using standard Gibby polish and a soft chamois to keep it shiny has left it less than so.

Ah well. I'll hold on to it until something better comes along to replace it.

axcess.jpg

The grail. Expensive but worth it! One of just a few that I bought new. And the only one of the new guitars that I didn't sold after a short time. 

20200121142518_IMG_5579.JPG

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

1959 Stratocaster.

DSC_1125.jpg

The only "mods" were a replaced pot (I was able to repair the original and replace), the frets were worn, and the finish had been removed.
All that and it was still really expensive, but the seller was Dave's in Lacrosse, WI, so I was confident I was getting what I was buying.

All of the plastic was primo and the pickups were gorgeous.

DSC_1115.jpg

I had the body resprayed (original sunburst was still in the pickup routs) and gave it a proper fret job.

DSC_1772.jpg

After that it was THE Stratocaster that I had always dreamed of owning; it played perfectly, sounded beautiful and was feather light.

DSC_1782.JPG

So of course, I sold it.

image.png

WOW!.........................never owned anything close to a vintage piece like that, beautiful! [So is that Esquire BTW]....................I did own a 58 Fender Strat but the neck and body[Humbucker route in the bridge position that was filled professionally] dates were not from the same year. It had the original finish beat to holy heck. It also had later PUPs and electronics and it was refretted and had later but vintage Fender tuners, and a non OHSC, but it was an original Fender. I actually traded a Gibson ES-330 plus cash to get it. and it was STILL expensive This was waaaaaay back in the day. I got it also from Dave Rogers back when he had that tiny little store in Wisconsin with a handful of his personal guitars plus a few others for sale, even back then he had some amazing guitars, I couldn't even come close to buying an all "straight" example. I owned that guitar for just about 4 years.......it was a good one........................but of course like you I SOLD IT!😩

8 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

WOW!.........................never owned anything close to a vintage piece like that, beautiful! [So is that Esquire BTW]

Yes, that '58 Esquire was the 2nd most expensive guitar I ever bought/owned.

The most I ever paid was $2600 for a 1951 Gibson L-7C more than 25 years ago.  That guitar would go for around $5600 now.  I would love to have it back. 

My 8 string Chaparral bass is the highest priced new instrument I ever bought. 

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Sadly, it'd have to be the guitar I use the least- my '12 Gibby CS LP Axcess. 1 of 3 in Fire Tiger finish. An inverse ratio of cost to quality. Said it before and I'll say it again: Most expensive POS I ever bought. I've labored long and spent scads of dough on making this the fire-breathing, rock instrument of destruction that it finally is. All new electronics, hardware and even some aesthetic touches to get this to be worthy of it's place on my rack of Hamers and HELs.

Even the clear coat sucks. Using standard Gibby polish and a soft chamois to keep it shiny has left it less than so.

Ah well. I'll hold on to it until something better comes along to replace it.

axcess.jpg

A Blade switch in place of that toggle would cure all that ails that one.   😆

The Music Man Stingray RS I picked up this year. Guitar prices are going up up up, and the only way to get one was to go new.  It was 2699 before tax and such.

However I have a MORE expensive one in the works, which will be 2995. A Music Man Axis in Diablo Blue, a special run through DuBaldo Music in CT. I preordered it and put down a deposit to save $500, so once they hit the street they are going to be more.

However these are still all cheaper than my Tuba and my Euphonium. Trombones are thankfully cheap.. or WERE cheap. Everything is going up doe the cost of brass and other things.

DSCN4655.JPG

1960 Gibson ES-330, from the original owner's family. This past week I sold it back to his son, a former classmate.

Most I ever paid would be for one of these two. Either the ‘78 B&C Sunburst 8 0111, or my Talladega. The Sunburst was great, had a woody tone that was killer and was born only a few months before I was. If the neck had been a bit rounder/fuller I’m sure I would still have it  

I believe I paid $100-$200 more for my Talladega, if I remember correctly. It’s the one that Hamer used for their calendar/web promo shots. Still have this one. Ran a custom shop Duncan Brobucker in the bridge for many years before putting the stock bridge pickup back in it last year. The neck carve is in my top 3 favorites ever. 

8D49EC8B-284B-449C-A48F-9E09CF2173EE.jpeg

6761B01C-81C3-4CE4-BE95-EED316DDE269.jpeg

394AE37E-482B-46EF-9594-B1B3C9FE45E7.jpeg

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

A Blade switch in place of that toggle would cure all that ails that one.   😆

It would have cured it, indeed- I'd have never bought the f'kin' thing if it had a blade switch. :P

I am one cheap son of a nice mom.

$650 for my 84 prototype II in 2010.  In 1984 dollars maybe the 400 for my 83 Cruise Bass.

Most expensive I've purchased, and own, was my custom order bound korina Special w/ebony FB. Sadly, not even my favorite Hamer, but it has a simple elegance wen you play it.

HB_Special1.jpg

HB_Special2.jpg

This one, most likely, the Aircraft Carrier.  Sold, of course.

A close second, adjusted for inflation, would be my Taylor 710 CE, bought sometime in the 1990's.  Other than a 65 SG Junior, the Taylor is probably the only guitar that ultimately paid for itself.

BlueStandardTomBody.jpg

2 hours ago, topekatj said:

Dang, that looks a lot like my Martin — even the top! Is it an OM or 00 size? If it’s an OM, is it a Juber? Nice koa! Fossil ivory bridge pins?

Mine’s IRW B&S, a custom long scale 00 with cutaway spec’d by Eric Schoenberg. https://www.om28.com/

Similar indeed.  This is a custom shop 00c Grade 8 Adi/Koa, adi braced, all hide glue construction, long scale as well. 

Archived