Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WHAT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE GUITAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED....................HAMER OR OTHER?

3 hours ago, Travis said:

The neck carve is in my top 3 favorites ever.

I still hate myself for selling mine, which I sold to justify keeping some other guitars I had at the time. I was rolling through so much gear that year that I just got out of hand in selling stuff off to get more stuff.  I believe I may have sold that in an effort to justify a GJ2, a Jackson RR5, and a couple of Ibanez seven strings because I was in a garsh darned metal band and needed some garsh darned metal guitars. Not a damn one of those guitars stayed in my posession for more than three months. 

I've sold some other guitars that I should have kept, but they were at least sold in an effort to maintain some sort of fiscal responsibility.   That one - I sold it out of pure fucking stupidity. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santa Cruz PWD, Brazilian, I just couldn't get used to the soft V neck. So it left and the Adamas came out of the closet! 

Screenshot_20210409-182037_DuckDuckGo.jpg

for me it was a Hamer by a slim margin.  one of the greenies ..  a special standard.  custom order that I  acquired off the HFC..  one of the last (to my knowledge) off of the floor before they closed the doors, complete with an old school spec (e.g. 4D spec headstock), and later equipped with Shlabotniks.   

IMG_5477 (4).JPG

I purchased a new Hamer USA Rick Nielsen 'Signature' Standard Custom in 1998 from Music Land KEY in Shibuya (Tokyo), back when I was stationed in Japan with the U.S. Navy.  This guitar was a 'for Japan only' model, I think it was a '96, it had a facsimile of his signature on the headstock, and the Hamer logo was on the end of the headstock 'old style' to make room for it.  A photo of it is in the 'back pages' of the HFC somewhere, unfortunately I no longer have this guitar.  IIRC, the price was somewhere around Y185,000...and it was on sale half price, so the original list price was around Y350,000 or so.  Thankfully, the US$ to Yen currency rate at the time was pretty good, like about Y140 = US$1.  Good times!  B)

BTW, I've rarely purchased any guitar 'as new', and I haven't done so for many years.  Plus, other than this guitar, I don't think I've ever bought a guitar for anything remotely approaching collectibility status.  I buy to play, and I buy used as a rule because it's cheaper that way!

2 hours ago, foodermon said:

for me it was a Hamer by a slim margin.  one of the greenies ..  a special standard.  custom order that I  acquired off the HFC..  one of the last (to my knowledge) off of the floor before they closed the doors, complete with an old school spec (e.g. 4D spec headstock), and later equipped with Shlabotniks.   

IMG_5477 (4).JPG

Pretty sure this is the standard I based my Shishkov's color on.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_245.jpg

4 hours ago, foodermon said:

IMG_5477 (4).JPG

Nice! Looks like Metal knobs, were they stock?

I paid $500 for my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58RI "Prototype" LP Standard back in '84.

It's probably worth $12k-$15K ? today.

This is one I'll NEVER EVER sell as long as I'm alive.

50017221813_c1e02223ba_b.jpg

13 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Santa Cruz PWD, Brazilian, I just couldn't get used to the soft V neck. So it left and the Adamas came out of the closet! 

Screenshot_20210409-182037_DuckDuckGo.jpg

My neighbor used to be a builder for Santa Cruz.  Every one that I have played has been a joy.

2 hours ago, Texsunburst59 said:

I paid $500 for my '80 Gibson "Jimmy Wallace" '58RI "Prototype" LP Standard back in '84.

It's probably worth $12k-$15K ? today.

This is one I'll NEVER EVER sell as long as I'm alive.

50017221813_c1e02223ba_b.jpg I just knew your contribution to this post was going to be that one! Beautiful! 

The one I don't even own yet!

Next Shishkov will be the most expensive guitar purchase ever for me, second was my first Shishkov. Albeit, I am thinking the new one will be very high  value like the jr, so even though it will be 2x+ of my previous Non Shishkov purchases , it will exceed the other guitars by at least 2.8x+ :)

It is amazing that if you are able to see through the marketing hype (A Gibson, A Fender, etc) you can get some amazing guitars that punch way out of their price range, that is exactly what I have always looked for in guitars.

No contest, the all original '64 Strat I picked up 2 years ago at Austin Vintage Guitars when my wife took me there for my birthday.  I was born in '65 and asked if they had any '65s in stock, and they brought me an Olympic White '65 and this '64, which was an easy winner.  Easily one of the best playing/sounding Strats I've ever heard.  Neck is dated April '64 and all 3 pickups dated 6/2/64.  Has the case-candy too...  A pre-CBS Fender was always on my "bucket list" so I was glad I finally could fulfill that mission!

1964 Fender Strat Full Shot.jpg

1964 Fender Strat Neck Date.jpg

1964 Fender Strat Pickup Dates 3.jpg

1964 Fender Strat Front Body 2.jpg

10 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Pretty sure this is the standard I based my Shishkov's color on.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_245.jpg

and..  IIRC..   that standard's color is based on / inspired by the @cmatthes dark greenburst custom standard from some years before.  

Naturally that is one of my all time favorite Shishkov's !

7 hours ago, topekatj said:

Nice! Looks like Metal knobs, were they stock?

Metal dome knobs w green MOPish tops...  not stock.     Stock knobs were amber tophats.

A 59 Les Paul Junior which I got dirt cheap in the early 80s as a trade for a Tokai Flying V which cost me about 600 Marks back then (about threefiddy in EUR...😁).

Upon closer inspection I discovered an old pickup route for a neck pup. I made a pickguard, installed a S.D. P-90 in the neck position, added a toggle switch to the new pickguard - and eventually sold the guitar to the Nena ("99 red ballons") guitarrist for 2.500 Marks. Should've kept it - idiot...😬

15 minutes ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

No contest, the all original '64 Strat I picked up 2 years ago at Austin Vintage Guitars when my wife took me there for my birthday.  I was born in '65 and asked if they had any '65s in stock, and they brought me an Olympic White '65 and this '64, which was an easy winner.  Easily one of the best playing/sounding Strats I've ever heard.  Neck is dated April '64 and all 3 pickups dated 6/2/64.  Has the case-candy too...  A pre-CBS Fender was always on my "bucket list" so I was glad I finally could fulfill that mission!

1964 Fender Strat Full Shot.jpg

1964 Fender Strat Neck Date.jpg

1964 Fender Strat Pickup Dates 3.jpg

1964 Fender Strat Front Body 2.jpg

33 minutes ago, specialk said:

#10. Thankfully it's still in the "family":

IMG_0269.JPG

LOVE those Special K’s and Ecstasy guitars. Hardly ever see them around. Of course, since they only made 10 of each I’m sure that contributes to how often I see them...

I paid a fair price for the tele style, far less than many on this thread, and Gwen (I posted about in another thread) was a Craigslist find.  Not inexpensive, but nothing like a vintage Fender or Gibson, less than Custom shop, etc for each.

Both are the real deal, Van Nuys Schecters ie S serial Dream Machines.  Not parts guitars, but built there in the original Schecter shop.  Gwen has been around the block with some famous players. 😉

Gold DM.jpg

Gwen.jpg

I've always bought used guitars for years with the exception of my first electric, an '89 MIJ 62RI strat that I bought off the wall in 1990 at ProSound Music in Denver, CO.  I think it was $600 and may still be the least I've paid for an electric guitar.  The only other two guitars I've bought new were my Shishkovs, and as reasonable as Mike's guitars are, the most recent is as much as I've paid.  I'm still really grateful to Mike for making both of mine happen for me.  

5xbep9T.jpg

So far, it's the Hamer Triple Threat and and an early model Huber Dolphin, both around the same price and purchased here on the HFC (thanks guys). But now, debating between a Talladega Pro or a McInturff Carolina Custom. 

Archived