Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WHAT IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE GUITAR YOU HAVE EVER OWNED....................HAMER OR OTHER?

3 hours ago, soli'd said:

I've always bought used guitars for years with the exception of my first electric, an '89 MIJ 62RI strat that I bought off the wall in 1990 at ProSound Music in Denver, CO.  I think it was $600 and may still be the least I've paid for an electric guitar.  The only other two guitars I've bought new were my Shishkovs, and as reasonable as Mike's guitars are, the most recent is as much as I've paid.  I'm still really grateful to Mike for making both of mine happen for me.  

5xbep9T.jpg

You have read my MIND with that Shishkov. Dang. Love it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, that is one hell of a guitar.  And P90s w wrap to boot.  That is what I was thinking if I ever ordered a Shiskov.  Lake Placid Blue, wrap or sustain block similar, p90s.  Maybe one p90.  Simple and pure.

2006(?) Dean Water V. Got it from a jagoff dealer in Vegas that Mobster hooked me up with.  MFer kept the print of the, “Feel the Difference”, bikini ad...couldn’t get Dean to back me up and send me one, either. You’d think for $3.2k theyd send me a gawdamned poster, right?

It wasn’t expensive then but would be now if I kept it. About a 1964 SG with Maestro Vibrola and humbuckers. Bought at a flea market from a seminary student, $185.  I’d guess it would be worth $8k up today. The photo is not mine but that’s what it looked like.7E162513-1633-41AE-9879-1B9A70E18185.jpeg

The most I paid for a guitar was $1500 for a Taylor GS Custom 12 string. Built to the owner’s spec, mahogany sides and back, sunburst Sitka top, ebony board and head plate, super case. Probably cost $3K new.

15E87607-0DE5-47F6-BA9B-7EE8E955BFE6.jpeg

'63 Fender Esquire.

Original Case

Clay dot markers

Ashtray

Half of the original hangtag

Had to have it when I spotted the cigarette burn on the headstock.

A definitive personal example of "If I'd been able to hang on to this one..."

esquire.jpg

2 hours ago, RobB said:

2006(?) Dean Water V. Got it from a jagoff dealer in Vegas that Mobster hooked me up with.  MFer kept the print of the, Feel the Difference”, bikini ad...couldn’t get Dean to back me up and send me one, either. You’d think for $3.2k theyd send me a gawdamned poster, right?

Wow, Mobster. That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. He had a killer Watson I lusted after on many a lonely night...

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Wow, Mobster. That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. He had a killer Watson I lusted after on many a lonely night...

I bought a really great guitar from him a few years ago. He has promised (threatened?) this past year to make me an offer to buy it back. But it has not happened yet.....It is the archtop on the left......These snapshots do neither guitar justice.  FWIW, the stylized "f holes" were apparently designed to be a shark's fin, an ocean wave....Or something. As best I can tell, it was a total one off from Germany.....Nice to have friends that will build you something special!

IMG_2001.JPGIMG_2002.JPG

My classical (Kenny Hill Signature) is far and away the most expensive guitar I've ever owned.  But, I justify guitars by how much per day I'd have to spend.  I play it all the time, and perform with it (well, used to, now just make ensemble videos), so the cost/day is not that high - and getting lower every day.

4 hours ago, django49 said:

I bought a really great guitar from him a few years ago. He has promised (threatened?) this past year to make me an offer to buy it back. But it has not happened yet.....It is the archtop on the left......These snapshots do neither guitar justice.  FWIW, the stylized "f holes" were apparently designed to be a shark's fin, an ocean wave....Or something. As best I can tell, it was a total one off from Germany.....Nice to have friends that will build you something special!

IMG_2001.JPGIMG_2002.JPG

Aaaaaannnddddd...  I’m going to bed with a bottle of Jergens tonight. Thank you very much....

16 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

It wasn’t expensive then but would be now if I kept it....

In that scenario, mine would have been a '63 Fender Jazzmaster I had in 6th grade, prolly $6k+ today. Back then it was just a goofy looking used guitar.

My biggest shell-out was just a few years ago, $1930 for my Kiesel HH2 order. Guess what? SOLD IT, hahaa. Loved it until I got my Strandberg, which was slightly lighter/better playing/better sounding (which I didn't think was even possible). Couldn't fathom keeping 2 weird looking ultra lightweight shreddy headless guitars.

2nd most expensive was a Jackson PC-1 for $1400 used (sadly it was a dog, never liked the feel or tone of it).

GTRS 2020.jpg

PC-1.jpg

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

And that is different from every other night how?

Cuz the wife is out of town and I don’t have to put up with weird looks when I bust out the pole grease while checking out this thread...

On 4/10/2021 at 6:28 PM, polara said:

You have read my MIND with that Shishkov. Dang. Love it.

It's right down the road, let's get it in your hands. I'm sure you've got something new I want to play. 🤘

still got that Vigier?

On 4/10/2021 at 4:15 PM, Gino said:

A 59 Les Paul Junior which I got dirt cheap in the early 80s as a trade for a Tokai Flying V which cost me about 600 Marks back then (about threefiddy in EUR...😁).

Upon closer inspection I discovered an old pickup route for a neck pup. I made a pickguard, installed a S.D. P-90 in the neck position, added a toggle switch to the new pickguard - and eventually sold the guitar to the Nena ("99 red ballons") guitarrist for 2.500 Marks. Should've kept it - idiot...😬

Das ist ja mal eine interessante Story!

13 hours ago, The Shark said:

This was the first guitar I payed more than 5K for.  

WGhZbXH.jpg

I was preparing to post an exceptional PRS Santana for sale, but it looks like I already have a hold on it. I may proceed if that falls through.....They are great guitars.

4 hours ago, django49 said:

I was preparing to post an exceptional PRS Santana for sale, but it looks like I already have a hold on it. I may proceed if that falls through.....They are great guitars.

I play it so infrequently that I forget how the switches work!!!

spacer.png

Probably this 1980-ish Dean V.  I think it was about $750 new.

#2 was the Schecter PT I bought new in 1984.  $650 seemed like a lot.  They cost twice that now, which is why I built a parts caster when I wanted to replace it.

spacer.png

On 4/10/2021 at 8:49 AM, tomteriffic said:

My neighbor used to be a builder for Santa Cruz.  Every one that I have played has been a joy.

I know of whom you speak.  Great guy!  My former coworker at the former music emporium downtown.  Please tell him hello for me.

Archived