Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sustainblock parts

VECTOR

You see my friends beautiful Sunburst with a massive issue - wrong parts on the sustainblock bridge. To set the intonation is impossible.  Where can he get the matching parts for its bridge? Thanks for your help/ advice!

20210409_215435.jpg

5 hours ago, cynic said:

What year is the Sunburst?  If it's '81 or later it may have the narrow string spacing and the Mann saddles won't fit.

**edited to add: Neither will the earlier Hamer saddles, for that matter.

Its a '79 or '80

8 hours ago, VECTOR said:

Its a '79 or '80

I would definitely measure with a calliper or reach out to Mann on proper fitment...

MannMade USA Hamer Saddles - Black Nickel https://reverb.com/item/32848375-mannmade-usa-hamer-saddles-black-nickel?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=32848375

• 9 months later...

I've been searching for such a long time.
Do the saddles fits to a 1979 Hamer Sunburst?
They look like the originals, but is the dimension right?
Mann's Saddle width is 412" (10.4mm). I’am not sure but my saddles seems to be 10mm.

Thanks a lot for your help.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.com/shop/Parts/Guitar-Parts/Guitar-Bridge-Parts/p/MannMade-USA-Hamer-Saddles---Nickel-x47787123.htm

The originals are typically 3/8" wide (.375 ± .010). But there was a bit of leeway among several different versions.

I'm a little surprised John's are .412. I think (it's been a long time) the string-thru holes are spaced at .425, so they should work just fine.

Hmm.  I recently got an old used sustainblock bridge.  I was told it came off an 82 so I assumed narrow.  The string spacing is 2.00 inches but the saddles Are wide.   They measure out at .410 and won’t center over the holes.  Is this normal or did somebody mix and match and some point?

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Ua D said:

Hmm.  I recently got an old used sustainblock bridge.  I was told it came off an 82 so I assumed narrow.  The string spacing is 2.00 inches but the saddles Are wide.   They measure out at .410 and won’t center over the holes.  Is this normal or did somebody mix and match and some point?

image.jpg

My '81 Special (w/it's original Sustain Block) has the spacing for the string-thru holes at .400 (thanks, Steve!) and the intonation screw holes at .375, making the string-thru holes progressively nearer the outside of the saddle thru holes. It's not much but it is odd to see it done like that.

Hamer used at least 3 different saddle types and probably as many Sustain Block varieties (I don't think they believed in tolerances back then, from what I've seen :lol: ), but I can't imagine what you have there was born that way. That looks AFU even by early Hamer standards!

42 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

It's not much but it is odd to see it done like that.

I assumed they kept the through-hole spacing at 0.400 to allow room for the ferrules on the back (they can be pretty tight at 0.400) but reduced the measurement between the intonation holes to achieve a desired saddle spacing.

Archived