Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My Hamer Cali fiasco and Paypal??

So..Most of you know that I'm going through a paypal resolution thing on the Cali I just bought.

Last week I was contacted by paypal and they told me to send the guitar back for a full refund. I did as they told me and sent the guitar back (Which was attempted to be delivered today to no avail?) Today I look at my my claim status and it say's Paypal is reviewing "Additional Information provided by the seller" I don't get it?  I thought it was over other than paypal sending my money back?.  Has anybody here ever experienced anything like this?? This is truly a WTF moment! 

17 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Fortunately, I haven't had to do this.  I imagine either they're getting both sides or the seller is trying to act like you're trying to pull something and woe are they.  

I thought the decision was already made when they instructed me to send the guitar back?? Are they really gonna "Oh wait a minute..our bad" or something?? 😕

7 hours ago, kurtsstuff said:

I thought the decision was already made when they instructed me to send the guitar back?? Are they really gonna "Oh wait a minute..our bad" or something?? 😕

A lot of my colleagues are complaining about PayPal as sellers. One guy I talked to said he sold a custom enclosure to a customer. The customer notified PayPal that the item wasn't as advertised. PP instructed the customer to send the product back. Upon inspection of the return it was clear the customer intentionally nearly destroyed the product. My friend notified PP that the product wasn't returned in the same condition and there was no way he could resell it. PP took the money out of his account and refunded the customer anyway. 

Another friend of mine sold an animal to someone and agreed they could pick it up at an upcoming show to avoid the $75 shipping. The customer picked up the animal as agreed then called PP and claimed the animal was never shipped. PP refunded the money to the customer even though my friend told PP they picked up the animal at a show.

Many of my colleagues are going to other payment sources and are scrapping PP due to their siding unfairly with the buyers. 

So, from my experience talking with many people, PP will side with you. I personally haven't had an issue with PP or any of my customers but then again, I don't sell hundreds of items in a week. I haven't read your story about the Cali and I'm sorry you had an issue with your deal. But, since you did as PP asked I would imagine the guy is just trying to hang on to the money but will most likely lose his case. Good luck.

It's a crap shoot with PayPal/Ebay/Reverb, etc. There are sellers out there that are "pros" at scamming the system, I've seen so many people get ripped off via these services over the years it's not even funny. I got dinged by PayPal 15+ years ago and swore I'd never use them for a serious purchase again (bought a neck that turned out to be cracked and they sided with the seller and lost $240). But I gave in and used PP again a few years later and bought a very expensive guitar and it was a scam, but PayPal was aware of this scammer/seller and had held the funds and I was able to get refunded. That was the last time I did that, it was a close one and I got a service agent in a good mood that day (to PP's credit!). I almost lost a $hitton of money and that scared me straight.

Was your purchase funded through your Credit Card or your Bank to PayPal? That's another option should there be more trouble and why a lot of people use a CC to purchase.

Hard to say what will go down here, the seller is probably claiming they didn't get the guitar back or that your claims are BS and they're arguing with PayPal. Your best bet is to get on the phone, suffer the hold times and keep on them as to what's up.

More than likely you'll get your money back, but you get to experience "PayPal Anxiety Syndrome" which makes you break out in sweats, scream and yell uncontrollably, not sleep, listen to Britney Spears (I know, like what?!), and seriously makes you think MANY times over whether you ever want to pull the trigger on something like this again.

I haven't bought anything with PayPal worth $100 in a decade or more; money I can afford to loose if push comes to shove. And Reverb has headed right done this road as well with endless horror stories there too.

Sorry for your troubles, hang in there!

7 hours ago, VECTOR said:

I always try to use Paypal, it's the safest way. No issues. I'm sure you will get your money back.

Me Too,  But it really is a crapshoot… I remember once I bought a steel mountain bike frame on Ebay and upon arrival noticed a substantial size dent that was NOT included in the description nor pictures and I thought for sure I was going to win but those c#%k suckers at PayPal sided with the seller...  but on the flip side, a sold a bunch of jbl 077-075 tweeters on eBay that the buyer opened up, swapped the internals then tried to return them...  Good thing I had photos of the "sealed" Tweeters before sending/posting...  I could have lost a small fortune on that deal 

Yeah, the only deals I've done over the last few years have been via forums. I got one good deal out of Reverb before it all started to go sideways, now it's just a place to browse as far as I'm concerned. Still, the occasional good deal does show up there which tells you the seller hasn't used Reverb much.  😉

37 minutes ago, kizanski said:

I've pretty much resigned myself to that as well.

Still use Reverb once in a while despite being burned once... and I have and will continue to sell/buy locally on FB Marketplace. No issues there other than maybe driving 30- 35 minutes to have a buyer/seller back out. Knock on wood, that hasn't happened yet but I could it see it happening easily enough.

1 hour ago, mudshark said:

The HFC is the only place I'll sell on the Internet. 

THIS. ^^^

I’ve bought a couple of things off of reverb. A pedal at most. But that’s only when no one on here has what I want...

I pretty much stopped using PP and will more than likely close my business account with them. I officially closed my Reverb account a couple of weeks ago after being turned off by the declining standards since Etsy bought them. When I asked them politely to close my account and why, I received a notification from them that my account "...is being closed due to suspicious and possible illicit activity." Fuck those cocksucking pieces of shit. 

5 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

"...is being closed due to suspicious and possible illicit activity.”

But, did they say on whose part it was...?

I also had problems with P Pal. about 15 years ago they let me get screwed even though I had evidence. I added my credit card to my PP account and pay all PP actions through the card. twice they would have let me get screwed again but the card came to the rescue

On 4/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, gtrdaddy said:

I pretty much stopped using PP and will more than likely close my business account with them. I officially closed my Reverb account a couple of weeks ago after being turned off by the declining standards since Etsy bought them. When I asked them politely to close my account and why, I received a notification from them that my account "...is being closed due to suspicious and possible illicit activity." Fuck those cocksucking pieces of shit. 

Just to be clear here since your language is a bit ambiguous, you do not like Reverb?  😉

Yeah, lots of this going around. Reverb has become the latest dump and their rules and management they've imposed will eventually turn everyone off but bigger businesses that are willing to charge more and absorb the oversight/costs/management. Next Gen G-Base really. The scammers showing up is one thing, but once Etsy bought it and changed the fee structures and management approach, crunch! Fees on top of fees on top of fees and then taxes too! See ya!

PayPal I haven't spent more than $25 using PP in several years. It's always smaller little widgets/gadgets/wiring/batteries or the like that you can't find on Amazon, or IRs for my Helix.  

Sad thing is...I would have liked to keep the guitar but...Not at the price I paid for a supposedly "like new" guitar..I'm still waiting to hear the outcome and I'm sure they'll claim the guitar isn't in the same condition or some bullshit like that. I've made them an offer when this whole thing started but..The profit they must have made off of me is too hard to give up I guess? Anyways...Thanks for all the support guys!! :)

5 minutes ago, kurtsstuff said:

Sad thing is...I would have liked to keep the guitar but...Not at the price I paid for a supposedly "like new" guitar..I'm still waiting to hear the outcome and I'm sure they'll claim the guitar isn't in the same condition or some bullshit like that. I've made them an offer when this whole thing started but..The profit they must have made off of me is too hard to give up I guess? Anyways...Thanks for all the support guys!! :)

Hey did you happen to use a credit card to fund the PP payment? If you did, go to your card company and tell them what happened. Using your credit card is an extra layer of protection. They should certainly protect you no matter what the PP nazi fucks do. If they side with you on it (and I'm sure they will) they'll reverse the payment for you and PP will be stuck without a dime and the guitar WILL go back.

So..I contact the seller to let her know I'd still buy the guitar and she contacted be back with this

"You took a floating bridge guitar, lowered it two levels and didn’t tighten the screws so it sounds terrible. Happy thrashing. PayPal refunded you. Do not contact me again or it will be considered harassment."

Umm..yeah...it's gonna sound terrible until you tune the damn thing up!! I of course slackened the strings a bit for shipping and well..this is what I was dealing with..uggh!!

Archived