Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Seymour Duncan pots /Pure tone output Jack

26 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It either makes the connection or it doesn't, right?  

I guess that was my question as well, but I am also wondering If more contact area actually makes a difference or is the design more for reliability... or both?.. gimmick?

1 minute ago, Dave Scepter said:

I guess that was my question as well, but I am also wondering If more contact area actually makes a difference or is the design more for reliability... or both?.. gimmick?

I can see the value in "reliability," for sure.  There is a point of diminishing returns, though.

6 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Phuk it... Hold my beer, I'm going in!.. it's only $6...  I'll just skip Starbucks today 🤣

Oh, I was thinking the output jack would be $24.99 or something.

Plating can be better on some jacks.  Since the electrons flow on the surface that could have an effect. 

How well the jack grips the plug is another design consideration. 

However...  most of those classic recordings with the perfect guitar tones were made using whatever came from the guitar factories with cables that were just regular guitar cables made long before they became boutique items.  Does anyone "upgrade" their 1963 Stratocaster with all original parts?  Do they brag about the sound of it?  Is your 1968 ES-335 the greatest guitar ever made except for that crappy tone-sucking jack

I'm in the more and tighter contact is better! When you poke your willy in do you want a loose barely touching connection or one with a firm grip on things??

4 minutes ago, JGale said:

Nice jacks. I have a couple in my speaker cabs, cuz the cable is heavy and these hold it tight, no sag at the join.

Perfect!.. now how about those pots?.. any  1st hand experience?

Interestingly, I've noticed lately that the input jack on my Centaura is a bit wonky.  As in, it cuts in and out, making a hell of racket.  It might simply need a good cleaning and perhaps, a reflow of the solder joints. Still, it's ironic that the pots have held up to 31 years of abuse while the jack appears to be failing. 

Those replacement parts like pots and jacks may have been primarily intended for people looking to upgrade import guitars.  When Seymour Duncan did guitar clinics to show what a difference changing pickups could make he would do a before and after demonstration of a mid priced guitar.  

More than once it has been suggested that changing the pots in a Chinese guitar will make a difference.  It should be expected that American made guitars do not need such an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

However...  most of those classic recordings with the perfect guitar tones were made using whatever came from the guitar factories with cables that were just regular guitar cables made long before they became boutique items.  Does anyone "upgrade" their 1963 Stratocaster with all original parts?  Do they brag about the sound of it?  Is your 1968 ES-335 the greatest guitar ever made except for that crappy tone-sucking jack

Absolutely.  I often wonder how Jimi, Clapton, West, etc., were able to record anything worth a damn without today's technology.
No Plek, no Sperzel tuning machines, no silly stupid Buzz Feiton snake oil.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

Absolutely.  I often wonder how Jimi, Clapton, West, etc., were able to record anything worth a damn without today's technology.
No Plek, no Sperzel tuning machines, no silly stupid Buzz Feiton snake oil.

It was all "True Bypass"...

Bypass all the hype and bullshit and just play the damned things.

I like the design. Just ordered a couple of the jacks for a tad over $8 total--one for the aforementioned Centaura and another for a Tele build.

9 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

I like the design. Just ordered a couple of the jacks for a tad over $8 total--one for the aforementioned Centaura and another for a Tele build.

$6.57 shipped @ Amazon 

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Plating can be better on some jacks.  Since the electrons flow on the surface that could have an effect. 

Exactly true. The quality of the nickel plating can have a distinct effect.

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Those replacement parts like pots and jacks may have been primarily intended for people looking to upgrade import guitars.  When Seymour Duncan did guitar clinics to show what a difference changing pickups could make he would do a before and after demonstration of a mid priced guitar.  

More than once it has been suggested that changing the pots in a Chinese guitar will make a difference.  It should be expected that American made guitars do not need such an upgrade. 

The main reason this holds true is also the reason so many Chinese pickups sound like crap. It is because of the quality of the wiring used in both pickups and potentiometers. Quality made pots and pickups will use copper wire; the Chinese mostly use a cheap copper alloy wire in both pots and pickups that is very apparent when you look at it. The copper alloy will have a pinkish hue to it. Copper alloy wiring has a terrible effect on audio quality.

2 hours ago, JGale said:

Not plural.

Was yours grown in soil from Maui, planted and harvested in sync with phases of the moon, and tended to by a 75 year old hippie who has lovingly manicured one at a time in the same planter since 1964? I need to give it the... uh... ear test! Ya know: when you sit down in the bean bag, turn on the lava lamp and crank up your favorite vinyl in the basement...

14 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

Was yours grown in soil from Maui, planted and harvested in sync with phases of the moon, and tended to by a 75 year old hippie who has lovingly manicured one at a time in the same planter since 1964? I need to give it the... uh... ear test! Ya know: when you sit down in the bean bag, turn on the lava lamp and crank up your favorite vinyl in the basement...

Get them now at artisanjack.com!

Archived