Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NVESPD

Jeff R

Okay not new, but the rebirth is, I finished it (for now) yesterday. One of my best friends found this pile of molestation on FB Marketplace in San Antonio for about 1/5th the HFC historically approved price last year. I got to bring it back to life AND do my first Jescar 58118 stainless steel refret (came out great) AND have my third personal three-digit vintage ESP ... that doubles as a shop tax write-off as a shop demo for SS frets and other stuff I can do.

The least obvious travesty corrected was an unfretted, barely slotted and poorly leveled and even poorerly radiused replacement maple fingerboard upon arrival. It originally had a rosewood board (no skunk) and why someone replaced it, I have no clue. Rather that remove and start over, I doctored what was there and it came out quite nicely. New radius is 10.

Before (arrival):

400arrival (4).jpg

400arrival (1).jpg

400arrival (6).jpg

400arrival (2).jpg

400arrival (5).jpg

400arrival (3).jpg

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

Love it!! Those frets look great!!! Care to share how you get the fret ends so nice?? They sure look sweet!!

Less is more when it comes to the dressing the fret ends with files; and 13 stages of hand-applied abrasives (400 to 12000 grit) on the back end will knock one's work out of the park both feel-wise and visually.

NICE!!!! That is a great resurrection!  Thankfully it has a pickguard, because looking at that bridge "routing" was making me angry. You were able to keep the mojo but turn it back into an incredible playing guitar.

I have a friend who works at Jescar and he was going on about the Stainless wire they are coming out with. Glad to hear about some real experiences with it.

That cavity could be for 9V for actives, and/or for an external preamp. It could be factory ... gosh knows Chisel Boy didn't add that cavity.

I've contemplated using the cavity to hide a dummy coil wired into the standard neck and middle (non-RWRP) single coils ... that could negate their 60-cycle hum while boosting their outputs, to better match them with the output of a rock-oriented bridge humbucker. Think humbucker, but with the second coil moved away from the string sensing area. John Suhr, James Tyler and I think the Fender Powerhouse Strats use hidden dummy coils in similar fashion.

12 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hey Jeff, do you have a fret file of choice when dressing up sharp fret ends?

The medium 8" is my go-to and MVP ...  https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/types-of-tools/files/3-corner-fret-dressing-files.html

On 4/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, Jeff R said:

That cavity could be for 9V for actives, and/or for an external preamp. It could be factory ... gosh knows Chisel Boy didn't add that cavity.

I've contemplated using the cavity to hide a dummy coil wired into the standard neck and middle (non-RWRP) single coils ... that could negate their 60-cycle hum while boosting their outputs, to better match them with the output of a rock-oriented bridge humbucker. Think humbucker, but with the second coil moved away from the string sensing area. John Suhr, James Tyler and I think the Fender Powerhouse Strats use hidden dummy coils in similar fashion.

Correct.  My son saved up for a Graffiti Yellow Powerhouse Strat when he was little.   It turned out to be one helluva guitar for $400!  He still plays that one even though he has a pretty nice, and growing collection himself.

Archived