Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Looking for a music Mixing desk.

I want one with raised shelfs for monitors but not raised in the middle where the computer/monitor would go.  I have a 27 inch iMac and raising it higher is not wanted.

Any ideas?  Not over a grand. and preferably closer to 1/2 that.  Doesn't need any extras but a slide out keyboard shelf.

Thanks

I really really like the design of my Output Platform desk. The rack spaces, monitor shelf, keyboard tray are just right,,,, I almost made this myself since the design is pretty straightforward but, back then, the cost wasn't that high and I generally don't build things that I can just buy off the shelf. It looks like covid-pricing may have struck here,,,, and building it yourself will be a little pricey too, the cost of plywood is ridiculous right now!

https://output.com/products/platform

I have been looking, too.  Based on my experience at work and home office, want a sit stand desk. So gonna get a base, some cherry butcher block, and put it together.  Get some rack units to stack on the back as monitor stands, etc. prob those will be birch ply stained a color.  

will cost about half vs buying a desk from someone premade and be exactly the size I want on a strong sit-stand base.  For my space 60x30 works. 

I could attach a keyboard (ie music keys, not computer) tray but instead will prob just hang my keyboard since I won’t use it often, and drop it on the desk surface when needed. 

1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I really really like the design of my Output Platform desk. The rack spaces, monitor shelf, keyboard tray are just right,,,, I almost made this myself since the design is pretty straightforward but, back then, the cost wasn't that high and I generally don't build things that I can just buy off the shelf. It looks like covid-pricing may have struck here,,,, and building it yourself will be a little pricey too, the cost of plywood is ridiculous right now!

https://output.com/products/platform

I have been looking at the platform. I am just concerned about the height of the iMac sitting on the shelf.  It is on my list.  Just have to check some measurements.

I have the Output as well.  It's made a world of difference for me.  I have my monitors a little higher than that top shelf, on stands next to the desk.  I have a 21.5" Mac (gonna have to replace that w/the 27"), and it works well for me there.  It's a nice, efficient design.

3 hours ago, mathman said:

I have been looking at the platform. I am just concerned about the height of the iMac sitting on the shelf.  It is on my list.  Just have to check some measurements.

You could borrow some of the design ideas you like and custom build your own like stedge,,, or even buy a pre-made then modify it to suit your needs. I can take measurements on this thing if you like...

spacer.png

21 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

You could borrow some of the design ideas you like and custom build your own like stedge,,, or even buy a pre-made then modify it to suit your needs. I can take measurements on this thing if you like...

Thanks,  if you don't mind.

1.  What size is the monitor there?

2. how far is it from the table to the bottom of the viewable part of the screen.

3. The platform is listed as being 36 1/2 tall on the back bridge/shelf.  Is that accurate?

4. Do you think it would affect the strength of the table to cut an oval out of the section marked with the white oval.

I have a 27 inch iMac.  If that shelf is 36 then the bottom of the viewable part of the monitor will be 42 inches high.  I guess it would be okay.

I may put something under my mac for now and see what it's like.

cut-out-table.jpg

2 hours ago, mathman said:

Thanks,  if you don't mind.

1.  What size is the monitor there?

2. how far is it from the table to the bottom of the viewable part of the screen.

3. The platform is listed as being 36 1/2 tall on the back bridge/shelf.  Is that accurate?

4. Do you think it would affect the strength of the table to cut an oval out of the section marked with the white oval.

I have a 27 inch iMac.  If that shelf is 36 then the bottom of the viewable part of the monitor will be 42 inches high.  I guess it would be okay.

I may put something under my mac for now and see what it's like.

cut-out-table.jpg

Once I get home I'll put the measuring tape to it. You should be able to cut an oval from that area without it affecting the loading strength much, I think that top piece is more about lateral bracing anyway, so long as it remains continuous it should be fine.

1.  32" ultra wide monitor

2.  4.5" from the top of table to viewable part of screen

3.  36.5" to the top level is accurate.

4.  That middle section has supports underneath spaced 19" apart so that's about as wide as your oval can be. It's 16" deep/ front to back.

Hope that helps!

On 4/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, LordsoftheJungle said:

1.  32" ultra wide monitor

2.  4.5" from the top of table to viewable part of screen

3.  36.5" to the top level is accurate.

4.  That middle section has supports underneath spaced 19" apart so that's about as wide as your oval can be. It's 16" deep/ front to back.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

+1 For the platform. I've had mine for about six months and love it. Would have gotten one a long time ago but just didn't have the room in my old space. It is very spacious and solid. I have a 32" monitor along with sizable monitors (8" woofers) and there is still plenty of space. The keyboard tray is huge. The whole desk is pretty sizable so you need some decent space to begin with. Mine came with a set of risers to raise the heght of the desk but it's fine without them for my use. Believe they come by default if you option for the keyboard tray. It's worth noting that the wait time was brutal, I want to say 3-4 months but the prodution times may vary given the current environment. Good luck!

edit3.jpg

I think @jettster is correct about the risers coming by default w/the keyboard tray.  I'm not using mine, either, but I've thought about it a couple times because the chair I'm using puts me right up against the keyboard try if I forget to lower it for keys.

I can't post a pic because my personal site is http, not https.

16 hours ago, jettster said:

+1 For the platform. I've had mine for about six months and love it. Would have gotten one a long time ago but just didn't have the room in my old space. It is very spacious and solid. I have a 32" monitor along with sizable monitors (8" woofers) and there is still plenty of space. The keyboard tray is huge. The whole desk is pretty sizable so you need some decent space to begin with. Mine came with a set of risers to raise the heght of the desk but it's fine without them for my use. Believe they come by default if you option for the keyboard tray. It's worth noting that the wait time was brutal, I want to say 3-4 months but the prodution times may vary given the current environment. Good luck!

Thanks, It does look great.   Last I checked the lead time was 3-4 weeks.  I am thinking of putting the keyboard piano in the tray and keep the computer keyboard on top.  But will have to wait till I get it.

Those Output desks look great! Was just showing them to my wife, finally she's onboard with some music equipment, ha! Hoping to get one next year, looks great for organizing things. (never my strong suit). 

Does it need to be furniture? Or can it be utilitarian and oddly functional?

DSCN9940small.jpg

It's now my work desk, but it's just one of those 48"x18" rolling wire rack shelf dealys with a 60" x24" piece of finished plywood for the top.

The shelves are nearly infinitely adjustable and you can expand it to however big you want. It holds a surprising amount of sh!t.

On mine, the bottom shelf is 6" off the floor and holds a sub and two PC towers, the shelf above the monitors has an amp and speakers, above that is a printer, disk player, cassette player and assorted junk. The riser puts the monitors (two 23") at eye level and was made from some leftover kitchen flooring. It's really easy to feed wires through the shelves or velcro tie them out of the way, and there's a ton of space for notes/post-its.

Not pretty, but it works.

ETA: And I can wheel it outside when the weather warms up a little. F*** it's cold this morning...

7 hours ago, mathman said:

I am thinking of putting the keyboard piano in the tray and keep the computer keyboard on top.  But will have to wait till I get it.

That was my original intent as well but in the end, more time is spent on the computer keyboard / mouse so I set it up this way for more comfort. I have a height adjustable chair with arm rests that flip back and out of the way. If I'm doing any work that requires the controller I can raise the height to be in good shape. If you have fixed arm rests it may be difficult to take full advantage of the cutout in the keybord tray. Either way, you should be pretty happy with it. Glad they have the production times back down. I believe they quoted 14 -16 weeks and that was about what it took.

I specifically bought the chair I have because it will adjust for height and the arm rests will pull back out of the way.  Mainly, for playing guitar while sitting there.

• 1 month later...

So I ordered the output desk on May 15, planning for it to come at the end of the school year. Expected it early June but it’s out for delivery today!

The Output Platform desk is really nice. Even larger than I was expecting. If you want a mixing or computer work desk you should consider it. Still getting it setup but it is nice to have the midi keyboard with easy access as well as everything else.

Still trying to decide how to set everything up on it.  Fun having my old rack effects available.  Cleaned the pots on my old Electra EP-401 and it works great again. 

Fun to just record any shit I think of again.

Example:  

new desk.jpg

Archived