Hamer Fan Club Message Center

For Sale 1991 Sunburst Archtop Standard

I have a listing on Reverb for a beautiful 1991 Archtop Standard with the '59 Sunburst finish.  This guitar is 100% original.

https://reverb.com/item/39886591-hamer-usa-sunburst-arch-top-standard-1991

I was able to decipher most of the product code information that is on the warranty card for this guitar.  The model is listed as GATS-XC.  Does anyone know what the "XC" stands for?

Welcome to the HFC!

If you have a USA Hamer for sale here it is customary to offer it to HFC-members for a reduced price (like $ 100 to 200 less than on Reverb).

Gabe 😀

3 hours ago, jp6 said:

I have a listing on Reverb for a beautiful 1991 Archtop Standard with the '59 Sunburst finish.  This guitar is 100% original.

I was able to decipher most of the product code information that is on the warranty card for this guitar.  The model is listed as GATS-XC.  Does anyone know what the "XC" stands for?

Welcome to the group jp6.

That's a pretty guitar. GLWTS

unofficial house rules; be kind to others. watch your wallet. don't take anything you read here too seriously.

On 4/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, jp6 said:

Your guitar is NOT an “Archtop Standard”, but an “Archtop Sunburst”.  In ‘91, they offered both a flat top and an arched top version.   “GATS-XC” means “Guitar ArchTop Sunburst - Chrome Hardware”.

”Standard” was a different model entirely...

7 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Your guitar is NOT an “Archtop Standard”, but an “Archtop Sunburst”.  In ‘91, they offered both a flat top and an arched top version.   “GATS-XC” means “Guitar ArchTop Sunburst - Chrome Hardware”.

”Standard” was a different model entirely...

So my '91 Neck-Breaker is a GATS-XC, not a GATS-F, as described in the '92 pricelist ("Sunburst Archtop Standard, Figured Top")? I've never seen a '91 pricelist, so assumed it was the same...1887616148_s-l1600(1).jpg.6282f6dd3e4d3949219422c096ce7461.jpg.ba120b1c63b745b1e140ee50dae35db2.jpg

ETA: I know the "Standard" is a different model, but thought "Standard" meant "bound top, no crowns or neck binding" in terms of trim lines in the Sunburst Archtop family, which was discontinued and replaced by the "Studio" trim and eventual model name, indicating no binding or crowns (see: Artist Studio). "Custom" always indicated B&C to me in Hamer's LP-beater models, from Sunburst Archtop Custom to Studio Custom. Please teach me, sifu!

1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

So my '91 Neck-Breaker is a GATS-XC, not a GATS-F, as described in the '92 pricelist ("Sunburst Archtop Standard, Figured Top")? I've never seen a '91 pricelist, so assumed it was the same...1887616148_s-l1600(1).jpg.6282f6dd3e4d3949219422c096ce7461.jpg.ba120b1c63b745b1e140ee50dae35db2.jpg

ETA: I know the "Standard" is a different model, but thought "Standard" meant "bound top, no crowns or neck binding" in terms of trim lines in the Sunburst Archtop family, which was discontinued and replaced by the "Studio" trim and eventual model name, indicating no binding or crowns (see: Artist Studio). "Custom" always indicated B&C to me in Hamer's LP-beater models, from Sunburst Archtop Custom to Studio Custom. Please teach me, sifu!

Just a thought....  there were years where they offered the Sunburst Archtop with a Floyd...  GATS-F....

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Just a thought....  there were years where they offered the Sunburst Archtop with a Floyd...  GATS-F....

That is correct - that's what the "F" designation is for.  I had a 1991 GATS-FXG (Sunburst Archtop with gold Floyd).  

This is the Flat Top version:

1991 Sunburst Flat Top.jpg

6 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That is correct - that's what the "F" designation is for.  I had a 1991 GATS-FXG (Sunburst Archtop with gold Floyd).  

This is the Flat Top version:

1991 Sunburst Flat Top.jpg

Now see, I never knew they offered the flat top as a standard model along with the arch top in the 90’s. I thought they just switched completely over to the archtop sunburst/studio and the special FM. I remember seeing a small handful of bound, flat top sunbursts from the 90’s but I thought they were a limited run. 

Looks nice, good one for the "no crowns/no binding" crowd. 

That black flattop w/ Floyd is STUNNING!

I just have to "suffer" with my '91 Sunburst apparently GATC-FFF - Figured Top w/ Factory Floyd? Just making acronyms up here today:

spacer.png

Interesting to see that I am not the only one having trouble with the Hamer product codes.  I think Archtop Standard is the correct match for GATS.

My guitar sold within 2 weeks on Reverb at a price just under $1,800 plus shipping.  Not as much as I thought it was worth, but close enough.  Great guitar and hopefully the new owner will enjoy it as much as I did over the past 25 years.

Archived