Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

great deal on a 25th Anniversary Artist in Canada


Recommended Posts

No affiliation.  If I didn't already have an Artist and an Artist Custom, I would be all over this.  No mention of swapped pickups, but from the pictures, they look like Phat Cats to me.

https://reverb.com/item/40213824-hamer-artist-1999-cherry-red-25th-anniversary-model

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure y'all know this already but the 25th Anniversary is a lightweight marvel. I turned my '98 into a slide demon, more SG than LP, by switching the bridge pup to a SD Custom Custom. My '99 feels like an altogether different guitar, more like a 339, but the fat-ish neck just slides into one's left hand like a good friend. Of the dozens of guitars I played in a 25 year touring career — including a Hamer I commissioned in the mid-'80s and a core PRS — my '99 25th Anniversary is one of very few that is so comfortable that  it let me forget about everything else and just play. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a few "P90 in a humbucker size" sort of pickups out there. Could be Duncans or other things. It's a fair deal but that's a lot for shipping. I've seen 'em cheaper in the last year but it's not out of line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 25ths, the Vanguards are simply killer guitars at a value price point. In a world were we are approaching 1K Indonesian Guitars, used Hamers sub $1500. are a steel. 

Edited by bubs_42
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW previous to the OP's post it was on sale even lower: down to $750 + $250 shipping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VincentYGB said:

FWIW previous to the OP's post it was on sale even lower: down to $750 + $250 shipping.

$250 shipping...?!?  Was he hand delivering it with a steak dinner and bottle of 25 year old scotch..?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Travis said:

$250 shipping...?!?  Was he hand delivering it with a steak dinner and bottle of 25 year old scotch..?

Still is $250 shipping and he's basically on the US border in Canada. Maybe too many cumulative head injuries from Curling?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, VincentYGB said:

Still is $250 shipping and he's basically on the US border in Canada. Maybe too many cumulative head injuries from Curling?

 

Shipping in Canada is hella expensive. And crossing an international border is expensive. This guy lives on an island so that's expensive too. Don't forget you will possibly have brokerage fees and possibly taxes you are on the hook for here too..... Seller has no control over what your government would charge you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dasein said:

Shipping in Canada is hella expensive. And crossing an international border is expensive. This guy lives on an island so that's expensive too. Don't forget you will possibly have brokerage fees and possibly taxes you are on the hook for here too..... Seller has no control over what your government would charge you.

And here I thought that the US and Canada were friends. Silly me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brokerage fees have nothing to do with Canada, and everything to do with the greedy bastards at FedEx, or UPS, or Purolator.  If you send via USPS (or Canada Post), the receiver may be on the hook for a Customs charge (duty is usually equivalent to whatever you would pay in sales tax), but that's it.  In contrast, brokerage fees are just a pure cash-grab.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Brokerage fees have nothing to do with Canada, and everything to do with the greedy bastards at FedEx, or UPS, or Purolator.  If you send via USPS (or Canada Post), the receiver may be on the hook for a Customs charge (duty is usually equivalent to whatever you would pay in sales tax), but that's it.  In contrast, brokerage fees are just a pure cash-grab.

Brokerage fees (Canada to USA) are levied by whatever shipping entity handles your cross border entry and coordinates clearance from your customs people -- Fedex, UPS, USPS........ I have heard that USPS doesn't charge a brokerage fee -- but you might have a clearance fee levied on you, and you might have sales tax levied on your [urchase as well. Duty is based not on where the goods were shipped from but where they were made. If you are getting a USA made Hamer from Canada there will be no duty, but if you are getting a Korean made guitar expect duty. It's status as a used instrument has no bearing on duty obligations. All this is what customs clearance entails - a declaration or entry is made - there are specific documents required and forms that get filled out by way of the seller to get your package clear through USA customs - and what happens at the border or what you get charged after the fact to actually land the goods is out of the shipper's hand with respect to those fees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We get hit by brokerage on the way to Canada too. Best shipping option to avoid that, and many times the duties as well, is shipping through Post either way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 10:58 PM, Travis said:

$250 shipping...?!?  Was he hand delivering it with a steak dinner and bottle of 25 year old scotch..?

I'll do it without the steak dinner and only one 25 year old...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...