Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ultimates: Going rate?

BubbaVO

The Ultimate is the new 4 Digit, nobody ever knows what to ask for one when it was time to sell, and nobody has any idea what the market price is. Anybody that comes along that just starts throwing prices out is BS, unless they have cash in hand. 

11 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Considering that you cannot order an Ultimate anymore you should be able to get what you paid if the guitar is like new.  A little wear... knock a little off the price.  Nicks, dings, buckle rash...  you can figure it out. 

Perhaps it's just me, but I certainly wouldn't sell mine for what I paid for it!

I haven't seen one (of the very few that have changed hands) sell for under $3k.

Many times I had wished I got in on that initial run of Ultimates. And I’ve lusted after every single one that’s been posted on this board. I’ve contemplated trying to snipe one when they go up for sale, as rare as that is. 

But then I’m reminded of why I got rid of my ‘97 hog Standard. That thing was a beast, sounded like my ex-girlfriend’s ass. THICC!!!  (In a good way). The mid-90’s medium neck carve was comfortable enough, very familiar. And while I would’ve preferred a thicker neck, in the end, it was the body shape that did me in. It’s just not for me. 

You’re not trying hard enough, Travis!

On 4/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, soli'd said:

Perhaps it's just me, but I certainly wouldn't sell mine for what I paid for it!

I sold an '06 Standard to cover 0016's cost. I lost two pounds in weight and got a killer guitar.  It's not right for every show, but it's perfect when I want it. The Ultimate is lightweight, the Shlabotnik pickups are perfect, and the top is AMAZING.

Going rate? Not for sale.

17 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

The Ultimate is the new 4 Digit, nobody ever knows what to ask for one when it was time to sell, and nobody has any idea what the market price is.

Not really. I new exactly what to ask for when I sold mine. Hint: it was nowhere near what I paid for it new. 

6 hours ago, RobB said:

Not really. I new exactly what to ask for when I sold mine. Hint: it was nowhere near what I paid for it new. 

You forget that I sold mine my Ultimate, as well as a 4 digit.  I remember how many members reached out to purchase that 4 Digit and  scoffed at what I was asking for it. ten offering me half of my asking price. One member bought it, and he will make money off of it one day and I am satisfied with what I got at the time. 

My point to the original OP that I expressed in a PM was, don't let anyone tell you that its worth X amount of dollars unless they are willing to give you X amount of dollars. Those who are not in a position to buy, have only fantasies about what guitars are worth and no reality of what the market will support. 

10 hours ago, Funky Chicken said:

My family will find out what mine is worth when they sell it after I leave the building.

I’ll offer them a cool $350.

• 3 weeks later...

I may have as much real info as anyone. I've bought 2 Ultimates used, both at a known premium to the original purchase price and both north of $3K. And I had zero problem paying what was asked, IMO fair prices given what they are, initial Shishkovs that are not likely to be repeated.

The first I purchased because it was available, I gave no consideration to any of the specs (beggars can't be choosers). I just jumped on it almost immediately after it showed up on the HFC. It had a MASSIVE neck, biggest I've ever played. I ended up selling that one (for exactly what I paid), when another Ultimate was offered to me that had specs more to my taste.

FWIW, only my initial purchase was listed publicly. Both the subsequent sale of that one and the purchase of the one I have now happened behind the scenes. I responded to a WTB for the sale and the 2nd purchase came from a friend here on the HFC.

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, bubs_42 said:

My point to the original OP that I expressed in a PM was, don't let anyone tell you that its worth X amount of dollars unless they are willing to give you X amount of dollars. Those who are not in a position to buy, have only fantasies about what guitars are worth and no reality of what the market will support. 

I've heard this same sentiment expressed in a dozen or so different ways, but none as clearly as this. 

Having given it more time rattling around in my brain, and considering what your c.2000s Hamer Standards are going for, $4000 isn't as crazy as it may sound.

Anyone disagree?  I'd like to hear the reasoning.

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

Having given it more time rattling around in my brain, and considering what your c.2000s Hamer Standards are going for, $4000 isn't as crazy as it may sound.

Anyone disagree?  I'd like to hear the reasoning.

Not crazy at all. Why WOULD you sell?

I regret not having joined on that first round. But I knew the body style/size does not fit me. The two Hamer Standards I once had, one korina, the other a 2005 (I think) chambered version were delightful. Just not for me. Playing in our (then) rehearsal space made that quite clear.

Still, if I DID have an Ultimate, I am pretty sure I would find a way to live with it. 😏

I wouldn't sell MINE for $5k.   

I sold my 2002 Standard Custom in natural with the chevron flame top and gold hardware for $4K and that was one of the nicest Hamers I've owned or played.  I thought that was a fair price for what it was.  Ultimate 0017 is much more to my liking than either that Hamer or 0109 (aka "Grandpa Rick").

I have a set of Schlabotnik's standing by for 0109, but haven't put them in because while it'll be better than the pickups in 0109 it still won't to match up with 0017.  No way imho.

5 hours ago, 0054 said:

Could not agree more with this statement.

At that price are you gonna get a better guitar? I think not.

I spoke with an HFC member who doubted the value, stating outside of the forum the guitars would not sell. I stated, and believe it true that each one that has sold has brougt a profit for the seller, that is value. Mike started his venture much later than a lot of other world class builders, his target market is different, the times they are a changing. Playing one is the big convincer though, and  they are worth the cost and time it takes to get one.

The doubter should check out about a half dozen FB/social media sites where people ask regularly whether there are any available Shishkov Ultimates available.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:41 AM, bubs_42 said:

You forget that I sold mine my Ultimate, as well as a 4 digit.  I remember how many members reached out to purchase that 4 Digit and  scoffed at what I was asking for it. ten offering me half of my asking price. One member bought it, and he will make money off of it one day and I am satisfied with what I got at the time.

I remember how I "met" Bubs.  I PM'd him a couple years before he was ready to sell his 4-digit.  Then, right before Christmas, he shot me a price and told me he wanted me to have it.  He even gave me "terms" and let me pay him over about a month or six weeks. 

I learned long ago that the "price" of a guitar is what I'll pay for it.    

14 hours ago, The Shark said:

I remember how I "met" Bubs.  I PM'd him a couple years before he was ready to sell his 4-digit.  Then, right before Christmas, he shot me a price and told me he wanted me to have it.  He even gave me "terms" and let me pay him over about a month or six weeks. 

I learned long ago that the "price" of a guitar is what I'll pay for it.    

You may have paid a premium for the guitars you have purchased form me, but at this point, they are all worth more than you paid. That is just icing on the cake. 

To anyone out there that just has a guitar they love, don't sell it, don't ever sell it. At any price it will never mean more to someone else than it does to you. The Ultimates, 4 Digits, and now just you plain old everyday Standards, the word is out and you cannot base prices on what they sell for on this forum. Sometimes though selling important pieces to someone you know will take care of them, enjoy them, and will respect them trumps the dollar amount you can get for them. 

Archived