Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB - Hamer Newport or Monaco Monaco

I never understood the guys who "can only play" one scale length and not another.   You're talking about millimeters of difference here - like less than 20 between the major scale lengths out there.  That's like a thumbnail spread out over the entire neck, tops.  I'm sure people can hear the difference between batteries too though, so...

:D

44 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I never understood the guys who "can only play" one scale length and not another.   You're talking about millimeters of difference here - like less than 20 between the major scale lengths out there.  That's like a thumbnail spread out over the entire neck, tops.  I'm sure people can hear the difference between batteries too though, so...

Long scale vs short scale: your woman knows the difference.

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

If there wasn’t any difference in scale length, wouldn’t there just be one? I think it has a lot to do with string tension for most average players. They only play one size of string, and a longer scale feels stiffer. 25.5 is more focused sounding, 24.75 sounds deeper and beefier. 25” scale is just wrong ! 😂 batteries is a whole other thread. 

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

AAs sound SO much better than AAAs. In my opinion, of course.

4 hours ago, django49 said:

AAs sound SO much better than AAAs. In my opinion, of course.

Yeah, but a pair of D’s have the best feel....

13 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I never understood the guys who "can only play" one scale length and not another.   You're talking about millimeters of difference here...

I thought it was a fair question. Some people have a preference, and some others even think the Newport and the Monaco are basically the same guitar.  

Personally, I prefer the longer scale.  I like that extra 3/4" with my meat hook hands, but I have several "Gibson" scales too. 

I adore my Monaco Superpro. The long scale in an otherwise very LP/ES recipe is a revelation. So much different having that extra space between the pups, and it makes me think differently than I would on my Artist, for example.

5 hours ago, kizanski said:

I thought it was a fair question. Some people have a preference, and some others even think the Newport and the Monaco are basically the same guitar.  

Personally, I prefer the longer scale.  I like that extra 3/4" with my meat hook hands, but I have several "Gibson" scales too. 

I agree and thanks. I’d probably prefer a Newport but the Monaco I once had was a great sounding guitar. Let’s see what pops up! 

1 hour ago, pirateflynn said:

I agree and thanks. I’d probably prefer a Newport but the Monaco I once had was a great sounding guitar. Let’s see what pops up! 

You kind of broke the mold on your custom ordered Newport though!   That was/is a sweet guitar.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

You kind of broke the mold on your custom ordered Newport though!   That was/is a sweet guitar.

That was an outstanding build! And ElDuave was great at managing the whole deal (including handling my excitement:))
I think a spruce top standard model will do me fine right now. 

16 hours ago, topekatj said:

It’s a Monaco buffet currently at Guitar Center — there are three overpriced but nice looking Mlll’s, and two solidbodies (a TV yellow and a Red Elite) at around $1500.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hamer/?typeAheadRedirect=true

TV model been there a while

1 hour ago, soli'd said:

I agreed with everything you said except this. 😉

I grew up at a time when PRS was just breaking out. I’ve owned them, played them and think they make amazing guitars. But side by side to another brand the familiarity of 25.5 and 24.75 beats out the 25 scale. I’m like, “It’s just missing something”. That something for me is the scale length. That’s one of the reasons Knaggs struck out on his own. JM ain’t playing 25” either, Paul bent the rules for JM. 

17 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I grew up at a time when PRS was just breaking out. I’ve owned them, played them and think they make amazing guitars. But side by side to another brand the familiarity of 25.5 and 24.75 beats out the 25 scale. I’m like, “It’s just missing something”. That something for me is the scale length. That’s one of the reasons Knaggs struck out on his own. JM ain’t playing 25” either, Paul bent the rules for JM. 

Something for everyone, I suppose......I know that I have played PRS guitars with at least 5 different scale lengths. I have not played the Strat style (25.5") which would be a  6th and then there is also a longer scale baritone.

23 hours ago, cmatthes said:

I'm that guy.  And don't get me started on string spacing and neck radius😁.

Good luck with the search for a new guitar.

16 hours ago, Travis said:

Yeah, but a pair of D’s have the best feel....

Not to mention the full bodied tone.

The only scale length on any guitar model that I can remember really didn't agree with me was the Hamer Monaco SuperPro.  

That being said, I'll sacrifice playability for cool any day.  My first run PRS Santana wins cool in any room.  I think it's really a great guitar for a guy with hands like a woman...

Archived