Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Case Queens vs. "Player Grade"

I'm kind of mulling over either getting another 78 Les Paul Custom or maybe a 79 to have something from when I was born.  I like Norlin-era stuff quite a bit when it isn't a boat anchor.  They do sound a little different, and the three-piece neck and volute have definitely saved me a headstock break a couple of times.  This isn't anything I'm looking to do right now, but I'm sorta of interested in maybe doing it in the next year.  I want to see if the market deflates a little over the next six months, but generally, I feel like if I'm going to do it, overall, they ain't getting any cheaper.  

All this is to say that I've been looking at what's around for the first time in a bit, and there are the usual case queens out there and a lot of well worn stuff as well.  Knowing that there are some real dogs from the 70s, I always kinda wonder why something was played so little.  Was there a reason it spent most of its life in a case?  Likewise, I know all that talk about being a "player,"  broken-in, and all that jazz is often just trying to cover for a guitar that has been ridden hard and put up wet, so to speak.  My original LPC was pretty played in, and I love that thing.  I have a bit of a natural inclination for those that are a bit played in due to that, but I've played plenty of beaters that were just beat up pieces of shit too, haha.

Anyway, I'm not really looking for advice on a Norlin-era purchase.  I just found myself being curious what the rest of y'all think about this in regard to old guitars.  I haven't bought anything in the last several years of running through guitars older than about 87 or 88, and back when I was young enough to encounter stuff from the 70s, I didn't know shit about guitars anyway.  

I've got a Case Queen so to speak, it's an "08" Studio Custom, black transparent flame top. To me it's really too nice to play out with, use it only at home. Kind of silly when you think about it though, I mean they're made to be played, right !! I  I guess another reason for a Case Queen is, someone bought it but really didn't like the neck profile, weight, or overall feel of it and just stashed it.

1 hour ago, tweed said:

I guess another reason for a Case Queen is, someone bought it but really didn't like the neck profile, weight, or overall feel of it and just stashed it.

When you're dealing with a forty year old guitar, ^^^ this ^^^ or the guitar was just an uninspiring stinky turd. Turd scenario usually wins out. The "it was my Grandpa's guitar and he died in 1979 right after he bought it, or it was "gifted when I (or a friend) was a teen", but never pursued playing and sat in its case under a bed or in a closet for forty years in most cases will be total bull hotchie. Not saying that never happens, but it's much rarer than Craigslist and Reverb ads would have you believe. 

I never wore a belt buckle or pants with rivets.  My playing "area" may have been tight, but my headstocks and pointy ends of the bodies never hit anything.  My thought was that it would never be possible to buy an expensive guitar again, so it was best to take care of what I had. 

There are some guitars that only got played at home. 

When I was a kid my guitar teacher and a few others mentioned "under the bed" guitars that were stored away to keep them nice.  Look at the frets and pickguard, and you might see they got played a little, too. 

18 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

It's called the "belly buffer." 

I have one too!

Thought it was called Dunlops Disease, when your belly done lops over your belt !

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

When you're dealing with a forty year old guitar, ^^^ this ^^^ or the guitar was just an uninspiring stinky turd. Turd scenario usually wins out. The "it was my Grandpa's guitar and he died in 1979 right after he bought it, or it was "gifted when I (or a friend) was a teen", but never pursued playing and sat in its case under a bed or in a closet for forty years in most cases will be total bull hotchie. Not saying that never happens, but it's much rarer than Craigslist and Reverb ads would have you believe. 

You never know......Way back in 1969, someone called in answer to my newspaper ad for a "WTB Electic Guitar". I may still have the note my mother wrote down, saying the guy had a "Lef Paul" guitar. And how easy were THEY to find then? Turned out it was the original owner who bought it in 1956 (goldtop). Apparently had been in a closet most ofthe next dozen or so years. A fairly young guy, with a family and a newer ranch house in the suburbs. ...."How much do you want for it?"......"Oh, I dunno, Howzabout $75?" It was a different time. Who knew from "vintage" or "collectible"? Maybe covered half his mortgage payment that month. More or less 2 1/2 weeks take home pay for me.

Why someone would take a personal check from a kid, I dunno. But it went home with me.......

So SOMETIMES it does happen.......

Sounds like you’re pretty set on a $3500 Norlin. Before committing to a purchase, you may want to consider an FGN. You can find these on yahoo Japan auctions, ishibashi and other websites. Lacquer, ebony, pearl, mahogany. I’d put these up against any LP from the 70s, easy. Less than 1/3 of what Norlins cost. 

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but, to me, value wins over nostalgia most every time.

image.jpeg

27 minutes ago, django49 said:

You never know......Way back in 1969, someone called in answer to my newspaper ad for a "WTB Electic Guitar". I may still have the note my mother wrote down, saying the guy had a "Lef Paul" guitar. And how easy were THEY to find then? Turned out it was the original owner who bought it in 1956 (goldtop). Apparently had been in a closet most ofthe next dozen or so years. A fairly young guy, with a family and a newer ranch house in the suburbs. ...."How much do you want for it?"......"Oh, I dunno, Howzabout $75?" It was a different time. Who knew from "vintage" or "collectible"? Maybe covered half his mortgage payment that month. More or less 2 1/2 weeks take home pay for me.

Why someone would take a personal check from a kid, I dunno. But it went home with me.......

So SOMETIMES it does happen.......

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Not saying that never happens

I said it's a possibility. But, there's a big difference though Don, in 1969 a Lester would be 9-17 years old at most. We're talking 40 years now for a '79. We're also talking about guitar inventories that didn't exist back then with many many more times the ownership and numbers, which also brings multitudes of con artists and liars, much more so than in 1969.

9 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I said it's a possibility. But, there's a big difference though Don, in 1969 a Lester would be 9-17 years old at most. We're talking 40 years now for a '79. We're also talking about guitar inventories that didn't exist back then with many many more times the ownership and numbers, which also brings multitudes of con artists and liars, much more so than in 1969.

Yep.....Not too many of us were out there searching for guitars just because we loved them way back then, though the Clapton/Beck/Page/Bloomfield Les Paul  fans were emerging. A few folks (Norm Whatsisname comes to mind) made a business out of it.

Way too many people looking for "scores" and flips" anymore. And "exaggerating" their "prize holdings".

I’ve gotten a bit of a late ‘70s LPC itch myself the past few months and as a result have watched more than a few ‘”Trogly” episodes on YouTube. The guy is a bit nerdy but reviews, dismantles, cleans up and weighs numerous LPCs from the late ‘70’s to the mid-‘80’s when the weight relief construction began at Gibson.

I don’t think he’s put a LPC on the scale that weighed less than 10 1/2 pounds. There’s another episode touting the ‘good wood’  Gibson used in the late ‘80’s, but I guess those would be weight relieved.

Good luck finding the 9 1/2 pounder!

48 minutes ago, RobB said:

Sounds like you’re pretty set on a $3500 Norlin. Before committing to a purchase, you may want to consider an FGN. You can find these on yahoo Japan auctions, ishibashi and other websites. Lacquer, ebony, pearl, mahogany. I’d put these up against any LP from the 70s, easy. Less than 1/3 of what Norlins cost. 

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but, to me, value wins over nostalgia most every time.

image.jpeg

I'm not particularly looking for just a good Les Paul.  I own four good Les Pauls as it is, so there is no logical reason to purchase another other than just really specifically wanting another Norlin-era Lester.  

If it just came down to a sound and playability, god knows there are scores of options for less than half of what 70s LPs in good shape are going for.  

4 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

It's called the "belly buffer." 

I have one too!

Down here in the Sandhills of NC, we call it "table muscle".

Lucsulla

interesting. I have kinda been looking, recently, too. I have a 71 gold top deluxe and really enjoy it. But i dont know tons re LPs. Seems to me like 70s gets you t tops and volute and 80s gets Shaws (at least potentially in both cases, if stock).  In the listening i have found, both sound good. Shaws maybe lowest output of the type. 

but you might also find shaws in some firebrand and other “lesser” LPs from the 80s.  So i might mess around in that direction and save some moolah.  Or not. 

cool guitars. Good luck in your search. 

Buying something cool from the year I was born is something that kicks around in my head time to time..  but it's about a resto-mod/driver classic car vs a fiddle.   I really haven't considered the latter, but I'd think something like a '60 strat and (hell why not) a same year bassman on the side.  Would I play it more or less than the others?   likely not.  It wouldn't spend more time in the case just because of what it is.   Now perhaps if it were a '60 strat that no one ever munged-up I wouldn't mess with it  (even if that would magically exist?), but that wouldn't be something I'd buy near market value anyway.. .    nor some uber-desirable classic car in pristine original condition and 50 miles on the odometer.  

Overall, I'd say I've tweaked my player-grade acquisitions less than others.. the majority were pretty much kickin right out of the case.. so I do think there's something to that.  Maybe some of that was just pure ass luck/coincidence.  It's definitely not to omit some stellar characters to be found amongst the others. 

Had a 79 LP Custom. Weighed a ton and I believe it had a maple neck. Am in no hurry to purchase another. Especially considering I bought it new in 79 for $575 and would have to spend $ 3500 for one today. Better bang for the buck elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, stedge said:

Lucsulla

interesting. I have kinda been looking, recently, too. I have a 71 gold top deluxe and really enjoy it. But i dont know tons re LPs. Seems to me like 70s gets you t tops and volute and 80s gets Shaws (at least potentially in both cases, if stock).  In the listening i have found, both sound good. Shaws maybe lowest output of the type. 

but you might also find shaws in some firebrand and other “lesser” LPs from the 80s.  So i might mess around in that direction and save some moolah.  Or not. 

cool guitars. Good luck in your search. 

Shit, the one I have now doesn't have Shaws.  Some guitar tech talked me out of them 20 years ago when I had some duncans put in by saying they were "some weird pickup."  Ten years later I realized I got ripped off.

2 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Had a 79 LP Custom. Weighed a ton and I believe it had a maple neck. Am in no hurry to purchase another. Especially considering I bought it new in 79 for $575 and would have to spend $ 3500 for one today. Better bang for the buck elsewhere. 

It has a maple neck.  All the 70s Norlins did, at least by 72 or 73 I believe.  Certainly by the last half. Mine weighed 9 lb. 7 oz.  Lighter ones are around. 

Not a fan of case queens. I don't want to worry about every scuff or pick swirl. The main reason I sold that old ES-330 was because I was afraid to take it out of the case. No thanks.

My '79 LPC is a pig, but it's my pig and I use it the same now as I did 40 years ago. It goes to every gig and gets used for most of it. I have better, lighter guitars (2 CO Hamers and a Shishkov) but the LP knows what I like and delivers every time. One of the Hamers always goes along and the Shishkov is going to see some action - as soon as there's action to see - because they need to be used, but the LP always does the heavy lifting.

Archived