Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Replacement Tuners (Pic Included)

aALazyDazyAa

Question

Hey there,

Looking for a direct replacement... MIK Sunburst mid 90's

These appear to be the 2-Pin indexing type tuners with no screw, Dont have the guitar yet, so i can only run off the picture... I'd like to go ahead and order some replacements, why cant I find this type that's 3x3 instead of 6 inline?

Thanks

19 answers to this question

Wouldn't you want to actually PLAY it first to see if you even need to do that?   😕

@cmatthes Sure, that's logical... Tuners can be returned if they're not needed, there seems to be an overwhelming support of doing so on the Unbranded import tuners from what I have gathered..

Hopefully im wrong tho!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First off I'll say this... So far this Forum has been overwhelmingly fantastic. Every member I've had contact with has been courteous and helpful to say the least...

I've been nothing but inquisitive and humble in trying to ask questions here, because I do understand that the majority of you have valuable knowledge and experiences to offer. Though you made a valid point above @cmatthes you also made an invalid assumption. I mean no disrespect, genuinely, but I cant say your response did come off a little condescending... that's fine if you want to pass judgement or think less, because there are those of us whom don't do things exactly as you do. 

If I wanted to replace the tuners, why not? Preferences are okay. And I dont think wanting to have a set of Tuners I can identify with is a problem, vs some unbranded from a 25yr o import guitar that Im having difficulty finding info on..

I was asking for help, that's it... I feel like you could of have said what you needed to say in a way that doesn't intend on shutting me down.

like - "Hey, these tuners can be hit or miss, maybe try them out first, if you do find you want to replace them with something quality, 'these' could work well as a replacement."

Kind of a buzz kill honestly... and it sets a precedent for those to read this thread after, I would expect a little more couth from an admin based on the kindness i've received otherwise...

Rant Over 

15 minutes ago, aALazyDazyAa said:

First off I'll say this... So far this Forum has been overwhelmingly fantastic. Every member I've had contact with has been courteous and helpful to say the least...

I've been nothing but inquisitive and humble in trying to ask questions here, because I do understand that the majority of you have valuable knowledge and experiences to offer. Though you made a valid point above @cmatthes you also made an invalid assumption. I mean no disrespect, genuinely, but I cant say your response did come off a little condescending... that's fine if you want to pass judgement or think less, because there are those of us whom don't do things exactly as you do. 

If I wanted to replace the tuners, why not? Preferences are okay. And I dont think wanting to have a set of Tuners I can identify with is a problem, vs some unbranded from a 25yr o import guitar that Im having difficulty finding info on..

I was asking for help, that's it... I feel like you could of have said what you needed to say in a way that doesn't intend on shutting me down.

like - "Hey, these tuners can be hit or miss, maybe try them out first, if you do find you want to replace them with something quality, 'these' could work well as a replacement."

Kind of a buzz kill honestly... and it sets a precedent for those to read this thread after, I would expect a little more couth from an admin based on the kindness i've received otherwise...

Rant Over 

If you think that was condescending or shutting you down, you're in for a surprise.
"You ain't seen nothin' yet," as the saying goes, in your 5 weeks here.

He asked you a fair question, and knowing him as I do (that is to say very well), that was not him being condescending. 
We do  our best to welcome new members here, but the leash is short. 

14 minutes ago, kizanski said:

If you think that was condescending or shutting you down, you're in for a surprise.
"You ain't seen nothin' yet," as the saying goes, in your 5 weeks here.

He asked you a fair question, and knowing him as I do (that is to say very well), that was not him being condescending. 
We do  our best to welcome new members here, but the leash is short. 

Fair enough,

Peace and blessings my friends

There was absolutely NOTHING condescending in my question, and for the life of me, I don't see how you got that, but then again, I've been used to the internet for almost 30 years, so don't take offense easily.

My point was simply that many people gig these guitars regularly for decades and the original equipment is perfectly fine.  It doesn't make any sense to fork over a significant percentage of your guitar's value on something when you don't even know there's a problem with it, that's all.  Some of the import guitars are gems, some are pure shit, but you won't be able to make that determination until you actually play it, right?

18 hours ago, aALazyDazyAa said:

I thought this was ask the HFC experts message board? Where you answered questions, not asked them..

Whoa there, partner; it works both ways.  I'm not the 20-year HFC veteran that some of these lads are, but I'm gradually approaching a decade.  The folks here will both assist you with suggestions and answers based on their considerable experience and subject matter expertise...but they'll also challenge your notions and assumptions (and yes, questions of clarification) in ways that should make you stop and think.  I've been here long enough to know that we can chide and poke at each other in the name of good fun.  Of course, I don't mind having my assumptions challenged about guitar purchases or upgrades if there are experts who've traveled that road many times before me.  It doesn't mean I'll change my mind, but sometimes the advice I get here makes me take a different direction on a project or purchase.  It's also never offered with malice or bad intent, so I read responses to my queries and take them in context.

MIK Slammer Series Hamers are the one import line that most of the members here agree were relatively well-conceived and executed.  Sure, they're not USA Hamers, but many of us own one or more (and gig them)  to go along with their purebred siblings.  

Import tuners are hit or miss. I've had both good and shit. Yours may be just fine. Try 'em for a while. Personally I like locking Sperzels.

cmatthes was being totally straight with you. He's very smart. You should listen to him. But not that Kizanski guy. He's a jerk.

These guys have kept me from doing an untold number of stupid things over the past 20 years. You could learn a lot. If you're willing....

2 pin tuners: I tried to find, dug around, and sadly couldn't come up with much. Sperzel makes a single center pin that's 3x3 and this pin-hole would be hidden once the tuner was installed. As an upgrade option, this is as good as it gets I think because there would be no visible changes to the back of the headstock. My .02 - good luck!

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

cmatthes was being totally straight with you. He's very smart. You should listen to him. But not that Kizanski guy. He's a jerk.

Let him find out for himself that I'm a jerk!

3 hours ago, JGravelin said:

2 pin tuners: I tried to find, dug around, and sadly couldn't come up with much. Sperzel makes a single center pin that's 3x3 and this pin-hole would be hidden once the tuner was installed. As an upgrade option, this is as good as it gets I think because there would be no visible changes to the back of the headstock. My .02 - good luck!

Sperzel makes 'EZ-Mount' pinless tuners. All you have to do is make sure the tuner is straight before tightening. From their site:

"The Sperzel EZ-Mount requires no such drilling for the mounting pin. There are two prongs projecting from the back of the housing that actaully sink into the wood as you tighten the washer and barrel nut onto the headstock. These prongs efoortlessly perform the same task as our standard mounting pin - keeping the tuning key from moving on the headstock - without the added drilling.

EZ-Mount can be ordered for 6 in-line or 3x3 style headstocks. Simply line up the tuning key on the headstock to look straight, then hold in place as you tighten down the washer and barrel nut — it's that easy."

Im back to follow up on this ? and hopefully give some feedback that may be useful to some..

First off, the MIK slammer is great, period.

I took the advice left by a few members here, that ended up being mostly helpful. Their recommendations to not jump to any conclusions and start slapping replacement parts on was sound. I bought the guitar online prior to ever actually even seeing a hamer.. any hamer...in person.. ever.. lol. But the deal was great so I took the chance based on my gut. So glad I did.. I was immediately impressed when I arrived to take it home w me. The wood, the finish.. the overall feel was of a, much, much higher standard than I anticipated. After a short time at home, it quickly became the guitar I was reaching for the most.. 

Now, as far as the hardware, and tuners specifically..again, I was impressed and happy that I wouldnt have to replace them after all... or so I thought...I'll preface by saying that the quality was 100% acceptable, and as good and even better than most, honestly. I think the issues, in my case, relate back to the over all age and wear on the tuning machines.. Mine do appear to be the originals, no hamer logo, so I might assume early MIK. The fretboard and other clues left me to believe this guitar has been played quite a bit by the previous owner at one time. I was informed by the seller this guitar was part of a large collection that went to estate, so it may have sat for a long period of time as well, not sure... regardless, for tuners nearly 30 yrs hold, they've held up remarkably well. It may be my frequency of playing the guitar, or simply timing..nothing last forever, but after 6 mo, I began to notice frequent tuning, as well as spikey tuning. Some slop in 2 of the gears, jumpiness so to speak.. As much as I hated to, I knew it had to be done..

That led me back to here.. again..

At the advice of hamerhead, I went w the sperzel EZ mount in hopes I would get lucky w the 2 indexing pins matching up, and no drills or additional screws needed. I WAS HIGHLY AGAINST ANY MODIFICATIONS... my only quam being I didnt like the buttons..with the 2 wierd dimples (why? Sperzel). Nonetheless, a stable guitar and tuning was more important, so if they worked, id live w the not-so-nice buttons...

THEY WORKED! Beautifully.. no mods, nothing. Eased out the old, eased in the new... perfect fit. 2 pins aligned flawlessly... and heres the wierdest and ALMOST the best part. The bittoms from the the old tuners fit PERFECTLY on the new sperzels? Whaaaa!?!?

I would have bet money that it woukdnt work, but it more than worked.. Now I have a rock machine that holds tune like a bird. She screams! Very stable and string changes are quick and easy... And she keeps her original charm w those buttons!

NOW its business FROM the front, party FROM the back!

Your mileage may vary, but if you have tuners like these, the sperzels are a great replacement option if you find they're needed. 

Archived