Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Yet More Junior Brown - Hope You Think Funny

If you’re not entertained watching Junior Brown perform, you aren’t capable of being entertained.

mid-2000's I played a Halloween gig in Houston..  crazy and fun night only to end too early!    The police told the owner we could play one more tune and then shut it down..   I remember my 2 good friends in the band looking my way with the obvious words - Highway Patrol.   (which was one of our fun covers anyhow).   😛

On 5/15/2021 at 12:37 AM, Ranger said:

And more!

(OK, I'll stop now.)

Way cool guitar solo! 

2 hours ago, Disturber said:

Way cool guitar solo! 

The studio versions (there are two) are better.  Plus there aren't stupid "Fun Facts" popping up to distract and block your view.

It's funny, in the last week or so, I've been messing around again with my 1/2 of a twin neck (a previous owner had sawed off and discarded the now-long-gone 'outer' neck, and it still functions fine) '50's-era Alamo 8-string lap steel.  Actually, it's a 'table' steel as it never had legs, but with half the weight and bulk gone it's a lap steel now.  Anyway, I had also just gotten out my March '97 issue of Guitar Player magazine, the issue where Junior is the cover subject...the same issue where Carl Perkins gets interviewed in a different article in the magazine, and mentions very briefly about having a two-pickup Strat-like guitar made for him by Hamer.  I've kept this magazine around for years as it has good info about playing non-pedal steel from Junior, and it's as good as any reference I've ever found...and I'm using my copy as a playing reference again, so I guess I'm still getting my money's worth from that issue.

Here's Junior playing an archtop guitar that once belonged to Hank Garland, as well as Don Rich's sparkle Tele:

FWIW, Junior also wrote and played steel on 'The Texas Song' (AKA 'I Wanna Go Home') on Spongebob Squarepants.  This clip came from a Spongebob channel on YooToob, everything after about 1:45 is extraneous toon stuff (sorry about that).  For comic effect, Junior sings the last line of the song for that 'low down and lonesome' feeling:

Archived