Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Studio Kit?

Ewwww.

The emphasis of Hamer was on quality beyond the competition.  They paid extra so they could reject wood.  They took two weeks to finish a guitar when they could have done it in two days.  Neck blanks were allowed to settle for three months before being turning into finished necks. 

A kit guitar will not have any of the stuff that made a Hamer a Hamer. 

21 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The emphasis of Hamer was on quality beyond the competition.  They paid extra so they could reject wood. 

They should have spent that money on a good marketing firm. 

B986378E-2BDE-4B80-9F8C-437AFE91F36C.jpeg4D005307-793C-49F9-8B8C-F4538D01AAB9.jpeg1CCAEFAF-64A5-4EA2-9363-FA5A3D404461.jpegI’ve done 2 from precision.  The nicest of all the kits I’ve seen.  Both mine have had really nice wood.  

first one dc special/Junior.  Wish I would have just ordered this with one pickup.  Turned out good but would’ve been better if my finishing skills were better   Plays great.  This guitar rings out loud and longer than any other guitar I’ve owned   I wish they would set the neck further into the body like a Hamer. Their double pickup route is dumb looking even it does sound fine  I know it’s so the neck doesn’t crack but if they did it the Hamer way it would be awesome  

Second was the korina standard/explorer.  Plus I ordered it with an ebony board  and ebony headstock overlay.    I just don’t have the budget to pay 4K for a korina standard.   It’s nice that these are the same thickness (1.75” ) as a Hamer not the skinnier body of a Gibson.
The wood is lovely on mine and my nitro finish turned out better than I could have imagined.  I took my time and built a spray booth.  Had a couple mistakes that I sanded back and fixed  

This is now my #1 guitar   Wired it up with Gravelin charlottes which I also have in my Studio Custom   The string to string definition on this guitar is awesome   I wouldn’t expect much tone difference to the studio custom with the same pickups but there is bit of difference   The studio custom just sounds mushier on the bottom end  and chording.   But it does sing just a tad more on leads. I’ve even been toying with selling the studio custom so I can do another precision build in the style of a flame maple topped standard.   I really dig the body shape. 

I THINK Precision is part of Fast Guitars, who do a fine job on building some high-end guitars you have heard of... of course the builder makes a difference, but if this is the company I'm thinking of, the wood and machining will be very good.

3 hours ago, polara said:

I THINK Precision is part of Fast Guitars, who do a fine job on building some high-end guitars you have heard of... of course the builder makes a difference, but if this is the company I'm thinking of, the wood and machining will be very good.

You are correct.  

10 minutes ago, Ua D said:

Of course keep in mind the resale sucks.  

I'll give ya $350 for it. 😂

The finish did turn out good. How big was your spray booth?

On 5/24/2021 at 12:47 PM, DaveH said:

I'll give ya $350 for it. 😂

The finish did turn out good. How big was your spray booth?

Nice try.  

Per the booth, not big enough.  But it was 8’ high by 4’ wide and 5’ deep.   I actually converted a part of my patio by installing vertical 2”x2” and then stapling 6mil clear tarp around.    I had filters and fans(sure it was err explosion proof yeah that’s it) to extract and pump in air.   Luckily i already have a 35 gallon air compressor.  
I might refinish the first guitar with nitro.  The tru oil feels pretty nice but doesn’t look as good. 

23 hours ago, Ua D said:

B986378E-2BDE-4B80-9F8C-437AFE91F36C.jpegTheir double pickup route is dumb looking even it does sound fine  I know it’s so the neck doesn’t crack but if they did it the Hamer way it would be awesome  

I was trying to figure out why it looks so off, but I guess it's the gap between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup.  :D 

On 5/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, Ua D said:

Nice try.  

Per the booth, not big enough.  But it was 8’ high by 4’ wide and 5’ deep.   I actually converted a part of my patio by installing vertical 2”x2” and then stapling 6mil clear tarp around.    I had filters and fans(sure it was err explosion proof yeah that’s it) to extract and pump in air.   Luckily i already have a 35 gallon air compressor.  
I might refinish the first guitar with nitro.  The tru oil deems pretty nice but doesn’t look as good. 

Alternative reality:  You recreated Daniel-San's shower costume from "The Karate Kid" and started spraying.  ;) 

UCc_VCTpvgRoJEdOeNEgUSvQFlllNhBbdWPh89r4

Archived