Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Grippy strap recommendations?

tomteriffic

Question

A while back I got a cigar box guitar, pretty nice, actually, and threw any old strap on there, in this case a "seatbelt material" nylon thing that is very slick.  Unfortunately, the guitar has severe neck dive and I can hardly play the thing, standing or seated, for chasing the neck around.

Any recommendations for a less slippy, more grippy strap?  I'd like to get more proficient with the thing, but a few seconds at a time is all I can manage.

10 answers to this question

14 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Braided leather strap. 

^^^^^This. I got two of these from r70. They’re super comfy (if a bit hippie-looking) and grip the shoulder well. Recommended. 

3 hours ago, Camstone said:

I have been using Comfort Strapp for years. I think I own six of them. They have a neoprene shoulder pad backed with heavy elastic webbing that doesn't slip and provides some stretch. Great for heavy guitars or neck dive prevention.

https://comfortstrapp.com/

That looks really well designed. About how much and where? Direct?

I use Lakota Leathers American Bison straps on all of my electrics.  Probably the most supple leather you will ever encounter, and natural suede backing really keeps a guitar in place.  They have 2nds from time to time on ebay as well.

13 hours ago, Camstone said:

You can get them on Amazon for about $35

Thanks. I read a few testimonials and it appears that part of the strap is leather. Fact or Fiction?

6 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Thanks. I read a few testimonials and it appears that part of the strap is leather. Fact or Fiction?

Yes, the two strap ends (that you fasten to the guitar) are leather. Probably to ensure that the guitar finish doesn't get damaged. 

Archived