Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Body shape of '90s Cruise bass

I've borrowed a '95 USA Cruise Bass which I am possibly going to buy.

Just wondering if its body shape is identical to an original Fender Jazz Bass? I don't have one to compare with, but pictures on the web seem to indicate this, more or less. Or do they differ slightly?

Wondering mostly because I might be wanting to put a different pickguard on it (without adding new screw holes hopefully).

The bodies are definitely different - close, but the Cruisebass is smaller in some places and the curves/contours also differ (as does the neck joint, fingerboard end).  Here’s a ‘96 Cruisebass v. a ‘64 Reissue Jazz Bass:

E26022BB-6A9B-45DE-8259-7D96E0B8935C.jpeg

A946D568-8D41-431F-9DD3-D2CDBF5F2A5A.jpeg

BF532CA4-9CC1-4E26-B791-86536381BBAA.jpeg

58BFDE7D-5953-4F2C-BFFD-3AB82784CF06.jpeg

BDB23E3B-3081-47C6-A1D2-2411E314E374.jpeg

On 5/29/2021 at 9:00 AM, stratacus said:

Pickguard Planet sells Hamer Cruise pick guards.

I did mine there(originaly white),  you choose the color texture etc etc about the pic, fantastic work , fits like/better than the original, no extra screws, i love it

20210530_180716_copy_1134x2016.jpg

Thanks a lot for your replies, with pictures and all! 👍

Actually, I was pondering the idea of putting a jazz bass pickguard, and maybe even a metal control plate, on it, so I wondered if they would be compatible. But I guess I would have to get one custom made in that case, or maybe I'll just remove the guard, or leave it as it is since I'm getting more used to the look of it. Still planning to swap the knobs with JB-style stove knobs with markers on, though.

By the way, how do you guys think the Cruise Bass ('90s version) compare to the Jazz Bass sound and feel wise?

The 2Tek is heavier, but it makes a significant difference in the sound of the bass.  Find a Cruise Bass with a Gotoh bridge if you want a bass that is lighter. 

A metal plate on the front is going to require a custom cut unless you want to fill the existing holes and drill new ones. 

Once you go down the path of having a custom pickguard designed and made plus having a custom metal plate designed and made (knob spacing is different) in an effort to transform the Cruise into a Jazz, why not just buy a Jazz instead? It seems to me that the world is full of Fender Jazz basses to choose from.

9 hours ago, lidbjork said:

And are your Cruise basses also awfully heavy? Mine weighs 4.9 kg (10.8 lbs). The 2Tek bridge seem popular, but I think it's a bit on the bulky side.

My son's '95 with the older 2Tek (2 rows of screws) is significantly heavier than my '96 Cruisebass with the later generation 2Tek (1 row of screws).  The older one is 9lbs, 3oz, the later one is 8lbs 3oz.   I've played lighter and heavier, but the older ones in this run seem to be the heavier ones for the most part.

As far as shedding the pickguard, I know a few people who have gone that route.  This was my brother's bass that was made for Jeff Ament (note the enlarged headstock, per his preference).  It's a very clean look without the pickguard too if you went that route...

Blue Jeff Ament Cruisebass.jpg

On 5/31/2021 at 2:34 PM, stobro said:

Once you go down the path of having a custom pickguard designed and made plus having a custom metal plate designed and made (knob spacing is different) in an effort to transform the Cruise into a Jazz, why not just buy a Jazz instead? It seems to me that the world is full of Fender Jazz basses to choose from.

But .... I want a Hamer.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:55 PM, cmatthes said:

My son's '95 with the older 2Tek (2 rows of screws) is significantly heavier than my '96 Cruisebass with the later generation 2Tek (1 row of screws).  The older one is 9lbs, 3oz, the later one is 8lbs 3oz.   I've played lighter and heavier, but the older ones in this run seem to be the heavier ones for the most part.

As far as shedding the pickguard, I know a few people who have gone that route.  This was my brother's bass that was made for Jeff Ament (note the enlarged headstock, per his preference).  It's a very clean look without the pickguard too if you went that route...

Blue Jeff Ament Cruisebass.jpg

That one looks cool! I like that larger headstock.

Do you think the newer 2Tek is a direct replacement for the older (2 rows of screws) one?

I love my Cruise 2Tek I bought here a while back! I had sold my 70's P Bass and I like the Cruise bass much better! I have a heavy hand, and do a lot of Hybrid picking, it just rings out!!!

My '97 Cruise V with 2tek is about 9 pounds 13 oz.  Mine is trans white/cream, it came with a tort pickguard, I got a mop guard from Kim Keller while he was still at Hamer.  I still really like the white on white.  As much respect as I have for Fender (and Gibson), I say leave it looking like a Hamer.  If you do put on a Fender style guard, I don't see why you couldn't use a vinyl sticker type thing, cut to shape, and then you've got no new screw holes. 

I didn't know enough about 2-Tek bridges to know there is an early 2-rows of screws version and a later single row version. Which do I have on my Cruise?

Cruise White 090811B.jpeg

16 hours ago, stobro said:

I didn't know enough about 2-Tek bridges to know there is an early 2-rows of screws version and a later single row version. Which do I have on my Cruise?

Cruise White 090811B.jpeg

That’s the second, later version (single row of mounting screws for the “fingers”).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jimbilly said:

My '97 Cruise V with 2tek is about 9 pounds 13 oz.  Mine is trans white/cream, it came with a tort pickguard, I got a mop guard from Kim Keller while he was still at Hamer.  I still really like the white on white.  As much respect as I have for Fender (and Gibson), I say leave it looking like a Hamer.  If you do put on a Fender style guard, I don't see why you couldn't use a vinyl sticker type thing, cut to shape, and then you've got no new screw holes. 

Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. But I've gotten used to the Hamer pickguard by now. Probably I'll just replace the knobs with black plastic (à la Jazz Bass), which I think looks better and also has position indication.

Really like this bass so far! It's a bit of a monster, with its heavy weight, 5 strings and all, but it's cool.

How do these compare to the 80's model; scale length and tone? Thanks!!

On 5/28/2021 at 5:01 AM, lidbjork said:

I've borrowed a '95 USA Cruise Bass which I am possibly going to buy.

Just wondering if its body shape is identical to an original Fender Jazz Bass? I don't have one to compare with, but pictures on the web seem to indicate this, more or less. Or do they differ slightly?

Wondering mostly because I might be wanting to put a different pickguard on it (without adding new screw holes hopefully).

90's Cruise Bass bodies are very different than Fender bodies - kind of like an amalgamation of a Jazz and a Precision.

Archived