Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: Brass vtrem, early Charvel and Floyd parts, Pickups

Long shot... but anyone wishing to liberate any of the following parts, reach out.

I have a few projects underway, and I am seeking:

• Early 80s Charvel 21 fret neck w/2 3/16 heel. Prefer no Floyd shelf, >=12" radius, and big frets, but will consider any and all [Still Looking!]
  • [Found] APM/Kahler brass vtrem unit with spacing to fit a 2 3/16 neck, and six hole mounting config.  Might consider modern versions too (Fender, FU, etc)
  • [Found] Floyd R3 nut circa 83-84 in chrome (early Schaller; 1.6875" width).  Trying to match an old FRT-5 system that came with an R5 nut
  • [Found]  Set of cream or zebra hums. Open to options new and old - SD, Bill Lawrence, Gravelin, DiMarzio, Gibson

Thanks, and any leads on the first three items above would also be welcomed and appreciated!

55 minutes ago, RobB said:

Killer Guitar Components makes a very nice brass trem. They currently only sell through Reverb. There aren’t any currently listed, but he’ll likely make one for you. 

As far as necks, Musikraft is probably the best outlet for Charvel clone necks. 

Agreed that Musikraft is the best, hands-down, but they’ve got a 4-6 month wait for custom orders right now.  Try Steve Parker at Parklane Guitars - he was the main guy at Musikraft for years and did nearly all the fretwork and tons of the builds.  I ordered a neck from him last summer that far exceeded my expectations.

I ordered a beautiful maple T-style neck from Coastal Customs in South Carolina.  Still working on the body, so it's not yet installed. I'll say this...it looks and feels nice and the fretwork is nicely done. I'll post pics later when I'm on my laptop.

Thanks for the references above.

I've seen Parklane on FB - great looking necks. I wasn't aware of the history there w/Musikraft. I'll scope out Coastal and KGC as well.

I'm a few months into a Musikraft neck order for the blue body below. I had missed out on the pictured '82 Charvel parts guitar last year, sulked for a while... and later decided to clone it in the name of science (mwahaha!).

In parallel, I am having a bound flametop body made (dual hum prepro clone w/vintage trem). I would ante up for an original neck for that project if heel size and general specs were a good fit. More than likely that hunt will continue, though, and I'll end up having a neck built for it.

yht3R9w.jpg

utMBe7Z.jpg

On 6/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, Biz Prof said:

I ordered a beautiful maple T-style neck from Coastal Customs in South Carolina.  Still working on the body, so it's not yet installed. I'll say this...it looks and feels nice and the fretwork is nicely done. I'll post pics later when I'm on my laptop.

Hey Jon,  definitely post pics...   curious to get a first hand report report...

BTW:  for those asking, Jim at Musikraft tells me they are running "about"  12-15 weeks       I'm at week 12 and they are in final sanding

so hopefully soon.   

Edit:  necks arrived,  love em...  very happy.     

They are well worth the wait, and its great to have a source for licensed Charvel necks built to any spec. 

I got this birdseye MK neck mid-2020. 2 1/4 heel with brass side markers as a nod to the past. Ordered raw, and finished it with Watco "golden oak" danish oil and tru oil top coats. Beautiful build, and I'm glad I was able to do it justice with my novice finishing skills.

ahDUUf7.jpg

6 hours ago, chromium said:

They are well worth the wait, and its great to have a source for licensed Charvel necks built to any spec. 

I got this birdseye MK neck mid-2020. 2 1/4 heel with brass side markers as a nod to the past. Ordered raw, and finished it with Watco "golden oak" danish oil and tru oil top coats. Beautiful build, and I'm glad I was able to do it justice with my novice finishing skills.

ahDUUf7.jpg

That’s cool. Was it hard to get the neck angle right with the decked OFR? Shims?

1 hour ago, RobB said:

That’s cool. Was it hard to get the neck angle right with the decked OFR? Shims?

That one set up fairly easily. Neck is not shimmed at all at the moment, and the Floyd sits flat against the body as a result - no pullback. That body is an old Musikraft (basswood, from the look of it), and the MK neck that was originally attached to it ended up getting repurposed on another mutt.

I'm planning to shim the new neck next time I'm in tweaking it, since I tend to like the floating config.

I've got 21 and 22 fret early 80's 81 & 83ish OG Charvel necks both 2 316" heel that I've been saving for a Star project but having a hard time deciding which one to use... I will let you know my decision when the I pull my head out of my ass & focus on this project LziGVWm.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I've got 21 and 22 fret early 80's 81 & 83ish OG Charvel necks both 2 316" heel that I've been saving for a Star project but having a hard time deciding which one to use... I will let you know my decision when the I pull my head out of my ass & focus on this project LziGVWm.jpg

Nice looking project, Dave!

I'd be game for either strat head neck if/when you ever elect to move one (I might even be local to you, if in Phoenix metro area). Hell, I might even be game for a complete guitar, and so keep me in mind if that ever happens. I missed that blue '82 above by about fifty bucks at auction. Grrr...

BTW, any opportunities or leads on parts like the brass vtrem on your star, older Floyd R3 nut, full units, etc. are welcomed as well. Got a few more projects ahead.

Cheers

On 6/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, DaveL said:

Hey Jon,  definitely post pics...   curious to get a first hand report report...

Tele-shaped 'Bird body looking good so far in grabber blue and semigloss black. This is intentionally going to be an imperfect finish so that it doesn't clash with the vibe of the weathered hardware.   Waiting on the finish to cure a bit more and for the "BOSS 429" decal to arrive.  I'll attach the Coastal Customs neck and the half-bridge (thanks, Dave!) at that point to make sure everything still lines up properly post-paint.  I love a summer project...

20210613_134031.jpg

20210613_134058.jpg

2 hours ago, devrock said:

What about an FU-Tone? I just got their brass trem for a new Strat build and it’s a beauty.

I noticed those, and nice to see and hear your impression of it. May end up going that route...

Great lookin' project!

20 hours ago, devrock said:

728A1E2B-6996-4B4F-804F-69DFE901E871.jpeg.fad48087acbacd86342421b0f885fa5b.jpeg

What about an FU-Tone? I just got their brass trem for a new Strat build and it’s a beauty.

Are the mounting screw holes on the baseplate’s underside beveled? (Many nyucks to be had from the previous sentence…).

2” string spacing, right?

• 4 months later...

Hijacking Chromium's thread again to post a couple of project updates.  Finally got the factory-correct "BOSS 429" lettering on the body along with several coats of clear.   Body still needs to leveled and buffed prior to assembly, but this dry fit of parts gives an idea of what the final product will look like.  Note the lugnut knobs; I'm still waiting for the laser/photonics lab assistants on my campus to render the miniature ball-shifter switch tip.  Actually, our laser students have a half-dozen minature wooden balls I painted black on which they are testing the engraving of the traditional Mustang a 4-speed shifter pattern. They wanted a challenging engraving project to work on...and I gave them one!  And for the record, I have marked the neck pocket and body to indicate that this is not a real Charvel. 

20211030_172343.jpg

20211030_172404.jpg

Archived