Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Where were you on July 21, 1974?

I was five and probably at kindergarden. Just doing potty training and mischievous stuff.

playing wiffleball, catching frogs, and if it was raining, we'd go into the house

and make crank phone calls.  I would laugh during delivery.  Sadly,  I was not very good at it.  

but I do remember my friend,  his older brother's had a band,   I distinctly remember those

Kustom tuck and roll blue sparkle cabs.  

I was 14 yrs. old and was going to be in 10th grade in the fall.

My mom was already letting me drive her car around town without a drivers license, and I used to drive my friends to the bad part of town to buy beer.

So most likely I was driving around town drinking beer and looking for girls with my friends.

Being 13 at the time, I was home listening to Alice Cooper, Grand Funk Railroad and Blue Oyster Cult at that time, a little Genesis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Jethro Tull in the mix too.  All on my folks home stereo of course, thru my Radio Shack headphones which were actually half decent for the day, though we did listen to some AM on a cheap portable in the bunkhouse we used in the summer outside our house.  

My friends from Albany NY and I were heavily into model rockets and Cox-engined powered planes and sailing their little Sunfish sailboat that summer when I wasn't working odd jobs.  Memories were pretty clear back then, coz I hadn't discovered booze/smoke until a couple of yrs later and then most of my pay went to that and saving for a car. Ah, memories...

Had to think about this one.  The 60's and 70's were very kind to me.  As closely as I can pin it down, I was in Los Angeles serving as the "musical director" in a band whose leader I had worked for back in St. Louis.  You know the story.  Big plans, big promises but no money, no gigs.  Our big showcase gig got permanently pre-empted by the 9 month run of the Rocky Horror Show at the Roxy.  I did accidentally rub elbows with some cool people, but mostly it was a living hell.  On Thanksgiving I headed back to St. Louis, spent a few months there and headed off to Chicago. 

I had to really think about the timing on this until I remembered that Barry White was breaking big, as in inescapable.

On 6/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, LefThanDed said:

Probably starting a week at Long Beach, NC.  My parents were totally sucked into the Watergate hearings and my 7th grade self decided Elton John's Caribou sucked. And then I discovered Pachinko!

(Nixon resigned in August and I did not return to Long Beach for over 30 years)

20210621_211006.jpg

Ahhhh, yes. Way back when what is now an overbuilt, crowded vacay destination called "Oak Island" was a sleepy beach NC town called by its original name. I take it that you remember your folks getting groceries at the little Red & White and playing at the old school two-dimensional miniature golf joint? 

mmm, July 1974. 13 years old. Freshly relocated to Billings, Montana from New Jersey. I90 was not built yet. two lane at 45mph with a uhaul on the trailerball.

It sucked. integration did not go well with the local fauna. great trout fishing thou.

14 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

Living in Rogers Park in Chicago…2nd grader at St. Ignatius.  Already starting on violin lessons.  Riding around the block on a huffy bike. 

Aaah, Rogers Park.  1977-78.  Near Clark & Estes, later on Howard.  Last stop before rehab.

Archived