Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 79 Sunburst - looks nice - but I don't know much about them...

Looks like mine (Serial no 9 0888).

That is what these guitars are worth nowadays. 

Try to find an old Di Marzio pick up, or put in a Gravelin Schlabotnik set. 

Gabe 😀

Very fine guitars and IMHO the best Hamer guitar model. I owned 2 1979s and enjoyed them both.  The necks tend to be slimmer than some prefer................the description is saying this one is not.................the first one I owned had a slimmer neck but not a pencil and the later 79 had the 3 piece neck as does this one and it WAS fuller.................like a full C shape let's say. Tops though beautiful on some of these guitars are a veneer not a thick maple top like on later Sunbursts. Not everyone loves DiMarzio pickups but it's what they came with, powerful pickups that sounded great to my ears. I  thought they worked well with these guitars which are essentially all mahogany except for that thin veneer maple top. Both of mine  were decent weight 8.5 or so, the later 79 I owned was a tad lighter. The tuners, Grover "BULLSEYES" or "SMOOTHBACKS" did their job well on mine, I had no problems with tuning and these were old well used guitars when i got them. The case's w/o a guitar in them already are near impossible to find with these early guitars. I had one later issued Hamer case and the other late 79 had its original....................the later Hamer case was built better and offered more protection. Sure the experts here can offer more.....................I'm no expert by a long shot but I did own these 2 fine guitars I speak of. I always did want a "Natural" finished Sunburst that was Bound and Crowned but none were around when I was looking so I bought the 2 Black 1979 Hamer Sunbursts as this was the guitar played  by one of my favorite guitar players Martin Barre of Jethro Tull.  Here are the one's I owned, the first one I bought had the Kahler..............not a uncommon mod back in the day when they were popular, I would like to have wished it away but after I realized the rest of the guitar was so good I got over that quickly. The other 79 on the right was stock except a DiMarzio Super Distortion was fitted in the bridge position.  HERE: TUGhB1d.jpg

That is a stellar example, and can easily be brought back to original spec.  It’s a ‘79 too…my favorite!

9 minutes ago, The Shark said:

Glad I didn't open this thread until it was "too late".  I wouldn't have haggled at that price.

But it is still available, isn’t it?

Nope i didn’t - snoozed a bit doing learning about them and stuff :) nil desparandum. 

I’ve never had a Hamer pre 1985 and should probably do it at some point.

happy for any vetted prospects to be pointed in my direction!

Interesting how the center beam of the neck is off-center, you can see this in the shot of the serial on the back of the headstock, where the open-book shape is carved. Also noticeable in the shot of the back of the neck at the joint. Never seen that before. 

It looks to me like the centre beam being off centre is an illusion. If you look at the close up of the serial no. it looks like the join is between the 4 and the 2, which would be straight. There is an unusual streak of lighter mahogany running through the neck I think, causing it to look odd, as the centre beam is cut from the same block but reversed (I think that's how they did it) to increase neck stability. 

Archived