Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What did I just Buy? Mirage ID needed

I was talking Hamers with a local guitar dealer yesterday and two things came up-my favorite color, vintage orange, and favorite model-the maple top Mirage. I owned I Kool Blue one that I sold on this board about 17-18 years ago. Then today, this popped up used at Daves:

https://davesguitar.com/products/hamer/mirage-maple-top-96/

I couldn't resist the color, price and weight (7.8 pounds) 

However, I don't recall ever seeing one with a H-S-S configuration.  Any thoughts on this?

Much obliged. 

You bought my old custom-ordered Mirage I.
It was ordered by a Kamman Sales Rep for himself, likely one of a kind as most Mirage I models don't have quilted maple tops or a bridge humbucker.

You stole it, by the way.  Good job!

DSC_1365.jpg

11 minutes ago, hamersandstrats said:

Nice. I've been waiting for a vintage orange Special FM or Studio to pop up for a while now. This is way cooler.  Do you remember what the pickups were?  

Yes, I agree. WAY nicer.
No idea about the pickups. I didn't change anything or even check to see what they were,

I normally detest gold hardware but on that color I think it works. 

So…. Dibs….?

1 hour ago, Travis said:

I normally detest gold hardware but on that color I think it works. 

So…. Dibs….?

Ha! That was another conversation I was having in the guitar store yesterday. I agree not looks fine here, as it did on a vintage S I had that was orangey in color too. Its the gold humbucker covers on a guitar that are really hit or miss, exceptions being white or black Les Paul customs.

Congrats!...............................that is beautiful, and rare according to KIz, and he would know having ownership at one point. Love the color and that has a great looking top. VERY nice!  In that condition........................you stole that guitar.🙂

Any chance Terry McInturff was involved in the design?  I see some Empress in that one.

39 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Any chance Terry McInturff was involved in the design?  I see some Empress in that one.

He was involved in some manner, but the body design is an inbound Jeff Watson model shape.  As Terry stated below, most of his design ideas were scrapped:

Here's a recent quote from Terry McInturff:

"I was involved with the Mirage, but not (as I recall, that was thousands of guitars ago) the Eclipse.

Im afraid that I cannot claim credit for that guitar's (Mirage) design, as it finally came to pass. That guitar was my first assignment as part of the design team...but due to manufacturing/cost matters what I proposed was judged to be too costly and problematic to produce. No critism to my friends at Hamer for that...re-designing the basic neck and headstock, among other things, is a fairly big deal.

The only aspects that I proposed...that survived "the cut"..were the Koa top, scale length, body dimensions, and the control layout. I THINK that the body shape was Jol's "Jeff Watson". Jol is such a great talent. I have much respect for him. He was a great guy to work for.”

Archived