Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Drum fills and solos: a clickbait list that's actually somewhat interesting

I actually made it all the way through this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/25-drum-solos-fills-breaks-and-intros-that-everyone-should-know/ss-BB1frIZ8?li=BBnbfcL#image=19

Among the revelations:

Peart gets cited three times, Moon and Bonham twice

"Sedation Deprivation" by some band I've never heard of called Nerve

Motorhead's "Overkill" (Phil Taylor)

The execrable "In the Air Tonight" (listed at #14)

Now, almost evvabody is gonna have their own favorites or alternatives. While Cream's "Toad" is at #4, I personally like the live version of "N.S.U." on Live Cream. The fill at the 9:37 mark is arguably the most powerful in rock music history...or at least, in Ginger Baker's legacy, and he backs it up 7 seconds later with a second run.

And Motohead's "Death or Glory" should be on there (MIkkey Dee). There's the Wehrmacht goose step backing up a brief bass solo, but check out the riff at the 3:02 mark---possibly the loudest lick ever, and ranks alongside the "N.S.U." lick for potency as well. "Death or Glory" is a definitive Motorhead song though not the most popular (YMMV)

"Pictures of Home", Deep Purple. The intro is amazing, really swinging. The snare roll before the outro solo is sublime.

"Over the Mountain", Ozzy. The drums are killer on the whole song, but the intro sets the tone.

Honorable mention: Tom-Tom roll before the last chorus of, “Fat Bottomed Girls.” It really propels a somewhat plodding rhythm  
forward. 

I really like the snare fill by Max Weinberg on Springsteen’’s “Prove It All Night”.

t occurs right before the guitar solo and sets it up nicely….the snare roll goes from  a fast roll to a double time roll to a triple or quadruple time roll which dovetails into Bruce’s nasty Tele solo. I still get goosebumps on that one.

While not the most technical fill, I always love Frank Beard in the beginning of ZZ Top's La Grange, when BFGs guitar goes from stun to kill.

I'm not sure how I feel about calling Nick Mason an "Above-Average Rock drummer."

On that list, the Soul Sacrifice live drum solo is probably what I consider the epitome of an insane live drum solo. It's not exactly technically insane, and Michael Shrieve himself has said that it's not a very musically advanced solo (he was TWENTY at the time). But the way it ebs and flows, slows down, and all of that. And then at the end just picks up and goes right back into the song. That's just magical. Everyone on stage was probably high as a kite but it still came right back.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:47 PM, RobB said:

"Over the Mountain", Ozzy. The drums are killer on the whole song, but the intro sets the tone.

I realize it's metal/hard rock, but that intro really is insane in a good way, regardless of genre.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, RobB said:

"Pictures of Home", Deep Purple. The intro is amazing, really swinging. The snare roll before the outro solo is sublime.

Honorable mention: Tom-Tom roll before the last chorus of, “Fat Bottomed Girls.” It really propels a somewhat plodding rhythm  
forward. 

You have an exquisite taste in drum fills.

Archived