Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sooooo this is about to go down!!!

38 minutes ago, Texsunburst59 said:

He may not own ANY PRS, Gibson, Taylor, Martin, Tom A, Suhr, guitars etc.......................

This might be the only nice guitar he has to use as "Psych Bait".

There have been quite a few guys who've done the same exact thing on my local CL.

I e-mailed every single person posting these type of ads, and NEVER EVER got a response back.

I know most all the buyers like me in the area, and when I've talked to them, they all tried to contact the guy/guys trying to sell these

too good to be true deals.

If they're NEVER EVER going to respond, they don't really need to own any of those guitars.
If I have no intention of responding, I could say that I have a dozen PRS Private Stocks available for $500 each.  I certainly wouldn't look to make prospective buyers "salivate" with a photo of a fucking Hamer Studio. 
Your premise doesn't hold water.

What's more likely is that the seller is selling a guitar for dirt cheap and doesn't want to be lowballed further or answer questions about the guitar's weight or acoustic voice.
There's also the possibility that people are inept when it comes to the lost art of communication - electronically and otherwise.
Or these "Psych Bait" guitars sold 5 minutes after the ad went up and the sellers don't care about responding to everyone to tell them that they were too late.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kizanski said:

If they're NEVER EVER going to respond, they don't really need to own any of those guitars.
If I have no intention of responding, I could say that I have a dozen PRS Private Stocks available for $500 each.  I certainly wouldn't look to make prospective buyers "salivate" with a photo of a fucking Hamer Studio. 
Your premise doesn't hold water.

What's more likely is that the seller is selling a guitar for dirt cheap and doesn't want to be lowballed further or answer questions about the guitar's weight or acoustic voice.
There's also the possibility that people are inept when it comes to the lost art of communication - electronically and otherwise.
Or these "Psych Bait" guitars sold 5 minutes after the ad went up and the sellers don't care about responding to everyone to tell them that they were too late.

You can’t sell a guitar without answering a question about the Guitar’s acoustic voice. I think that’s actually one of the commandments. “Honor thy buyer’s query on acoustic voice”….

22 minutes ago, Travis said:

You can’t sell a guitar without answering a question about the Guitar’s acoustic voice. I think that’s actually one of the commandments. “Honor thy buyer’s query on acoustic voice”….

Don't forget the neck measurements and string action.  

He should have posted it for $350.  Someone would have bit.  Still all the same if I was local I'd inquire about it.  Does no one live in Austin?

On 7/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, hunterdawg said:

And for what it’s worth.... 

Austin is a total shit show these days. 
we are down to just a couple “ real” guitar shops now. 
yeah, we have 3 guitar centers....

the “ music scene“ is full of frat boys doing shots and homeless people talking shit to you.  
or worse yet, throwing shit at you. 
millions of people here now. 
I’ll take advantage of a deal when I find them. 

I gave up and moved away at the end of 2015.  I still go back and see my friends regularly and even do a show there every now and again still, but I don't miss the day to day of living in modern day Austin. 

On 7/6/2021 at 10:25 PM, hunterdawg said:

the “ music scene“ is full of frat boys doing shots and homeless people talking shit to you.  

Damn, and I was thinking about moving to Texas

On 7/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, crunchee said:

Too many guitar players in Austin for that to sit around for long.  Plus, West Lake Hills is close to downtown Austin too.  Sumpthin' ain't right.  <_<

99% of the guitar players in Austin don't have a clue about Hamer guitars. 

No doubt and it's getting worse by the day. I avoid playing in downtown Austin like the plague but I will say that the gigs are a plenty out in the Hill Country and surrounding areas. Since coming out of Covid, my calendar is filling up rapidly. 

12 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

No doubt and it's getting worse by the day. I avoid playing in downtown Austin like the plague but I will say that the gigs are a plenty out in the Hill Country and surrounding areas. Since coming out of Covid, my calendar is filling up rapidly. 

Great music venues remind me of a great quote of Yogi Berra.  "That place is so busy, nobody ever goes there anymore".   We humans are known for ruining a good thing.

31 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

There may not be a single venue I used to play left downtown anymore.  I think Dirty Dog was the last one.  

On 7/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, Cary said:

“Dad gifted this to me…”

IF this is real (and the fact it’s still listed for sale makes me doubt that), dad should have pulled out…

I thought the same thing.

Also, the use of "gifted" as a verb indicates a strong probability that the seller is from a younger generation.  I've observed that the gift-as-a-verb aberration seemed to proliferate the speech of college-aged adults beginning around the time members of the millennial generation became the dominant group on campus.  Though it's allowed under the rules of standard English and its use (context-specific) dates back 300 or so years, I've heard it described as an example of affected speech.  It certainly sounds awkward to my ears. Perhaps LucSulla has an enlightened view on the matter. 

Of course, olde pharts like me more often prefer the traditional and correct verb form, "give/gave/given".  YMMV.  Now, get off my lawn!

27 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Also, the use of "gifted" as a verb indicates a strong probability that the seller is from a younger generation.  I've observed that the gift-as-a-verb aberration seemed to proliferate the speech of college-aged adults beginning around the time members of the millennial generation became the dominant group on campus.  Though it's allowed under the rules of standard English and its use (context-specific) dates back 300 or so years, I've heard it described as an example of affected speech.  It certainly sounds awkward to my ears. Perhaps LucSulla has an enlightened view on the matter. 

Of course, olde pharts like me more often prefer the traditional and correct verb form, "give/gave/given".  YMMV.  Now, get off my lawn!

You lost me on, "verb."

Maybe I'm naive, but if the seller doesn't actually have possession the item being advertised, what's the purpose of an ad like this?

Unless he really does have it and it's stolen, I suppose that's a possibility.

33 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

You lost me on, "verb."

I will reiterate it for you.

Reverb

8 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Since we're on that topic:  :rolleyes: :ph34r:

What kills me is the recent affectation of adverbs as nouns, such as 'Freshly' (the name of a food delivery-by-mail company, no damn affiliation here!)...there's other examples, but that's the one that comes to my mind.  And not that overused phrase 'top of mind', which doesn't make sense to an olde phart like me.  Ebay's lately been using the phrase 'from OG to just dropped' to sell stuff in their web screen margin advertisements...I know what 'just dropped' means, as that used to be music industry slang for a new release, but I had to look up 'OG' (it means 'Original Gangsta', which is the general equivalent to the term 'Old School').  There's a Wendy's near where I live with a Wendy's corporate-originated sign advertising chicken 'Nuggs', in the style of being too 'hip' and/or damn lazy to finish saying a complete word.  WTF is a 'Nugg'?  And do I really want to know?  Damn hipsters, get off my lawn indeed!  

A week later and it’s still there.   All the telltale signs of a “Psych!” listing that were there last Monday night.  

2BA14448-BFE3-4EE4-BCC7-A5D2EB4C5849.png

Yeah, Austin really went downhill when they started building all those high rises. When I was a young'un, Austin wasn't much bigger than Amarillo and had a cool, quaint feel, a really laid back groove. We used to drive down there and score a pound of the mean green for $60 or $70 in the '60s. Good times and Jax beer.

1 hour ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

But I'm lost when it comes to Nouns

Personally, I get my thing in action.  Verb; that's what's happening.

45 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Personally, I get my thing in action.  Verb; that's what's happening.

Television? The word is half Greek, half Latin. No good can come of it.

C. P. Scott

On 7/12/2021 at 9:58 PM, cmatthes said:

A week later and it’s still there.   All the telltale signs of a “Psych!” listing that were there last Monday night.  

2BA14448-BFE3-4EE4-BCC7-A5D2EB4C5849.png

OP stated "this is about to go down." WTF happened? Sounds like nothing went down.

Somebody pissed him off and now he ain't talking.

My guess?:

1 hour ago, gwayne said:

....nothing went down.

...and the listing is still active.

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-old-electric-guitar/7343601363.html

Maybe he's using the ad to lure potential buyers into his secret underground lair, where he holds them hostage. When he's collected enough victims - er, "potential buyers," he'll be able to fulfill his lifelong dream of making a suit out of the skins of Hamer fans.

"I'm here for the Hamer guitar."

"Say, are you about a size fourteen?"

buffalo-bill-in-the-silence-of-the-lambs.jpg

5 hours ago, Dana_V said:

...and the listing is still active.

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/austin-old-electric-guitar/7343601363.html

Maybe he's using the ad to lure potential buyers into his secret underground lair, where he holds them hostage. When he's collected enough victims - er, "potential buyers," he'll be able to fulfill his lifelong dream of making a suit out of the skins of Hamer fans.

"I'm here for the Hamer guitar."

"Say, are you about a size fourteen?"

buffalo-bill-in-the-silence-of-the-lambs.jpg

image.gif

Archived