Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mirage "customized"

Look at this "beauty".... the modification was surely made by a gifted luthier. The price may surprise you. Absolut no affiliation.

Hamer MIRAGE I Japan https://reverb.com/item/41779569-hamer-mirage-i-japan?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=41779569

Screenshot_20210707-090016_Reverb.jpg

As bad as a Strat's control layout annoys me, this one would flat piss me off. And what's with the plugged holes in the side.

Perhaps a working musician needed a synth guitar with all those knobs and switches.  What else are you going to do?  At one time Hamers were cheaper guitars you could afford to modify compared to those costly Les Pauls and Fender Custom Shop creations. 

There were some Roland-ready Strats made in the 1990s that have the synth pickup built into the pickguard. 

7 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Perhaps a working musician needed a synth guitar with all those knobs and switches.  What else are you going to do?  At one time Hamers were cheaper guitars you could afford to modify compared to those costly Les Pauls and Fender Custom Shop creations. 

There were some Roland-ready Strats made in the 1990s that have the synth pickup built into the pickguard. 

Now don't you go defending this guy, Steve! 😂

The worst Mirage that ever left the factory was that god damn left handed oversized abomination.

It didn’t even sound like a good idea on paper and i wanted to band saw it into pieces on several occasions in the process just to save face.

1 hour ago, mirrorimij said:

The worst Mirage that ever left the factory was that god damn left handed oversized abomination.

It didn’t even sound like a good idea on paper and i wanted to band saw it into pieces on several occasions in the process just to save face.

I like my Mirage (natural maple) and I have thought more than once about buying a Mirage 1 (not the one in this thread...). That said, I can't imagine it would be good if it were enlarged. Just seems like that asymmetrical body style would just start looking lopsided. And left handed would just make it worse. 

1 hour ago, mirrorimij said:

Is there any photographic proof of its existence?  I’ve never seen it…

5 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

I like my Mirage (natural maple)  

Pics!!!  Pics!!!

4 hours ago, Travis said:

Is there any photographic proof of its existence?  I’ve never seen it…

Doubtful.  It was made in New Hartford long after the original series.  I seem to remember it being the butt of a few jokes on the HFC but that has to go back more than 15 years.  1 inch oversized around the entire perimeter of the body. 

I have the G code if anyone has a Fanuc controlled router, a huge slab of koa and little to no sense.

7 hours ago, burningyen said:

I dunno, a Mirage with a Newport outline might be kinda cool.

It was around the time the Newport was getting traction in the market so that may have been part of the thought process.

It was not cool.  I had to do a lot of work on the horns of the Newport to get them to look “right”.  The oversize Mirage was pretty much offset 1” all around.  If a 335 has Mickey Mouse ears this thing had cauliflower ears.  

Archived