Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Last Gig

We're playing a benefit this Sunday afternoon and it looks like it'll be our last. I started with these guys 10 years ago (was out for a bit with a bum wrist) and it's been pretty great, but our singer/harp/creative force has been having health issues lately. Hell, he's 71(!) and one of the most powerful, insightful writers I've ever heard, and warped as f*** so you're always laughing at what comes out of that goofy bastard's mouth. Sharp as a tack mentally, but the years are catching up with him.

I'm going to miss that part of it. I'm going to miss how well we all get along. No egos, no attitudes, no delusions of grandeur, all while being great players - the first band I've been in like that, and probably my last. I mean, how often does that happen?? They're like the brothers you never wanted. I wish I'd appreciated it more while it was happening.

What I won't miss is myself obsessing over getting it right and the stress related to that. We're only doing about an hour for this deal but we haven't played out since October 2019. I know the stuff backwards and forwards and still have a knot in m' belly. I won't miss that.

So, gonna crank 'er up one last time, hoping to keep f'ups to a minimum. It will be interesting.  WhooHoo!

In 40+ years of gigging I have never gone onstage without a knot in my stomach. It's like walking into the unknown every time. Will they like us, will I f up. Then the music begins and I'm proud to be part of it!!

Most of all have fun and take a ton of videos!!! It's the end of an era!!

8 hours ago, hamerhead said:

What I won't miss is myself obsessing over getting it right and the stress related to that. We're only doing about an hour for this deal but we haven't played out since October 2019. I know the stuff backwards and forwards and still have a knot in m' belly. I won't miss that.

So, gonna crank 'er up one last time, hoping to keep f'ups to a minimum. It will be interesting.  WhooHoo!

F- ups and knots in the belly stayed with me (and still do) during my 10 years playing with Splitstream. Really wish I could figure out a way to get past that shit.

8 hours ago, hamerhead said:

I'm going to miss that part of it. I'm going to miss how well we all get along. No egos, no attitudes, no delusions of grandeur, all while being great players - the first band I've been in like that, and probably my last. I mean, how often does that happen?? They're like the brothers you never wanted. I wish I'd appreciated it more while it was happening.

That's my take away from this. Indeed, when does this happen. Coming from a lifelong sports lifestyle, a team life style, this is the most elusive and cherished aspect of a band. I'll let you know when I find that in music. So jealous!

10 hours ago, hamerhead said:

I'm going to miss that part of it. I'm going to miss how well we all get along. No egos, no attitudes, no delusions of grandeur, all while being great players - the first band I've been in like that, and probably my last. I mean, how often does that happen?

Probably just once? With age comes wisdom (so they say). Maybe towards the end of each career we each gravitate to like-minded folks.

Or not.

Sure glad it worked for you! 

On 7/14/2021 at 12:09 PM, hamerhead said:

I'm going to miss how well we all get along. No egos, no attitudes, no delusions of grandeur, all while being great players - the first band I've been in like that, and probably my last. I mean, how often does that happen?? They're like the brothers you never wanted. I wish I'd appreciated it more while it was happening.

We came out of retirement and played our last gig a couple of weeks ago.  For 25 years it was the same story as you.  And for 5 or 6 before that, the bass player and I had been knocking around together in the furry animal clubs.

The gig went by all to quickly after a month of knocking the rust off.  It was a blur.  I'm told we did well.  I've been playing in front of people for over 60 years and I don't think you ever get over that minute or two of "deer in the headlights".

I'll miss that band.  Unfortunately the bassist's health issues will probably keep him sidelined for keeps.  I'm married to the drummer and we managed to defy the "never join a band with a husband and wife in it" curse.  We were having too much fun for that crap.  Enjoy, it's going to whiz by in a hurry.

For your amusement:

DSCN0235 (2).JPG

I told those old f***ers about NSOS, but they don't hear so good anymore.

DSCN0238 (2).JPG

We must have been having fun.

Shishkov IN ACTION!!

DSCN0263 (2).JPG

The Shishkov's maiden voyage went well - nice cut in the mix and played great. And it had to get out at least once.....

And I figured for our last show I'd break out some oldies - the hat and bandana go back 20 years to the goat-ropin' band I was in, the shirt is from the bar (right across the street from here) where I did my 1st gig with this band back in 2011 (it's a little snug now for some reason....).

A little sad to see it end but we have our eyes on recording some of our better covers and some of our singers originals, so we'll see where that goes.

Archived