Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mike Campbell to Sell Heartbreakers & Fleetwood Mac Guitars

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

If he could sell some of his talent I would be jumping in on that sale. 

Campbell and Petty were a friggin' hit making machine. For a long time.

I was always 'meh' regarding Mike Campbell until the band started doing 'Rubbing out a Dream'......I mean....'Running Down a Dream': while the parts aren't difficult, the timing is such that if the drummer tries counting it off it will throw me off every time.

He owns a lot of classic, signature riffs over the past 40 years or so that really define a song. Phenomenal hook writer. I didn't know it was him on Henley's 'Boys of Summer'.

Oh wow! He AND Petty had great collections. I saw Petty and the Heartbreakers live a few times, and I always had freaking binoculars out to SCOPE OUT THEIR GUITARS. They also put on a really great show. I'm still bummed that Petty is gone, especially from something that could have been prevented. But, when you're in a ton of pain, things happen.

I guess he's realized that if he wanted to move a collection, this is a great time to do it. I'll be waiting to see what awesome stuff they put up for sale, not that I will be able to afford any of it.

A lot of savvy collectors are selling off or have been reducing their herds lately.  As we inch closer to the global recession (that was shaping up pre-COVID, and is likely to be a bit worse than 2008-09), a lot of collectors and dealers are trying to maximize their profits and get out of guitar inventory while they can.  After seeing the impact on sales and prices that took a few years to claw back last time, plus the ultimate realization that the Boomer crowd will be downsizing and/or heading to retirement communities and the largest portion of the viable customer base will vanish by the time things rebound again, that’s probably the best move for those guys right now.

2 hours ago, cmatthes said:

A lot of savvy collectors are selling off or have been reducing their herds lately.  As we inch closer to the global recession (that was shaping up pre-COVID, and is likely to be a bit worse than 2008-09), a lot of collectors and dealers are trying to maximize their profits and get out of guitar inventory while they can.  After seeing the impact on sales and prices that took a few years to claw back last time, plus the ultimate realization that the Boomer crowd will be downsizing and/or heading to retirement communities and the largest portion of the viable customer base will vanish by the time things rebound again, that’s probably the best move for those guys right now.

Those thoughts tend to cross my mind as I slowly reduce my collection.

One difference (of many!) between me and a rock star......Their instruments sell for a premium. Me having owned it probably means I sell for a discount. 😬

1 hour ago, django49 said:

Those thoughts tend to cross my mind as I slowly reduce my collection.

One difference (of many!) between me and a rock star......Their instruments sell for a premium. Me having owned it probably means I sell for a discount. 😬

The stars figure they can ASK a premium. Neil Schon is asking $200K for his Don’t Stop Believin’ Les Paul. C’mon, Get real, Neil!

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/vintage-guitars-and-musical-instruments/don-t-stop-believin-1977-gibson-les-paul-black-solid-body-electric-guitar-serial-06-115596/a/7251-38084.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

If Neil can get 200K for a guitar why not.  If your the person spending 200K on that guitar, all I can say is that guitar was made just for you.

^^ cmatthes "that’s probably the best move for those guys right now."^^

14 hours ago, hamerhead said:

I was always 'meh' regarding Mike Campbell until the band started doing 'Rubbing out a Dream'......I mean....'Running Down a Dream': while the parts aren't difficult, the timing is such that if the drummer tries counting it off it will throw me off every time.

And of 1, isn't it?

16 hours ago, topekatj said:

The only way to get me to get that thing is if that fucker gives $250,000 to take it.

Well, maybe I would take it for free.

47 minutes ago, 0054 said:

The only way to get me to get that thing is if that fucker gives $250,000 to take it.

It would be worth it if the rights to the song came with it and then you could smash them both.

That song makes me want to murder.

11 minutes ago, kizanski said:

It would be worth it if the rights to the song came with it and then you could smash them both.

That song makes me want to murder.

Exactly!

Kizanski has to be my twin, this is unreal!

35 minutes ago, 0054 said:

Kizanski has to be my twin, this is unreal!

Most people wouldn't admit that publicly.

34 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

@kizanski for laughs....I got a thirty day ban from Facebook recently for answering, WHAT JINGLE DO YOU ABOLUTELY HATE? and I posted, I want to  smack the person that wrote the 1-877-Kars-for-Kids song. Got flagged for a violent threat even though it was obviously a joke. Now I  can't wish my friends HBDs 'cuz some algorithm or the "judgment" of a random Palo Alto SJW in a cubicle.

30 days in the hole.

See? I am still a rebel!

Oh yeah.. you're living on the edge.  No Facebook?  in-fucking-sane!
BTW, you know your friend is a close one when you go all of the way out of your way to wish them a happy birthday by clicking a button which is automatically presented to you, saving you from the drudgery of having to remember it or write it down somewhere, like on a calendar.
God help you if you have to pick up a phone and ...shudder... call someone.

I'm much more impressed by the fact it's the same LP he used on the solo for "Who's Crying Now", as the tone on that track is better than anything else Neal cut on Escape

But is it worth more than either of his bursts?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Yeah, right.

4 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

And of 4, I'm pretty sure.  That's the way I've always taught it and it seems to work.

I count it like (bold where riff starts)
                              'Let ring........'
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 
                           ^Downbeat where drums come in

On 7/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, dhuber said:

If Neil can get 200K for a guitar why not.  If your the person spending 200K on that guitar, all I can say is that guitar was made just for you.

^^ cmatthes "that’s probably the best move for those guys right now."^^

Let’s put it this way: KK Downing got about that much for one of his red Gibson Vs a couple of years ago. Schon should have NO issue getting that price, if not way more. 

10 minutes ago, devrock said:

Let’s put it this way: KK Downing got about that much for one of his red Gibson Vs a couple of years ago. Schon should have NO issue getting that price, if not way more. 

Yeah, but it’s been modded!  😆

3 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I count it like (bold where riff starts)
                              'Let ring........'
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & | 
                           ^Downbeat where drums come in

I stand dejected.  Thanks!  I have two left feet and they're both white.

Archived