Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA and question 1991 Hamer Max Bass Reverb not associated

There is a 91 Hamer Max For sale on Reverb. Not associated. 

https://reverb.com/item/40948379-rare-usa-hamer-chaparral-max-4-string-bass-quilted-maple-with-original-hardshell-case

I have a question.

Does the description match the pictures below? This was the original description. 

"in excellent, near-mint cosmetic and perfect working condition.
From a collector, stored, detuned in its case, this ultra-rare Hamer is super clean, and shows only light playwear upon close inspection."

https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013525833-Gear-Conditions-and-What-They-Mean

Please let me know.

max 10r.jpg

max 11r.jpg

max 1r.jpg

max 2r.jpg

max 3r.jpg

max 5r.jpg

max 6r.jpg

max 7r.jpg

Whoa.... I could be wrong, but that might be a case of surface checking.  I've heard about guitars shipped in weather below freezing and opened up before it's had a chance to warm up at room temperature. Should be left in the box for a day or two before opening. Don't know how true this is, but heard about a guy who bought a new guitar shipped in the winter, quickly opened the box and case, and watched it instantly turn into a relic as the indoor temperature warmed it up. I've got a 48 year old guitar and the only cracks in the finish are the ones I put on it !! 

BTW, under Gear Conditions,  I would have probably listed it under Very Good.  If you're really goin' for it, maybe bring it to his attention with an offer. You never know, he might go for it.    

Just finish checking, not really a big deal.   The rest of it looks to be solid - not “Mint” by any stretch, but it’s a clean example.   

I’d let my quilt bodied custom-ordered Chap Bass go for half that!

Yes, it looks to me like a case of surface finish cracks from cold weather.  This bass is currently in California, but obviously it was shipped from a colder place at some point.  (This is not exactly stunning detective work... because at the very least, we all know where this bass was made!)

I had a Hamer import shipped to me that looked like this:

jjzb7ea5v6uihfcyb0cq.jpg

seand9ibxxpdzam5ikdp.jpg

I ended up getting a $160 USD partial refund on a total sale price of $315 USD!  What a deal!!  It plays great, though. 

2 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Yes, it looks to me like a case of surface finish cracks from cold weather.  This bass is currently in California, but obviously it was shipped from a colder place at some point.  (This is not exactly stunning detective work... because at the very least, we all know where this bass was made!)

I had a Hamer import shipped to me that looked like this:

jjzb7ea5v6uihfcyb0cq.jpg

seand9ibxxpdzam5ikdp.jpg

I ended up getting a $160 USD partial refund on a total sale price of $315 USD!  What a deal!!  It plays great, though. 

There is a huge difference between a $315 and $2999 instrument dont you think?

Not saying that is not a fine instrument just pointing out the difference in price.

I guess if the seller gave a $1500 refund it would be worth it!?!

4 minutes ago, Ham Rex said:

There is a huge difference between a $315 and $2999 instrument dont you think?

Not saying that is not a fine instrument just pointing out the difference in price.

I guess if the seller gave a $1500 refund it would be worth it!?!

Yes, of course there is a huge difference.  The point is the huge percentage of refund, and so in my opinion, a $1500 refund would make the deal much more attractive.

11 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Just finish checking, not really a big deal.   The rest of it looks to be solid - not “Mint” by any stretch, but it’s a clean example.   

Why not just buy cmatthes' bass instead?  It already has the 50% discount!

That is not mint condition. 

I have a quilt maple Chaparral Bass with a rosewood fretboard and dots.  It sounds good and feels good when it gets played.  So that Chaparral Max should be a wonderful instrument to play, but as others have said about the price, it is ambitious. 

8 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Yes, of course there is a huge difference.  The point is the huge percentage of refund, and so in my opinion, a $1500 refund would make the deal much more attractive.

Why not just buy cmatthes' bass instead?  It already has the 50% discount!

I'm working on it. I've messaged him directly and it sounds awesome! Thanks.

I'm just trying to get people's opinion about how this bass was described and what it actually is.

I personally do not like checked instruments with few exceptions and think a good seller would have described it as such. I guess I should have been more clear in my original post. 

So, should the seller have "Checked Finish"in the description instead of what was described?

He said everyone should expect Checked Finish in all vintage instruments.

"in excellent, near-mint cosmetic and perfect working condition.
From a collector, stored, detuned in its case, this ultra-rare Hamer is super clean, and shows only light playwear upon close inspection."

I have a collection of Hamer Basses and Guitars from a 1979 4 digit crowned and bound dark burst standard to a 1998 natural standard and only one has some checking again not mentioned in the description.

Thanks.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:50 PM, JustKid said:

I personally do not see it as a problem. But I wouldn't call it mint either. On the other hand he provided good pics to explain his understanding of "mint" . 

I took the pictures. It is not posted with these pictures.

• 8 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:27 PM, cmatthes said:

Chris:

I hope someday we can work together on a sale of your Max Bass to me.

I tried to email you but seems I'm blocked.

I guess I should take that as a hint.

If you change your mind and heart.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Martin

I haven't blocked anybody.

Things seemed a bit weird, that's all.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

I haven't blocked anybody.

Things seemed a bit weird, that's all.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I tried to message you and could not get through. 

I'll try again some other time.

I hope you are doing well.

Thanks,

M

Damn, if he’s not interested, I might be!  Post pics!  LOL!

Ham Rex is a very detail oriented Hamer Collector.He has been on me for about a year wanting me to sell my 88 Cruise Bass to him.He would message me every month or so to let me know he was still interested.

i decided I was ready to sell and he received the Cruise yesterday.It was one of the easiest transitions I have ever had selling a Guitar.He is the REAL DEAL when it comes to selling him your prized Hamer.

I would defiantly deal with him again.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:01 AM, lastchild said:

Ham Rex is a very detail oriented Hamer Collector.He has been on me for about a year wanting me to sell my 88 Cruise Bass to him.He would message me every month or so to let me know he was still interested.

i decided I was ready to sell and he received the Cruise yesterday.It was one of the easiest transitions I have ever had selling a Guitar.He is the REAL DEAL when it comes to selling him your prized Hamer.

I would defiantly deal with him again.

LastChild:

I can't thank you enough for selling me your bass, I absolutely love it, but most of all for the kind review and endorsement of me and my love of Hamer Guitars and basses.

I try my best to ensure the seller has payment, a label, I'll even ship a box and packing material if required and that the seller is comfortable selling to me.

You are very polite, patient and excellent to work with as well. You packed the bass excellently and shipped as soon as payment cleared.

Most of all you kept me updated to where we were in the process.

Thank you!

LastChild

On 4/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, Cary said:

Damn, if he’s not interested, I might be!  Post pics!  LOL!

I've been asking cmatthes to consider selling me his custom MAX bass since he posted about it here.

I'm hoping someday he will sell it to me even if it is higher than the price he suggested.

I'm patiently hoping and waiting.

Anyway...

Take care Cary!

16 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

I've been asking cmatthes to consider selling me his custom MAX bass since he posted about it here.

I'm hoping someday he will sell it to me even if it is higher than the price he suggested.

I'm patiently hoping and waiting.

Anyway...

Take care Cary!

You still get first look.  I have far too many things going on right now to focus on that, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, cmatthes said:

You still get first look.  I have far too many things going on right now to focus on that, unfortunately.

I totally understand and am not pushing.

When you have time I'm here.

I respect you and your love of Hamers.

Thank you for your part in putting together such a great book. "The Ulitmate" and this website. What a labor of love!

Take care and be safe.

M

Pictures of said instrument?

11 hours ago, rugby1970 said:

Pictures of said instrument?

That was from 2021...

I removed them because I was close to my limit for photos.

I'll repost a couple in a day or so.

Archived