Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Biggest buncha bull feces I've seen this calendar year

I will say that the local Guitar Centers in the DC area are blowing through inventory, both new and used.  If you see something you like, it might not be there next week.

25 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Hey Nathan, do you ever go to the GC in Fairfax City, up in Kamp Washington?

They move a LOT of stuff quickly. And they were always cool when I came in to get disposed boxes to ship any guitar I just sold online. Just said, wait a minute, I will get a few for you.

Despite the reputation of GuitarGet, that location has some knowledgeable and friendly employees. IMO. Maybe it's because I'm not a wanker kid, but they always let me crank it when I'm in  there, and will pull anything off the walls to "sample", but maybe they think that I have good credit and maybe they like to see the little kids repeating the riff from "Enter Sandman" for attention get stunned by a Les Paul through an EVH amp with all the knobs scrolled to the east.

When I was down in Virginia Beach two months ago, I had a similar great experience with the staff of that GC too. Damn, I almost walked out of there with a handwired AC30 for 1400 bucks. But just wound up leaving with a new Epiphone Hummingbird Masterbuild that the store manager had on his deck at the front of the store, intonating, (cuz it just came in) for a very reasonable price.

With this company,  like most companies, I think the experience we have is with the manager leading good staff.

My .02 cents

That's the main one I go to.

The one in Falls Church seems to get the more boutiquey stuff, I usually manage to stop by there about once every 6 weeks.

I was in there after stopping by Costco, and saw a Fender GT-100 and and GTX-50, both used. Tried the GT-100 and was impressed.  Went home to do some research, decided to try it with the 45-day tryout period, and went back 3 days later. Both of them were gone.

(Spoiler: I ended up getting a GT-200 from a local pickup last week, so I'm good).

I also picked up a green Harley Benton Fusion II HH, which allowed me to sell the black Fusion II HH I had that showed too many fingerprints.

And then when I stopped by again a few days ago, they had a Schecter Banshee C-1 FR-S SLS.  Neck-through and a Floyd Rose 1500, so I decided to sell the Schecter Blackjack C-1 FR-S SLS I was raving about a month ago.

I mean, I don't love the Blackjack any less. If Guitar Center hadn't had the Banshee, the Blackjack would still be my favorite guitar, but the Banshee has the pop-in trem arm, so I don't have to deal with the Blackjack's trem arm cap constantly loosening.

So I guess the Blackjack wasn't the *perfect* guitar for me, but honestly, despite the different name, they are the same guitar with just a different bridge pickup, upgraded tremolo, and neck through.

The Blackjack had a Full Shred pickup, tho, and I really like the tone better than the stock Schecter SuperCharger Mach6, so I'll probably get that swapped out.

And I'll have Jesse, the guitar tech guy at the Fairfax Guitar Center, do it.  He's a really good guy. I also really appreciate the staff at both the Fairfax and Falls Church GCs.

Last year, I was in the Fairfax one, and a Chinese family came in, and one of the guitar guys started helping them using Chinese!  *THAT'S* good service.

Sorry for the novel. This just seemed as good a place as any to talk about my minor upgrade in my #1 guitar.

On 7/18/2021 at 10:37 AM, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said:

I will say that the local Guitar Centers in the DC area are blowing through inventory, both new and used.  If you see something you like, it might not be there next week.

Next week??? Hell, anything decent at my local GC usually doesn't last more than a couple of days. 

Archived