Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: Seymour Duncan Parallel Axis Single Stack Pickup

Hello all,

New to this forum.  I am restoring a 1989 Chaparral to stock config.  Missing now is a single coil SD Parallel Axis Stack pickup.  SD has stopped production due to material shortage....guessing it is the rectangular pole pieces.  In any case, if someone has one (non-logo preferred) and you are willing to sell at a reasonable price, it would allow me to continue without the wait for SD to produce them again (allegedly later this year).   Thanks in advance.

Jon C

Southern California

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, Jon C said:

Hello all,

New to this forum.  I am restoring a 1989 Chaparral to stock config.  Missing now is a single coil SD Parallel Axis Stack pickup.  SD has stopped production due to material shortage....guessing it is the rectangular pole pieces.  In any case, if someone has one (non-logo preferred) and you are willing to sell at a reasonable price, it would allow me to continue without the wait for SD to produce them again (allegedly later this year).   Thanks in advance.

Jon C

Southern California

Where is the chapp picture? 🤦. I wanna see it please😉

On 8/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, pablo said:

Where is the chapp picture? 🤦. I wanna see it please😉

I concur!!! Pics pics pics...

Here's my 1987 Chap custom restore! The wrecked finish on back of neck made it nearly unplayable. There were areas around the body where it looked like a cord melted into the finish.

White rays and Godzilla silhouette fluoresce in Black Light!

I created the graphics!

Steve at SGB Guitars did the awesome work!

facebook.com/SGB.Guitars

HGC 1.jpg

HGC 5.jpg

HGC 6.jpg

HGC 3.jpg

HGC 7.jpg

HGC 9.jpg

20220828_221030.jpg

Edited by Ham Rex
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...

Well better late than never....Chaparral with Parallel Axis.  I just posted looking for a Cal Elite or Custom USA Green Transparent Maple w Boomerangs.  If anyone knows someone who is looking to sell....Please let me know.  Thanks, Jon

image.jpeg.2a80868b6548a167ca7d80503c0e0560.jpeg

image.jpeg.baac3e1dd7cd5d095a9e184d81f5e160.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 7:56 PM, Jon C said:

Well better late than never....Chaparral with Parallel Axis.  I just posted looking for a Cal Elite or Custom USA Green Transparent Maple w Boomerangs.  If anyone knows someone who is looking to sell....Please let me know.  Thanks, Jon

What a beautiful guitar!

I find it very interesting that 99% of Hamer owners have beautiful homes and antique furniture or at least great taste in furniture. 

I'm one of the 1% that doesn't. 

Well, that is quite an interesting theory, Rex.   I know no other guitar players personally who own a Hamer and therefore cannot confirm or deny!  We have some antiques handed down from my wife's parents family.  One of the items was a 1962 Gibson Byrdland (Florentine cut) that a relative of my wife had and hardly played.  Original case.   My wife doesn't play guitar but somehow that one is "hers".  I was "allowed" to use it on a recording session some years back.  Just have to make due with the Hamers.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 6:20 PM, Jon C said:

Well, that is quite an interesting theory, Rex.   I know no other guitar players personally who own a Hamer and therefore cannot confirm or deny!  We have some antiques handed down from my wife's parents family.  One of the items was a 1962 Gibson Byrdland (Florentine cut) that a relative of my wife had and hardly played.  Original case.   My wife doesn't play guitar but somehow that one is "hers".  I was "allowed" to use it on a recording session some years back.  Just have to make due with the Hamers.

I always look at the backdrop when looking at guitars and basses for sale including Reverb and eBay when photographed in homes not businesses. 

Please post some pics of "your wife's" Gibson. Just joking about the quotes. Sherry claimed a couple of my Hamers and Rifles and cannot sell them... They're hers! But I can use them. lol

Beautiful home you have and awesome Hamer! Sustainiac Chaparral Iridescent with Boomers... so sweet!

Just sharing my 89 Sustainiac and 89 Cali Glued Bound and Boomered. I though you might like to see them.

20220831_221610.jpg

20220208_002507.jpg

Edited by Ham Rex
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 10:56 AM, Dave Scepter said:

Great band name "Led-Zilla" 🤘😝🤘

Adopted the Name LED-Zilla for the guitar so far... Thank You! 

Will work towards band name!

Edited by Ham Rex
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ham Rex said:

I always look at the backdrop when looking at guitars and basses for sale including Reverb and eBay when photographed in homes not businesses. 

Please post some pics of "your wife's" Gibson. Just joking about the quotes. Sherry claimed a couple of my Hamers and Rifles and cannot sell them... They're hers! But I can use them. lol

Beautiful home you have and awesome Hamer! Sustainiac Chaparral Iridescent with Boomers... so sweet!

Just sharing my 89 Sustainiac and 89 Cali Glued Bound and Boomered. I though you might like to see them.

20220831_221610.jpg

20220208_002507.jpgInsert

Wow....great Hamers.  You really captured the iridescence on the Cali.   That is not easy to do.  So it has a set neck?  Not very common.  The guy I bought the iridescent Chap from told me after the purchase that he had a Cali Elite/Boomers with the same finish he was "thinking" of selling.  Honestly, if given the choice at the time, I would have bought the Cali.    Tell me about the OBL's.  I know Hamer used them but I have never heard them live.  How do they compare to SD's and Dimarzios?   I will have to sneak the Byrdland out of her office at some point and take some pics to share.  If you don't hear from me in a week or two it will mean she caught me, killed me, and disposed of my body.  You can always ask her directly about the guitar......if you DARE!  :<)  We can talk rifles, as well.  Trying to upload my Amber Cali....

Hamer Pic 1.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/31/2022 at 11:05 PM, Jon C said:

Wow....great Hamers.  You really captured the iridescence on the Cali.   That is not easy to do.  So it has a set neck?  Not very common.  The guy I bought the iridescent Chap from told me after the purchase that he had a Cali Elite/Boomers with the same finish he was "thinking" of selling.  Honestly, if given the choice at the time, I would have bought the Cali.    Tell me about the OBL's.  I know Hamer used them but I have never heard them live.  How do they compare to SD's and Dimarzios?   I will have to sneak the Byrdland out of her office at some point and take some pics to share.  If you don't hear from me in a week or two it will mean she caught me, killed me, and disposed of my body.  You can always ask her directly about the guitar......if you DARE!  :<)  We can talk rifles, as well.  Trying to upload my Amber Cali....

Hamer Pic 1.jpg

That's a beautiful FM body Cali.

The stock pickups in the Sustainiac were Hamer pickups. I like the tone of OBLs on the Chaps and SDs on my archtops, Cali and Standards. Not a fan of Dimarzio they're too thin sounding for me. It is just my opinion.

Thanks to you I'm going to pickup a set of the Parallel Axis and try them in the Sustainiac.

For my Standard I put aside the Dimarzios and put in a Zebra 59 neck and took two opposite Zebra JB pickups, disassembled and put together a black and a Cream Bridge JB. I used a emery cloth to remove the SD name.

SD JB Zebra.jpg

SD reverse Zebra.jpg

20220901_152241.jpg

Cream SD.jpg

Edited by Ham Rex

How about a full shot of the Standard with the new PU's.   The emery cloth did a good job on the logo removal.  Can't tell at all.  Will be stealing that idea.....BTW:  I bought the Amber Cali from a guy in Canada.  It ended up shipping to Kentucky for some reason (customs clearance?), back to Canada, then home to S California....in a boxed gig bag.  Was STILL IN TUNE when I unpacked it.  Hamers are GREAT!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon C said:

How about a full shot of the Standard with the new PU's.   The emery cloth did a good job on the logo removal.  Can't tell at all.  Will be stealing that idea.....BTW:  I bought the Amber Cali from a guy in Canada.  It ended up shipping to Kentucky for some reason (customs clearance?), back to Canada, then home to S California....in a boxed gig bag.  Was STILL IN TUNE when I unpacked it.  Hamers are GREAT!

That's an amazing trip for a guitar and I'm surprised it wasn't damaged let alone in tune!

I love Hamers as well!

They're all I play and collect outside my 1st bass a second hand Carvin from GC. It has a RADAR SN 73137.

79 Hamer SN 0166 Standard 2.jpg

20220731_160128.jpg

20220904_141233.jpg

Great looking guitars!  I, too, have some Carvins.  I collected DC's and AC's that either had solid Koa bodies or flamed Koa top caps.  I still love them and the sound is unique.   Necks were always right on.   Surprised they went out of business.  I did have issues on a couple where the clear coat finish became clouded around the edges.....they closed before it showed up, but they probably would have fixed them for me at no-charge.  How do you like the humbucker on the bass?

• 6 months later...
On 8/17/2022 at 4:56 AM, Jon C said:

If you ever consider selling this beast, please let me know!