Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sammy Hagar and The Circle 7/18/21

Just got back from seeing Sammy and the Circle in Aurora at Riveredge. Weather was perfect for an outdoor show. Wife got the tickets for my birthday tomorrow. First big live show I’ve seen since 2019. Sammy still sounds like Sammy. I hope I’m that energetic when I’m in my 70’s. Good mix of Sammy’s solo material and Van Halen songs. 

Circle Set List

Good enough
Poundcake
One way to rock
Heavy Metal
Three lock box 
Best of Both Worlds
Finish What Ya Started
Your Love is Driving Me Crazy
Right Now
Why Can’t This Be Love
Rock and Roll
I Can’t Drive 55
Mas Tequila
Heroes
Affirmation
Hey Hey

59943D64-4CD4-4812-A9AB-5022126B8B4C.jpeg

1105D4F0-1BD2-4433-99AC-A8DA8ABCE21C.jpeg

C2F14B60-DEF0-4AE3-A400-C160C70B70B8.jpeg

We got good tickets for 2020 when the tour was going to be Sammy Hagar and The Circle / Whitesnake / Nightranger.  Then Whitesnake dropped out with no replacement.  They were in the budget, so why were they not replaced?  The whole tour got cancelled. 

@Travis, you picked a good show to end a dry spell of concerts. 

4 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

We got good tickets for 2020 when the tour was going to be Sammy Hagar and The Circle / Whitesnake / Nightranger.  Then Whitesnake dropped out with no replacement.  They were in the budget, so why were they not replaced?  The whole tour got cancelled. 

@Travis, you picked a good show to end a dry spell of concerts. 

Yeah, I was supposed to see that show last year, too. And yes, this was a great start to the return of live music. 

13 hours ago, Travis said:

Just got back from seeing Sammy and the Circle in Aurora at Riveredge. Weather was perfect for an outdoor show. Wife got the tickets for my birthday tomorrow. First big live show I’ve seen since 2019. Sammy still sounds like Sammy. I hope I’m that energetic when I’m in my 70’s. Good mix of Sammy’s solo material and Van Halen songs. 

Circle Set List

Good enough
Poundcake
One way to rock
Heavy Metal
Three lock box 
Best of Both Worlds
Finish What Ya Started
Your Love is Driving Me Crazy
Right Now
Why Can’t This Be Love
Rock and Roll
I Can’t Drive 55
Mas Tequila
Heroes
Affirmation
Hey Hey

Happy Birthday, Travis!

8 minutes ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Happy Birthday, Travis!

1 minute ago, specialk said:

HBD, sir!

Thank you, both!

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Happy Your Birthday, @Travis!

35 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Happy Birthday Travis. 

Vic is one of the most killer guitar players out there. 

Thanks, guys!

And Vic is definitely a talented guy. I find I really enjoyed his playing on Sammy’s solo stuff and the Waboritas songs he originally contributed to. It was a little difficult for me to get into his interpretations of Eddie’s solos on the VH songs just cuz no matter how good someone is, it’s still not Eddie. 

56 minutes ago, Travis said:

Thanks, guys!

And Vic is definitely a talented guy. I find I really enjoyed his playing on Sammy’s solo stuff and the Waboritas songs he originally contributed to. It was a little difficult for me to get into his interpretations of Eddie’s solos on the VH songs just cuz no matter how good someone is, it’s still not Eddie. 

I remember the first tour after the keyboard player exited the band. Vic arranged the piano parts on Right Now for guitar, he was playing it while Sammy told the story behind the song and when they launched into it he just killed it. I'd have to go back and see how much actually played on the 2nd and 3rd album, the first album was done before Sammy assembled the Waboritas. I miss that era of the band. 

Actual Show: I was there. ;) 

21 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

At the least the Marshalls have not been replaced by a (Line 6) Pod!

Just because you see Marshall doesn't mean you aren't hearing a Pod. 🤣

main-qimg-2d55d36e6847d2ef3d7ba1c28677b67f.jpeg

2 hours ago, Stike said:

Good point, but lots of bands that use these walls of extra Marshall shells have at least one legitimate cab in there somewhere.

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

Or sometimes an iPad. **cough** Steel Panther**cough*cough**

That just kicked all kinds of ass. Two thoughts:

EVH cantankerously said in an interview when being questioned about replacing Mikey with Wolfgang years back that he, EVH, had to teach Mike his bass parts many times.

Yeah.....OK, Eddie.....riiiiiight.

Secondly, Vic Johnson is my new favorite guitar player.

It's pretty obvious they play to a click and a lot of backing vocals are recorded. The guitar playing for the most part has always seemed live to me though and his Amplifier Firebox running direct sounds really good.

A gainy sound is not that hard to replicate, and the technology keeps getting better. Vic has used for a long time a Bray Head that has been in a few different headshells. Sammy’s Red Voodoo’s were slightly modded and gain down a touch. 

The Blue Voodoo’s were not bad amps, if you turn the gain down. If anyone has one, do me a favor and try it with a 12at7 in V1. That lower gain tube really lets you used the gain knob and not turn your sound into a box of angry bees. Unless you like that sound then forget I mentioned it. 

Just now, Ed Rechts said:

Satchel plays live to track, and Ralph sings live to track.

The drummer in that band is doing double/triple duty to keep it all in line.

Did you guys see that "Lexi" the bass player quit last week?

I did. His schtick was pretty goddamn funny.

Last time I saw them the singer from the local Motley Crue tribute got pulled onstage and they did part of Shout At The Devil. He was telling a friend of mine that the guitar and bass are direct and they all use in ears so the only thing he could hear onstage was drums and the mains bouncing off the back wall, he still sounded better than Vince. 🤣

23 hours ago, Stike said:

He was telling a friend of mine that the guitar and bass are direct and they all use in ears so the only thing he could hear onstage was drums and the mains bouncing off the back wall

IMO that's the only way to fly. Been going direct (via Fractal) with IEMs for more than a decade, only drums making noise on stage. No gig hangovers and no fighting the other players for sonic space/volume. Plus the crowd on every side gets the same sweet, even mix.  Winner winner chicken dinner.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, Stike said:

A really brilliant artist would have those built of plexi to spark the dialog of humanity's struggle with honesty. Isn't the point to entertain people and, if you can, prod them into thinking?

17 hours ago, Menehune said:

A really brilliant artist would have those built of plexi to spark the dialog of humanity's struggle with honesty.

Or maybe clothes dryers! Yeah that's the ticket… 😄

Archived