Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC... HDJ... Robby Steinhardt

DaveH

There is a 2015 documentary called Miracles Out Of Nowhere that gives the history of Kansas.  All the original members participated together.  It appeared they all stayed friends. 

Robby Steinhardt was the talented guy the others looked up to and wanted to play with. 

That IS sad, such a talented guy........................ I saw Kansas many times through the years and they always put on a great show....................[ In fact I just got back tonight after spending 7 days in Wichita visiting my daughter who moved down there last year.] I think Steve Walsh had one of the best voices in rock and he was a excellent keyboard player. All those guys were great. RIP ROBBIE.

My first colosseum concert was Kansas in '77, so excellent. Robbie really delivered the goods, I still remember. They were all so fine, Dave Hope certainly influenced my approach to bass. The documentary was really well done. 

RS was the band member who used to bellow "Good evening and welcome to Kansas!" onstage as well as (IIRC) "Who says you can't rock and roll if you're fifty?!?" Might have upped to it "sixty" before he retired.

Tremendous live band and a rarity in that back in the day they were an American progressive rock band that could hold their own against the British bands that dominated that genre.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, Ed Rechts said:

I will also add, for the Christians (or whoever is interested) on this board, Kerry Livgren's book "Seeds Of Change" is fundamental reading about his journey to Christ and explains much of the lyrics behind Kansas songs.

Great summer reading.

I read that book when I was a Christian. We met him when he came out with the album of the same name with Dio and other guests. He claimed his veiled lyrics on that album, such as, "Mask of the Great Deceiver," featuring Dio made his colleagues inquire about his new-found-faith / his witness. My wife and I, then girlfriend, were at a local Christian radio station for an interview with him late night after one of his last Kansas concerts (IIRC) in '81, maybe '82 at the Lakeland Civic Center. His lyrics were always enchanting (during Kansas) with a lot of mysticism involved. I loved that shit and still do. He (was) a very insightful guy. He discussed that in his book but the second half of the book was nothing but a long shopping list about other bands and what he thought of them and possibly their beliefs / occult novelties (slant). He named pretty much every band out there from Van Halen to Led Zeppelin and around the bend to Judas Priest of course. He even said PF was nothing but a bunch of weird noises and said they weren't really musicians even though this was a few years after The Wall and years after DSotM. So he lost some cred with me there and thus, pretty much his opinions of the other bands helped form this calloused heart of mine. This was back in the "backward masking" days where scare tactics were rampant to try to convert the masses, End Times movies, etc. Lots of misinformation about AIDs coming from the Jim Baker / Tammy Faye camp. I could go on and on but I know I'm treading on thin ice now and don't want to get this thread locked down. And, I mean no disrespect toward anyone. This is just my experience I'm relaying. 

He was a huge Nordic guy to meet in person though. 

Back on track: Kansas was one of the first concerts I crashed at the Lakeland Civic Center. Styx opened up for them for the Crystal Ball tour. Kansas was on the Dust in the Wind tour. Kerry played a cherry 335 which I thought at the time was just way uncool. But, the fiddle player, Robbie Steinhardt, was way cool. And since I was into classical guitar, the "guy" who had his own "little stage" on the stage, Rich Williams, was really cool too and I thought a better musician than Kerry. But, if you are a lyricist, there's no denying that that is mastered by Kerry. 

RIP Robbie, sorry I never paid for your show. But so glad I got to see it. One of my fondest memories of the impressionable years.  

Iconic bassist Paul Goddard of the Atlanta Rhythm Section was a huge Kansas fan (and a fan of the original progressive rock genre). He played on Seeds of Change, even though he had proclaimed himself to be an atheist. 

12 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Iconic bassist Paul Goddard of the Atlanta Rhythm Section was a huge Kansas fan (and a fan of the original progressive rock genre). He played on Seeds of Change, even though he had proclaimed himself to be an atheist. 

Paul Goddard comes into play at 3:40.  The great Tim Wilson.

My first legit concert was Kansas and Thin Lizzy in El Paso, 1978. The very concert where the boy was blinded in the car accident. 
The way I remember, it was an auditorium that held about 6,000 but with the floor and every nook and cranny they were way over capacity. Excited crowd, perhaps a bit unruly when the show was over. It is a highlight in all my years of concert going. I loved Thin Lizzy but something incredible happened when Kansas took the stage. I swear I kind of went into a hypnotic state when they played Journey From Mariabronn. 
Amazing amazing experience! Thanks to Robby and the whole band. You left a lifelong impression on this 14 year old kid. 

Archived