Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Ernie Ball Music Man "Swiss Cheese" Caprice bass

No affiliation.

"There are small holes/indentions in finish. Does not go down to the wood, they are very small. (Please see photos)  I am not sure how they got there or what they are from.  I bought the bass with them there.  Owner I bought if from said it may have been a factory defect in the finish."

Does anybody know what on Earth could have caused these holes?

https://reverb.com/item/42289979-ernie-ball-music-man-caprice-bass-2019-ivory-white

mybicrxjyywzp4l2sm1p.jpg

ibddffhyzu6doj44ky9g.jpg

tbb6prwzglsovhobm4tw.jpg

ep5iyqbxdttgfzck3gby.jpg

q1olgx5wxalj73ps1tqx.jpg

Dents, but they don't go down into the wood? Also if white flaked off, why would it be black underneath? Something is very off about that bass.

1 hour ago, VincentYGB said:

Dry wood termites. On a positive note the bass will keep getting lighter.

Excellent!  Don't people love chambered and weight-relieved guitars and basses anyway?

9 hours ago, VincentYGB said:

Dry wood termites. On a positive note the bass will keep getting lighter.

Yeah... They claim that there is no wood shown, or no hole, but I doubt that.  I know those holes and that pattern. I work in a building filled with thousands of old dusty uncared for 19th century guns from Nepal. Wood worm for daaaaayys.

For guitars? Probably powderwood beetles. Some species only attack hardwoods, and pretty much the eggs get laid into the wood, before it is finished, and since the larvae can take years to develop and emerge, this happens.

20 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Yeah... They claim that there is no wood shown, or no hole, but I doubt that.  I know those holes and that pattern. I work in a building filled with thousands of old dusty uncared for 19th century guns from Nepal. Wood worm for daaaaayys.

For guitars? Probably powderwood beetles. Some species only attack hardwoods, and pretty much the eggs get laid into the wood, before it is finished, and since the larvae can take years to develop and emerge, this happens.

Wonder if that's a warranty claim? 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Wonder if that's a warranty claim? 

Should have been, but it might be out of warranty now, and also it doesn't look like the seller is the original owner. I have seen an EBMM have this before. I wonder if they had some issues with their wood suppliers, as I think they usually get the wood ready to make into bodies.

The powderwood beetles unfortunately can lay the eggs under the surface.  However that body looks to have had a pretty severe infestation.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, tbonesullivan said:

How deep into the wood do those beetles lay eggs?  The wood will be planed down on all sides by the time a body is finished. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

How deep into the wood do those beetles lay eggs?  The wood will be planed down on all sides by the time a body is finished. 

Couldn't find much information on that unfortunately. I do know that once a guitar has a finish on it, it's very rare for beetles to get in, as they can't get through the finish.

Powderwood / post beetles are less than 5mm long as adults, and their eggs are minuscule. They usually lay eggs down grain lines.

If a body ready for paint was left out, and a beetle came in, it could easily do some damage.

Now, one good thing I guess is that powder wood beetles only go after hardwoods. They don't like the fir, pine etc usually used for the structural lumber in houses.

image.jpeg

Archived